Good, heavy duty source for SA5k+M3 Combo ($350 max)?
Sep 18, 2005 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
What (SA)CD Players do you recommend for use with the SA5000+M3 Combo (I listen mostly to trance, techno, and j-pop) that costs $350 or less? It doesn't HAVE to be a DVD Player, but it'd be a nice addition (Basically looking for top quality sound for this price range). Thanks in advance.

(To those wondering, no, I haven't gotten the SA5k's+M3 yet. And I'm posting this because I think I might want to get this upgraded source first as I'm slowly building up my cd collection and wouldn't mind not having to rip my CD's right when I get them to listen to them)

Sep 18, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 52
In your price range there are several good CDP, here are the ones I've heard and liked:

Rega Planet
NAD C542

You will easily find reviews about these on Head-Fi and I see them go for 250-350USD on audiogon all the time.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 52
People seem to really like the Onix XCD-88 in that price range ($299). Here is a thread about the player. It is a rebadged Shanling CD-S100/Music Hall MMF-CD25, which have a good reputation. This is for Redbook cd play and HDCD only though, no DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio/MP3 capabilities.

I had the Sony DVP-NC555ES for a little while and it was pretty nice for a universal player in that price range. It can play Redbook/DVD/SACD/MP3 encoded discs. You also get the 5 year Sony ES warranty which is nice. And there are modifications offered for it which reportedly bring it to a whole new level of performance. But it is a very large unit since it's a carousel changer, so if space is a concern, then look elsewhere.

Are you open to buying used? Occasionally good deals pop up on Audiogon. For example, here is a Sony SCD-C333ES used. This is the SACD player that Jude uses.
biggrin.gif
Doesn't look like that seller has any feedback though.
frown.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 52
Is there an online store anywhere for Rega stuff? Or does a specific retailer carry them (around the Dallas area)?

Edit:
Also, which would be better, a NAD C542 or something from Rega? Sorry if it seems I'm hijacking, I just didn't want to make a whole new thread when this one is already looking for the same type of price range as myself.

Sep 18, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
People seem to really like the Onix XCD-88 in that price range ($299). Here is a thread about the player. It is a rebadged Shanling CD-S100/Music Hall MMF-CD25, which have a good reputation. This is for Redbook cd play and HDCD only though, no DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio/MP3 capabilities.

I had the Sony DVP-NC555ES for a little while and it was pretty nice for a universal player in that price range. It can play Redbook/DVD/SACD/MP3 encoded discs. You also get the 5 year Sony ES warranty which is nice. And there are modifications offered for it which reportedly bring it to a whole new level of performance. But it is a very large unit since it's a carousel changer, so if space is a concern, then look elsewhere.

Are you open to buying used? Occasionally good deals pop up on Audiogon. For example, here is a Sony SCD-C333ES used. This is the SACD player that Jude uses.
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

shanling S100 cost half as much in China...well i guess it figuers.

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

If I can save that kind of money, then YES! Wow, a $1200 player for only $350? How often are there deals like that on audiogon (It'd be awesome if I could get such a high end source for only like $300-$400 and have such a high end system!)?

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
If I can save that kind of money, then YES! Wow, a $1200 player for only $350? How often are there deals like that on audiogon (It'd be awesome if I could get such a high end source for only like $300-$400 and have such a high end system!)?

All the time. Very good deals.

Now you know why I pushed for you to buy used
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 52
Well, let's not go overboard. Nobody in their right mind would spend $1200 these days to buy this Sony unit, even brand new. But I think it's about as good as you can get for this price range. Note that seller has no feedback so proceed with caution.

RogerWilco is selling a Philips 963SA on Audiogon as well. That is reported to be a good SACD and Redbook player. It can be modded for excellent results, too.

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 52
Still, that line of SACD players is great, especially if you like the Sony sound (I do). And many people use it in their reference systems, and you can mod it to take it to the extreme.

Seeing good deals is fun though
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 52
Is the Sony SCD-C222ES as good as the Sony SCD-C333ES? I know the C222ES has multichannel sound (Completely useless for non-surround sound headphones?), but I'm not sure if this compromises for worse sound quality or what. Reason I'm asking is because I saw the C222ES for sale on AudiogoN.

Sep 21, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 52
So the Rega Planet then? Any other Rega CDP's I should be aware of? Any other brands I should check out?

EDIT: Wait, which one is the Rega that you are recommending? This sleek looking player:
Planet%20copy.jpg

Or this dinky little thing:
bd_12_sb.JPG

Though I think it's strange choice to have the drive on the outside, the first one looks MUCH better (Keep in mind that size isn't an issue for me and that I'd actually prefer the player to look big, sleek, high-tech, and powerful). I want this to be my PERMANENT source, so I want the best I can get for my prive range (And it'll also be my next upgrade, so I want Rio Karma -> CDP to be as big as possible so I actually notice a difference).

EDIT2: Which SCD-C333ES were you guys recommending - this one or this one?

Is there a compilation of cd players or something? There's SO many of them in my price range and I have absolutely NO idea at all of which ones are actually good, heavy-duty/high-end sources. I was thinking of getting the C333ES, but now I'm not sure if it is even that high end and will even sound good enough for me to notice a difference after I read Iron_Dreamer's post. Is there any hiearchy of some sort of CDPs in my price range and what's better than what? First I was thinking C333ES, but that's supposed to be pretty weak and the REGA Planet is supposed to be better. But in Chisum's thread, it seems that the REGA Planet is very bland and inferior, that the NAD C542/Cyrus CD8X are better. He mentioned that the Planet is too bland and good for stuff like classical music. But, I listen to electronica/trance/techno/j-pop, so the Planet would be horrible then, would it not? Any specific player for my genre of music (Which is also represented by my choice of the SA5k's)? Keep in mind my past history and how crucial it is that I can notice a nice, big difference between Karma -> A500 and CDP -> A500.

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 52
Oh yeah, I just remembered, I don't have an amp right now and probably won't have one when I get my CDP. So, what should I do to be able to use my headphones with the CDP (Line Out would be the only way to go?)? I know that some CDP's have a headphone jack, but it seems most don't.

EDIT: VERY IMPORTANT: These cd players can play import Japanese CDs, right?

Sep 24, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 52
Bump

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 52
Bump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back