Good headphones for classical/opera??
Jun 27, 2005 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

la_marquise

100+ Head-Fier
Well in under a month since I've joined Head-fi, I've picked up the following starter cans:
ER6i, HD280, MS1, and waiting on a used PIMETA to arrive *rubs hands in glee*

Now all the cans have been really really good to me so far, but I can't seem to find any of them to be good for choral, classical and opera. Opera sounds a bit too "bright" on my MS1s, while the HD280 managed to round off (roll off? is this what you call rolling??) the treble power of poor ol' Pavarotti such that I don't feel that famous high C as much as I should. The ER6i's I find to be uncomfortably "close" for opera....

Any recommedations on a good headphone for this genre? If I get the MS2i, would they be as bright as the MS1s? I am looking at HD580/HD600, and maybe trying out some Beyers and ATs....

Source: Ipod photo 320 kbps AAC-->ER6i/HD280/MS1 (waiting for appar111's JMT PIMETA to arrive hehe!
280smile.gif
)

Thanks from a newbie!

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 32
I think two of the top contenders will be the Sennheiser HD 650 or Beyerdynamic DT 880. I've never had a chance to hear a DT 880 but have an idea of how it compares to the 650. The 650 has more bass, the 880 has more emphasis on the treble. The 880 is probably a little more comfortable than the 650, which is also comfortable but it can sometimes get warm after it has been worn about an hour.

Personally, I am very happy with my HD 650, particularly after adding the Equinox upgrade cable. I do not plan to change it for anything else soon.
600smile.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 32
I initially bought my Grado SR 225's because they were outstanding for listening to opera and I've never regretted my choice. I attend The Met regularly so I knoweth what I speak.
Having said that, what I don't know is headphones. I'm sure there are better but I just haven't heard them and I'm looking forward to exploring the Grado/Senn high end.
I believe I read here that Joe(?) Grado was an opera singer so it might explain the 225's profiency.

Jun 27, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 32
I think the MS-2i would be too bright for your tastes.

Jun 27, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 32
try inverting the bowls on your ms-1 [they come with bowls... right?
confused.gif
] - it brings the drivers closer to your ears and tones down the highs somewhat.

if you like what you hear, try gripping the sides of the drivers and pushing them closer to your ears (do NOT cover the grilles). if you like that even more, buy yourself some flat pads and let your wallet sigh in relief.
wink.gif

however - if you are looking for a completely different type of sound, the k501 or dt880 may do it for you. the k501's emphasis is towards the upper midrange. voices have a really lifelike quality on k501. the dt880's emphasis is on the highs and it also has an incredibly liquid bass..

hope that helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 32
I've always preferred the Senns for that sort of music, the 650's if possible, the 600's if not.

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
Well in under a month since I've joined Head-fi, I've picked up the following starter cans:
ER6i, HD280, MS1, and waiting on a used PIMETA to arrive *rubs hands in glee*

Now all the cans have been really really good to me so far, but I can't seem to find any of them to be good for choral, classical and opera. Opera sounds a bit too "bright" on my MS1s, while the HD280 managed to round off (roll off? is this what you call rolling??) the treble power of poor ol' Pavarotti such that I don't feel that famous high C as much as I should. The ER6i's I find to be uncomfortably "close" for opera....

Any recommedations on a good headphone for this genre? If I get the MS2i, would they be as bright as the MS1s? I am looking at HD580/HD600, and maybe trying out some Beyers and ATs....

Source: Ipod photo 320 kbps AAC-->ER6i/HD280/MS1 (waiting for appar111's JMT PIMETA to arrive hehe!
280smile.gif
)

Thanks from a newbie!

I've also been looking for a good headphone for classical, as I am a classical musician, and have been trying to find something that reproduces classical timbres accurately--at least accurately as I expect them.

