Good headphones for under 300$
Feb 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Astraks

New Head-Fier
Good morning Head-fi'ers,

I've been lurking around here for quite a while and finally decided to create an account! I'm fairly new to the audiophile world but I'm really looking foward to it. The thing is, I don't really know wich headphones I should get for my needs. I narrowed down my choice to either the ATH a900x or Beyerdynamics DT700 from what I read. I'm just not really sure yet. The wings of the a900x makes me really anxious because I'm not really sure I would like it. I choosed those two models since I need to be able to wear them for an extended period of time since it's for the office and to be closed-back to avoid annoying other co-worker. I'm also listening to a wide variety of music so they needed to be kind of a "all-rounder".

I'm also about to buy a DAC/AMP, probably Schiit's Modi/Magni combo. Would it be enough to drive any of those two headphones?

If you have any other suggestion, feel free to propose me something different. I still have a lot to learn.

I did my best for my research on this topic before but I felt really confuse in the answers I found were pretty mixed.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 29
You should seriously consider the NAD Viso HP50 for an all-rounder

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 29
  Those two cans have very different sound signature, with the 900x being more neutral and a better all-arrounder.

Have you checked the buying guide linked in the first page of this thread?

Yes I did checked the buying guide. I just though those two were the closest to my needs.
And yeah, I know that the 900x is a better all-arrounder, I'm just not really confident in this
whole wings system.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 29

Those two cans have very different sound signature, with the 900x being more neutral and a better all-arrounder.

Have you checked the buying guide linked in the first page of this thread?

Yes I did checked the buying guide. I just though those two were the closest to my needs.
And yeah, I know that the 900x is a better all-arrounder, I'm just not really confident in this
whole wings system.

There's no way to know other than trying them yourself.  Everyone's head sensitivities and head size & shape are different.

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 29

There's no way to know other than trying them yourself.  Everyone's head sensitivities and head size & shape are different.

Yeah I know. At first I wanted to order them and, in case I don't really like them, I can just sell them. Though, I don't know if the reseller
on amazon.ca is really legit. I don't want to buy a simple immitation. Also, does the a900x required an amp to drive them?

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 29

You should seriously consider the NAD Viso HP50 for an all-rounder

Is an amp needed for those? Before you mentionned it I've never heard of them. 

No--see:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 29

No--see:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

Ok thanks for your help. I'll probably pull the trigger on this one. Though, I'm wondering, is the Modi a good DAC?
I was thinking at first getting the Modi/Magni but if an amp is not required, I should only get the DAC I guess. And,
by getting the Modi, if later on I need to get an amp for another set of headphones, the Magni will suit it perfectly.
Am I right?

Sorry I'm really new to all this.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 29
the NAD does not require a dac or an amp though it could use a little help from something like a Dragonfly V1.2 if you want to give it a little upgrade from your computer's sound card.
Magni can drive a LOT of headphones for its money but 1 thing is that NAD doesn't need an amp and that it doesn't offer the very best sound though it is capable of driving many headphones.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 29
+1
I don't even know why I even try any more...

Even better, you could try to pick up a Dragonfly V1 for a mere $99 USD...

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 29
+1
I don't even know why I even try any more...

Even better, you could try to pick up a Dragonfly V1 for a mere $99 USD...

Well the V1.2 is supposed to sound better but I tried it with the McIntosh McAire speaker getting audio from a computer via the V1.2 which is not something I can judge because there was not a V1 and also even though the signal was coming out of the dragonfly, it goes past the McIntosh analog stage probably or something so in the end, I am not to judge this. I do however think it is a wise idea to spend 50 bucks more for the new version as every review I read so far recommends it.(also the hi-fi show was REALY noisy)
The V1.2 with the NAD might be the last thing you would ever need unless you get addicted to open-headphones like me with the HD650, LCD-3, or the RS-1i.

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 29
or like Fatmansize, the DX50 is a excellent choice if you want mobile.(I love mine<3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back