Good headphone for classical music!
Mar 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

fmr94

New Head-Fier
Hi! I would like to buy a pair of cans good for classical music! I like very much senn hd 650 senn hd600, grado ps 500 and grado rs2i. Wich of them is better for classical music? Any Suggestions? 

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 42
Those are pretty different headphones; when you say you like them, have you heard them?

The Sennheisers are generally the popular choice for classical, but I tend to prefer higher end Grado. If you're looking at the PS500, you should probably also listen to the RS1i for its superior rendering of wooden stringed instruments. 

Quote:
Hi! I would like to buy a pair of cans good for classical music! I like very much senn hd 650 senn hd600, grado ps 500 and grado rs2i. Wich of them is better for classical music? Any Suggestions? 

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 42
Forget the Grados. They are far too colored and have an inadequate sound stage for classical. The HD600 would be my easy suggestion. One of the best headphones for classical music at any price point. The 650 is no slouch either, but the more neutral tonality of the 600 works better with most classical works. You do need a decently powerful amp to drive these well, however.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 42
Higher end Grados tend to do a much better job of layering music than I've found in the Sennheisers, so I tend to disagree with your assessment which will probably come as a surprise to nobody.

I suggest that the OP try both out, and see what they think. 

Quote:
Forget the Grados. They are far too colored and have an inadequate sound stage for classical. The HD600 would be my easy suggestion. One of the best headphones for classical music at any price point. The 650 is no slouch either, but the more neutral tonality of the 600 works better with most classical works. You do need a decently powerful amp to drive these well, however.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 42
I don't listen to too much classical, but I have a pair of MB Quart 450 which I believe are now German Maestro or CharterOak. From reviews that I have read in the past they are highly rates for classical.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 42
AKG's should sound nice with classical music due to their excellent mid range and large soundstage.

I personally own the K601 model and they sound really nice with classical music. I'm currently listening to Radetzky March by Johann Strauss and it sounds so nice.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 42
What I should have asked:

OP, what is your budget? Are there any genres other than classical that you intend to use your headphones with? Once you get past the RS2 Grado price range, there are much better choices if you are looking for a pure classical headphone. Also, if you want a more Grado like sound that does classical better, the Beyerdynamic DT880 is a great choice.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 42

Quote:
What I should have asked:

OP, what is your budget? Are there any genres other than classical that you intend to use your headphones with? Once you get past the RS2 Grado price range, there are much better choices if you are looking for a pure classical headphone. Also, if you want a more Grado like sound that does classical better, the Beyerdynamic DT880 is a great choice.

my budget is max 600$ (450 euros). I bought ultrasone pro 900 some days ago but I have had some problem with them... the singers' voice is distorted and too recessed from di soundstage of instruments... shall I burn-in them for long time? I generally listen to symphonic music, but also hard rock, and jazz... But i think that ultasone should be good at reproducing these kind of music if the problem is just to burn in them

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 42
It still depends on your personal preference. I love bass when I listen to pop music. To me the HD600 makes the timpani slightly too boomy and is slightttly overwhelming in symphonies, but the lower strings sound great. I'm a violinist so I like the  higher notes xD and the AKG q701 has just the right amount of bass for me. I also have the ATH ad500 but those are actually too bass light lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back