Good headphones for under 300$
Feb 25, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #16 of 29
  the NAD does not require a dac or an amp though it could use a little help from something like a Dragonfly V1.2 if you want to give it a little upgrade from your computer's sound card.
Magni can drive a LOT of headphones for its money but 1 thing is that NAD doesn't need an amp and that it doesn't offer the very best sound though it is capable of driving many headphones.

I did a bit of research on the Dragonfly V1.2 though I was still more inclined to pull the trigger on the M&M stack since I feel like it's more "futureproof" so when I'll do an upgrade or
simply buy another pair of headphones I, in most case, shouldn't have to upgrade the DAC/AMP side of my setup. I know I probably will upgrade it eventually but I just felt like I would
be able to keep the M&M stack longer than the Dragonfly.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #17 of 29
  I did a bit of research on the Dragonfly V1.2 though I was still more inclined to pull the trigger on the M&M stack since I feel like it's more "futureproof" so when I'll do an upgrade or
simply buy another pair of headphones I, in most case, shouldn't have to upgrade the DAC/AMP side of my setup. I know I probably will upgrade it eventually but I just felt like I would
be able to keep the M&M stack longer than the Dragonfly.

as long as you will get something that requires more power and sonic ability I would say that is a wise call.

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #18 of 29
  as long as you will get something that requires more power and sonic ability I would say that is a wise call.

Ok thanks. So I just ordered the Modi/Magni stack from Schiit though I'm still not sure about the headphones.
The NAD Vispo HP50 seems really good though it's out of my price range. Here in Canada, I only found them at
$300~$350 while I can get the DT770 for $240 or the A900X for 270$.

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #19 of 29
well the A900x and the DT770 are both bright sounding so if your preference is towards that, it will be okay. The DT770 would have more bass. You should try to shop around though, I'm sure you will be able to find it for less then $300.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #20 of 29
  well the A900x and the DT770 are both bright sounding so if your preference is towards that, it will be okay. The DT770 would have more bass. You should try to shop around though, I'm sure you will be able to find it for less then $300.

I was also looking at the Shure SRH840. How do you think those would stand against the DT770 or the A900x?

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #21 of 29
  I was also looking at the Shure SRH840. How do you think those would stand against the DT770 or the A900x?

They're the best all rounder I know of in this price range. Note: I haven't tried A900x because of the wings. It's warm and clear, and has an accurate soundstage. I tried all the genres I listen to (every conceivable classical subgenre--so you're getting a lot of different instruments there, jazz, metal, rock) and it plays them all well. I know something else that plays each one better, but nothing so versatile as this. Build quality is good, as is isolation. The only negative is the heavy headband, which one can easily mod with HD650 foam. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #22 of 29
The AD900x are pretty decent but overall not all that fun compared to the beyers. I would say the Shures are really good all-rounders for the money though if you are going for more energy and bass, the Beyers might suit you.

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #23 of 29

They're the best all rounder I know of in this price range. Note: I haven't tried A900x because of the wings. It's warm and clear, and has an accurate soundstage. I tried all the genres I listen to (every conceivable classical subgenre--so you're getting a lot of different instruments there, jazz, metal, rock) and it plays them all well. I know something else that plays each one better, but nothing so versatile as this. Build quality is good, as is isolation. The only negative is the heavy headband, which one can easily mod with HD650 foam. 

The AD900x are pretty decent but overall not all that fun compared to the beyers. I would say the Shures are really good all-rounders for the money though if you are going for more energy and bass, the Beyers might suit you.

Thanks a lot to both of you for all the answers you've given to me. I trully appreciate. This time around, I'll pull the trigger on the Shures. Though,
I do want to put my hands on the DT770 and the A900x one day, just not today. Thanks a lot once again.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #24 of 29
Just received the Shure 840 and the M&M stack. I'm must say it's a big improvements from what I had before. I really enjoy the sound with a variety of music so far though, at the moment, I find the headphones lacking a bit of bass but not much and the high can be slightly sibilant. On the others end, the mids are really smooth and I find them actually comfortable (had them on for maybe 3 hours). I need to listen to them more but now I'm letting them burn in.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #25 of 29
For burn in, I like to alternate between music an pink noise (http://simplynoise.com/). I found that the pink noise tightens up the bass and generally makes the sound more open.

There are bass mods if you later decide you want more.

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #26 of 29
It's been 24h since the burn in process began and, I can already hear a clear difference. The bass seems a lot clearer and tighter and a tad more prominent. Overall the sound is more open as you said. I was using the JLab Burn In audio loop. I don't know if there's one better than the other but from now on I'll go with your pink noise. 

And what bass mods? The one with the socks?

EDIT : Oh and what's the recommended volume for burn in? At the moment I'm doing it at a comfortable listening level.

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #27 of 29
I haven't tried it but there's a thread about it. Search for SRH840 bass mod. It looks easy and involves removing a piece from behind the driver.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #28 of 29
I haven't tried it but there's a thread about it. Search for SRH840 bass mod. It looks easy and involves removing a piece from behind the driver.

Ok, anyway, after burn-in I find the bass quite satisfying. I not too overwhelming but not recess either. The mid bass kick is great and I don't find the high really sibilant (at least not with what I'm currently listening to). Thanks for advice about the SRH840. I trully love them and I don't think I'll do an upgrade soon. Though, I'll probably put my hands on a pair of DT770 eventually for comfort and for music involving more bass.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #29 of 29
You're most welcome. Enjoy your music. If you decide to mod the headband or sound, definitely post about it or anything else.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back