Good headphones under $50 (bass)
Oct 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

iceshark

100+ Head-Fier
I am doing a science fair experiment involving Dr. Dre headphones and need a pair of bassy headphones under $50. I wanted to use the Sony XB500's, but since Sony is a very popular brand name (this test is to see brand name biases in the consumer headphone market) along with Dr. Dre's, I am not heavily inclined to use them. Any professional brand (Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, etc.) would be appreciated. So far I am using my Shure 750's and my Sennheiser HD-25 ii's to compare them to, but I may be either switching the Sennheisers with the $50 headphones or adding them to the testing lot. If I add them to the lot and do not retract the Sennheisers, then I will not take that brand for a second time.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 12
I got the perfect HP for you. Try the Panasonic HTF600. Currently catching fire... Bassy HP in the $30 range.. You can read more about them on my thread here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650/435#post_7820495  Go to the beginning of the thread and read up on Malveaux's review on them. Astonishing for the price.. I actually have a few guys that own the Beats pros and the studios that both prefer these over them on the thread.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 12
Both of those seem like good candidates, but I'm not 100% with either of them.
First, I've never really heard of the company Superlux, and while they do seem professional I was looking more along the lines of some of the larger and more reputable ones. They look a lot like the Akg's though, which brings me to the fact that I am testing closed headphones and want to keep the design as similar as possible. The Panasonics seem quite reasonable though on both name and design, I will make sure to look at your thread thoroughly. But I think I may have to exclude the Superlux for their non-closed design (both of the headphones- the Sennheisers and Shures- are classified as DJ headphones as well).

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 12
A science fair experiment.? That sound interesting.. I think it would be interesting to have both a Dre Beats pros and one of these HTF600s next to it for a blind test to see what people would prefer.  That would be an interesting experiment.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
A science fair experiment.? That sound interesting.. I think it would be interesting to have both a Dre Beats pros and one of these HTF600s next to it for a blind test to see what people would prefer.  That would be an interesting experiment.

Actually that is one of the things I plan on doing. Since you're curious, I would be happy to give you some more detailed information. My current (subject to change, of course) plans are to have two subject groups- a listening test done with the headphones visible and the brand/model names clearly stated beforehand, and a blind test with the same headphones, but the subject chooses the headphones solely based on their sound quality as they cannot see any of them or know any information about them prior to the listening test.
Anyways, I need bassy headphones to try and fit in with the Dr. Dre headphones sound signature, and am probably choosing a song with a hip-hop sound to it. The reason I wanted an under $50 headphone was to try and add the chance to prove that a $50 headphone can be more popular than the $300 one, or at least competitive in sound quality with it!

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 12
Get the HTF600. These are perfect for your experiment. The bass on these are very similar to the XB500s but with way better mids and highs without using any type of EQ..The sound quality on these Panasonics are actually better than the beats.  I think the guys on my thread would be interested to hear the results as well as I am...Malveaux who is a huge supporter of these phones was joking around with me when he mentioned it would be interesting to take one of these Panasonics to a Best buy and let people listen to these Panasonics after sampling the Dre beats..

If you do get these.. Make sure you burn these in for a good 40 hours with some bass heavy tunes to loosen the drivers on them and they will sound absolutely full blast bass attack after..I think these are perfect for your experiment in fact I will write about this on my thread and we will follow what will happen..This will be very interesting indeed.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 12
Well it may be a while before I can get the results back since its a school thing. I'm probably going to give these Panasonics away to someone fortunate afterwards since I won't need them anymore. I will try to PM you when I get some answers.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 12
Nice.. .Well.. wait till you hear what they sound like. You might have a change of heart on giving them away. lol.. Ya for sure let me know how that turns out.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Just ordered them now from Amazon. I hope things go well. And, of course, I can't wait to try them out first too.
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 12
The Panasonic RP-HTF600-S are semi-open headphones,
They are "open" very little, they just are not a true closed headphone.

Superlux HD-669 might work for you
or the JVC HA-RX700

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #12 of 12
I'm pretty sure that the Pioneers are closed headphones. I even searched them, and many keywords came up confirming their closed design. When I mean closed I don't mean that they have to isolate very well or not leak sound, its just their general design. They sure don't look open to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back