good headphones for Piano sound
May 17, 2008 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

lucky_star

Banned
Can anyone tell me some nice headphone for listening to Piano sound? Price is open
wink.gif

May 17, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 27
AKG K501 is very nice...best midrange out there IMHO.

Of course, for real live impact, there's nothing quite like the K1000.
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 27
Got to be a planar headphone in order to best properly reproduce the resonance of piano. And saying your price is open on this website is asking for trouble. Have you got 10 grand?

May 17, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 27
thanks everyone. I know I shouldn't say "price open" on the forum
wink.gif
. Thanks for saving my wallet
rolleyes.gif

Are there any headphones good for piano without using amp?
I am planning to use for portable need.
thanks

May 17, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 27
That cuts the field down quite considerably then.

Whats your upper price limit or price range? Portable audio without an amp takes you from $10 to $1100 still.

May 17, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky_star /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks everyone. I know I shouldn't say "price open" on the forum
wink.gif
. Thanks for saving my wallet
rolleyes.gif

Are there any headphones good for piano without using amp?
I am planning to use for portable need.
thanks

Livewires Customs pass the piano test, no amp needed, but everything gets better as the source and amp get better.

Second choice for portable piano, STAX-SR-001 Mk2

Third choice portable piano, Q-JAYS

May 17, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 27
Hmm, not sure without an amp. But I further suggest the HD600's.

May 18, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 27
$300 and I would be looking at Livewires IEMs (which I've been lucky enough to hear because of having a similar ear shape to an owner), the BabyStax SR-001 (which I've had before and loved) and at your pick of more efficient orthodynamic headphones.

The Livewires sound lovely right out of an iPod although there is a slight hiss because of their sensitivity its overcome as soon as anything plays. The SR-001 means that you've also got to carry around their partner amplifier which takes 2 AA batteries and is compatible in size to an iPod photo. The Livewires will offer excellent blockage of outside noise whereas the Stax will offer very little blockage of outside noise. An ortho option means a larger sized headphone and depending on the model, a need for an amp.

Up at the big money level you're looking at the Ultimate Ears UE10 and UE11 custom IEMs.

I would recommend doing some searches (use the advanced search) on these items. It'll dig you up a lot of material including comparisons to other products and standalone reviews.

Suntory Times has quite obviously not bothered to read that you're looking for a portable headphone to use unamped.

I see that your location is California, its a big place, depending on where you are you maybe near other head-fiers. This being the case theres bound to be a meet at some point where you would be able to go along and try all kinds of gear. Check out the meets forum.

Hope this helps some.

May 18, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 27
There was a resent discussion about the piano and the Ultrasone Edition 9. Search on those terms and you may find some fun posts. I think the 9s are great for the piano.

May 18, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 27
You might like the Beyerdynamic DT48. It's one of the best I've heard with piano. B&H lists them at $400, but their special price they e-mail you is $305. They're fairly sensitive and not bad out of an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back