Good headphones for a dorm room situation (AH-D2000?)
Dec 25, 2008 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

zagadooga

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, its been a while...
Anyway I got a pair of Sennheiser HD595s for Christmas today after nearly two years of the HD485s. The sound quality in general is better but I soon found out after I put them into operation that they leak sound (in and out) like crazy.

This is not acceptable as next year I'm going off to college, and I'm going to need cans that can both insulate me (to a certain degree) from the chatter next door, and keep my roommate from leaving in a huff on account of the sound leakage.

I'll probably be returning the HD595s, but I really need (want) an upgrade. I was looking at the Denon AH-D2000s. The features I like in them (from what I've been reading) are the fact that that they are closed (hence more sound containment/isolation?), lots of bass (this is essential), comfort (also essential), and price.

I've really been liking the sound signature of the HD595s (though admittedly, they could use some more impactive bass) but I need headphones that are more usable in a dorm room situation. Do you guys think that the Denons are the right way to go (considering also my sonic tastes) and if not, where else should I look? Thank you all,

Z

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 15
Denon 2000 are comfy for sure, and my fav thus far.
They do not have the best isolation in the world, but may be ok for your situation(as far as not disturbing others).

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

They do not have the best isolation in the world, but may be ok for your situation(as far as not disturbing others).

This is what I'm thinking. I don't want to feel "quarantined", but the level of sound that escapes from the HD595s is just too much...

Dec 25, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 15
A few closed cans to consider are:

1. Denon AH-D2000
2. Denon AH-D5000
3. Equation Eartool RP21
4. Ultrasone HFI-780
5. Ultrason PROline 750
6. Audio Technica ATH-W1000
7. Audio Technica ATH-W5000

Budget will be a big determining factor as well as how much you are willing to spend to improve the sound of the headphone. For example the HFI-780 need at least 400 hours of burn-in and a better cable. You could get buy w/ a re-cable by S2 which does a lot to improve the unit at about $125.

The D2000 are very nice, I would do the MarkL mods at about $160 and while in his hands I would buy from him the cable from a D5000 to further improve on the sound. Total of $200 plus the D2000.

The ATH-W1000 IMO sound great and if bought used you could get them for about $325 delivered. The only improvement I can think off is the leather pads from the W5000 at about $65.

Good luck.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaydeltax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the ugliest ones so your roommate doesn't steal them.

Better yet, get a good IEM so your earwax is all over them AND your roommate can't find it (to steal it) AND you can't hear him (only bad in an emergency) AND he can't hear your music.

If you must get a regular headphone, I've heard good things about the D2000 (been considering them myself).

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 15
Another pair to consider is the Beyerdynamic DT 770/80. That isolates really well and I find them to be very comfortable. Do some research on sound quality, as there are many others who are far more qualified to comment on this than I am (only having heard them once).

Nylan

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 15
Just my two cents, but I haven't heard of any problems with an abundance of sound annoying your dorm buddies. if their not dicks, their not gonna care about a little big of leakage. Theft however, is a big concern in dorms, take care of your phones.

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUINNE55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just my two cents, but I haven't heard of any problems with an abundance of sound annoying your dorm buddies. if their not dicks, their not gonna care about a little big of leakage. Theft however, is a big concern in dorms, take care of your phones.

If the roomate hates your taste in music, he might have some issues with sound leakage, however.

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 15
I personally would worry about 3 things.

Isolation, if you can hear your roommate/dorm noise, then you will start to crank up the volume. Quieter, more isolation, clearly hear at safe volumes.

Comfort, long studying periods. Nothing like your ears hurting, fatiguing or becoming an annoyance.

Theft, I have never had a roommate within the same room. Even freshman year I had my own bedroom, which I locked whenever I wasn't there. So good luck in ensuring your new headphones are kept safe.

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #11 of 15
As previously stated, the D2000's contain well, but do not isolate. If that works for you, then they are a great choice, even more so with MarkL (lawton audio) mods.

Their baby brother, the D1001 is quite similar, and a lot less money.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better yet, get a good IEM so your earwax is all over them AND your roommate can't find it (to steal it) AND you can't hear him (only bad in an emergency) AND he can't hear your music.

I like your thinking.

How about not cleaning your ears for the better part of a week? This way, you'll achieve an astounding level of wax to phone ratio.

I can see sound leakage, and theft being my two biggest concerns. Books are too damn expensive to go losing a pair of nice $100+ headphones.

Dec 26, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaydeltax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like your thinking.

How about not cleaning your ears for the better part of a week? This way, you'll achieve an astounding level of wax to phone ratio.

I can see sound leakage, and theft being my two biggest concerns. Books are too damn expensive to go losing a pair of nice $100+ headphones.

Theft is going to be #1 when dealing with poor (or drunk) college students. Trust me, after living with some very shifty roommates in my time (and having some klepto friends as well), it's not such a bad idea to invest in a small personal safe for your most expensive valuables, no matter what decision is made on headphones.

Dec 26, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 15
i use my D2000's for my dorm room and they work great. to be honest, i think my listening volume is higher than average since i can't really hear much outside noise when playing music and my room mates can definitely hear the leakage. i still hear sirens and door alarms, but normal talking is at least reduced to a mutter with them on.

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Theft is going to be #1 when dealing with poor (or drunk) college students. Trust me, after living with some very shifty roommates in my time (and having some klepto friends as well), it's not such a bad idea to invest in a small personal safe for your most expensive valuables, no matter what decision is made on headphones.

Personal safe...EXCELLENT IDEA!

I second the safe idea. It might be nice to have one which is also fireproof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back