Good headphones for under hat and hood?
Jan 28, 2004 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hazmat

100+ Head-Fier
I use Ety ER-4P with my iPod, but in this horrible NYC winter, I wear my hat and sometimes a hood. The hat is okay with the Etys since I can roll it up enough so they don't meet. But I cannot wear a hood with the Etys. It just pushes them around too much. Any suggestions on something that might work? The Apple earbuds are okay in sound, but they are a PITA to deal with, always moving around.

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 11
When I've been in a situation like that, I've found putting low profile earmuffs (you know, those hideous furry mounds) helps secure the Etys (or any other phone) so the hood can go on and off. I've also used a turtle fur headband for an even lower profile (and not *quite* as ugly). The turtle fur keeps the phones from dislodging but is soft enough not to shove them in your ears. Or you could really go for the stay-away-from-me-I'm-insane look and wear the turtle fur on *top* of your hood to secure it and keep it from slophing the phones. (I had a friend who used to do this and people gave him lots of berth. Of course, he was also quite huge.) Bottom line, be creative....

Jan 28, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 11
earbuds or er-6s/shures would do the job. In my experience, the er-6s have very little microphonics, much less than the er-4s.

Jan 28, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 11
Er-6s don't really stick out like er-4s. I've used them both, the er-6 is more inconspicuous, it doesn't really stick out if you plug them in right. They're really small. YMMV

Jan 28, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Oh, I forgot: I need something cheap.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lynn Lynn The City of Sin. Heh. I worked on Monroe St. for almost two years at Shore Net from 1995-1997.

Jan 28, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 11
Lynn IS the city of sin. Don't come here if you value your life
biggrin.gif
Seriously. You could just get some earbuds like the senn mx 500s, they're like 15 bucks. I currently use my stock IHP earbuds for on the go (I had mx300s that also worked well, but i gave them to my niece), they get the job done. I'm pretty sure you could get a pair from a fellow member for next to nothing (mabe even for nothing for that matter).

Jan 28, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Yeah, I've been thinking of the Sennheiser MX400. I guess they sit more tightly in your ear. They would be fine. I walked by B&H the other day, but they had closed already. Dammit.

Jan 28, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 11
They're good phones, just don't expect sound quality to be on par with you etys, but I guess you already know that. Besides if you don't like them, you wouldn't be out much money.

Jan 28, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, I have heard them before. They sound fine. My roommate used to work for Sennheiser, so he has, or at least had, everything you can imagine laying around his room. Every time I would ask about some product he'd pull it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back