Good headphones for a loud office environment?
Jul 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gsilver

100+ Head-Fier
Budget: up to $400 used
Main concerns: blocking sudden sharp noises; active noise cancelling is not very important, because the only constant noise is a fairly benign air conditioner, but there's lots of talking, coughing, typing, etc. I also need a set comfortable enough to wear for 4-8 hours a day.
Musical preference: Mostly jazz, some rock.

IEMs aren't really an option. I have some that I use at the gym, and while they do block a lot of noise, I can't wear them for extended periods of time.

I have a ATH-M50 that I've been using, but I need something that can block more sound, especially because the CEO has become fond of the "open office environment" (no sound insulation at all for the entire floor) which will be implemented in my working area within the next few weeks.
What would you guys recommend?

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 8
IEM's aren't an option??

I'm afraid (from my experience) these will be the only things that can help you here my friend!

There are plenty of different levels of comfort that different iem's deliver, ranging from the damn right ultra uncomfortable (5 mins max a day without severe pain) to the very decently comfortable (15 hours a day)

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 8
Have you tried lots of different tips on IEMs?  Different IEMs + tip combinations can have a dramatically different comfort level.  Try some Shure olives or Comply in different sizes.  Also, I find most dynamic driver IEMs uncomfortable because the body is typically too large - a BA with a stem (like a Westone) work much better for me. Closed headphones make my ears hot...  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 8
Bump. As for IEMs, I have some Shure SE535s, which have a fairly thin stem, but I still can't really use them for long periods of time, even with Olive and Comply tips (which I do prefer out of the various ones that I've tried). They keep the AC up pretty high at the office, so ears getting hot doesn't matter... I wear a coat all day at work to stay warm!

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 8
U can find salvation in the Phillips uptown...
V comfy...captivating vocals...looks executive somewhat...v light on the head
Blocks out 90% of the sound at Macdonalds right this moment.
N only 150...or less if u can find someone who hates it.
:p

Jul 28, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 8
Earsonics SM3v2.

The IEM that is so good, I will bet you $20 you'll like them. It's completely taste netural, so anybody with any genre of music could appreciate it.

I do not work for Earsonics or Sound Earphones (best place to buy them because of return policy) but I got a pair and it basically negated any interest I had in custom IEM's for a rather long time given how easily I get bored with gear.

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 8
Buy Sony XB500 and a ZO amplifier. I garutentee to you - you won't hear a damn thing around you. :wink:

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Buy Sony XB500 and a ZO amplifier. I garutentee to you - you won't hear a damn thing around you.
wink.gif

Not really the point of why I'm buying them. It's to block out distractions so that I can focus on work. Obviously, I do want to have music playing, and I want it to sound good, but I'm not going to have it very loud.

I'm kind of iffy on Philips as a brand, but the Uptown is at least designed for what I'm looking for.

Anything else I should look at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back