Good headphones that don't need an amp?
Sep 18, 2013 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

A quick answer

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am willing to buy a headphone but, I want to know what would be the best quality STUDIO headphones that don't need an external amplifier. i also just want to know what specs to look at to see if a specific headphone needs an amp. i will be plugging my headphones directly into a new 2012/2013 IMac. i know the headphones won't perform to there best, but i just don't want to spend money on a headphone amp or DAC.

Cheers.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 19
OK so first we need to know a couple of things. 1) Your price range? 2) Open or closed back? 3) Do you have a preference between over the ear, on the ear, ear bud etc?

Ok so, im looking to get headphones that cost no more than 300USD. I would prefer open back, but don't mind closed. And over ear is definetly what i prefer. Thanks.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 19
Your best bet is probably a dt880 32ohm, a used hd650, grado 225i for open cans. Technically the hd650 needs an amp but plays OK through stronger headphone ports like a laptop. What headphones have you heard before and what were your impressions? This will kinda give me an idea of what type of sound you like.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 19
Your best bet is probably a dt880 32ohm, a used hd650, grado 225i for open cans. Technically the hd650 needs an amp but plays OK through stronger headphone ports like a laptop. What headphones have you heard before and what were your impressions? This will kinda give me an idea of what type of sound you like.

Ive only used the Technics RP-DH1200. I like the overall sound and design, but im looking for more of a flat response. Great headphones for djing by the way. Cheers.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 19
Hmm, you may want to pop into your local guitar center and magnolia best buy and try out some headphones. Guitar center should have the beyers and best buy may have something like the akg k550, a900x though they are closed phones. They may give you a good idea of the sound you like in relation to all the other HP's that are available out there. Personally I'm really liking my grado 225i for rock and such. The dt880 is a great sounding HP especially for about the $225-250 that you can find them used. For an entry level closed can the a900x sounds really good to me. But if you are looking for flat, your best choice may be a k701 or k702.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 19
Hmm, you may want to pop into your local guitar center and magnolia best buy and try out some headphones. Guitar center should have the beyers

This. When I went into Guitar Center last, which actually was last week, I was a bit surprised at the number of headphones they had available. I saw AKGs, Beyers, and a few Sennheiser models as well. I mean, I knew they sold headphones, but I guess I just wasn't aware that they had so many. I'm not sure if they let you try them though. I didn't notice any that were out and readily available to listen to.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 19
My Yamaha Pro 400 gets louder than anything else I have when played without an amp. It's closed, but decently well-balanced and is capable of reproducing subwoofer type bass(but it doesn't add subwoofer type bass when a song doesn't have it). 701 is very non-offensive, big-sounding, and fast enough to be exciting. Amping is necessary though. These are my top two phones. Both work pretty well with various genres. Look up the O2 amp, it's the closest I've seen to a jack of all trades amp. You could possibly get a 701 and O2 for around $300. Grado SR60 with flats is good. Samson 850 or 600 are pretty good and cheap. AKG 240 is nice but I feel like it needed an amp. I don't like many open phones, and I've heard a lot. Sennheiser 558 is ok too. Think it needs an amp though. best advice I can give is to go to as many stores and listen to stuff as you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back