I have tried similar phones to the ones you mentioned (HD650, sr225, sr325) and none of them seemed to be what I was looking for. The HD650 was probably the best, but there was something about it that didn't sound quite right to me. I think it was that the bass seemed to overwhelm the overall presentation much more than it would in reality. It has a gorgeous lush sound, and is very enjoyable and easy to listen to, so it might suit you well, it's just not ideal, imo.

The sr325 was probably better than the sr225, though the 225 seemed to have the advantage of slightly tamer highs. Really though, the Grados, in general, while still fun to listen to classical with, particularly with well recorded smaller ensembles, just do not seem to accurately reproduce orchestral timbres.

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
try inverting the bowls on your ms-1 [they come with bowls... right?
confused.gif
] - it brings the drivers closer to your ears and tones down the highs somewhat.

I already have the hd414 yellow pads with the quarter cut out mod on them...
as they come with Grado comfies...

It's just that I am going for a more "concert hall" feel, more so than being on stage with opera singers singing directly AT me per se....The MS1s do bring out the vocals brilliantly, but to the point of overwhelming the orchestra at times...
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dk123
I have tried similar phones to the ones you mentioned (HD650, sr225, sr325) and none of them seemed to be what I was looking for. The HD650 was probably the best, but there was something about it that didn't sound quite right to me. I think it was that the bass seemed to overwhelm the overall presentation much more than it would in reality. It has a gorgeous lush sound, and is very enjoyable and easy to listen to, so it might suit you well, it's just not ideal, imo.

The sr325 was probably better than the sr225, though the 225 seemed to have the advantage of slightly tamer highs. Really though, the Grados, in general, while still fun to listen to classical with, particularly with well recorded smaller ensembles, just do not seem to accurately reproduce orchestral timbres.

I think that was why I was thinking about the MS2i as they are modded from the SR325i/SR225 I believe...I like the Alessandro in solo piano or chamber, as well as for jazz, rock, and hip/hop. My HD280 is really good for modern pieces from Phillip Glass and Ryuichi Sakamoto as they capture that angsty eeriness in their scores quite well (listened to "Love is the Devil" soundtrack last night...very very atmostpheric. The MS1s gave me the musical enjoyment of it for analysising, but the HD280 gave the context...) Trip-hop and electronica I think are also preferred on the HD280 because it sounds more loungy and clubby than the MS1.

As for the orchestral timbres, maybe it is a soundstage problem? The Grado/Alessandro sound is too intimate and upfront for orchestra to my liking. Mind you, that's because I've never really like being in the front 2-3 rows of a performance, I like being about 5-10 rows back. It just sounds clearer to me at that range.

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
however - if you are looking for a completely different type of sound, the k501 or dt880 may do it for you. the k501's emphasis is towards the upper midrange. voices have a really lifelike quality on k501. the dt880's emphasis is on the highs and it also has an incredibly liquid bass.

By different, what exactly do you mean? I am open to trying just about anything short of "Ear speakers", electrostats and tube amps (*wallet is giving me a petrified look and scampering off while shrieking in abject pain...*) But I would like something solid that I can grow with for a while...

How do people find the HD600s with the woodies and re-cabling from Headphile, btw? He's got a pair that I am rather interested in ...

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 32
The HD-590s are great with unamplified acoustic music.

See ya
Steve

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dk123
I've also been looking for a good headphone for classical, as I am a classical musician, and have been trying to find something that reproduces classical timbres accurately--at least accurately as I expect them.

It was already mentioned once in this thread, but I've read that AKG 501 are made for classical music.

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #14 of 32
The AKG 501 has shrill highs from my investigations. I wouldn't recommend them with bright material. I don't like the way they present big band brass (is that how you say it
600smile.gif
) and the violin (sounds like something is missing but it still sounds good - not sterile sounding), but other then that everything is great when it comes to orchrestral music. They don't particularly convey complex music (when the whole orchrestral comes together loud) but I've yet to hear anything be it speaker or headphone that can do that well. Maybe I'm expecting too much
confused.gif

They sound good with vocals too especially male ones
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back