Good headphone amp + USB DAC + 2.0/2.1 amp under $500? NAD D3020, Teac A-H01. What else?
Jun 2, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #16 of 33
I'm in exactly the same boat. Both amps look great. While the NAD wins on reputation and probably a better headphone amp, the Teac wins on price. One concern I have is the power rating for the Teac's headphone jack. Is it high enough to power harder to drive headphones that you might get in the future? 

D3020: "Specially designed low noise headphone circuitry can accommodate a wide range of phones, even 600 Ohm studio models."
A-H01: 50mW + 50mW (32 ohms loaded)

Does the A-H01 seems low on the headphone output?

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #17 of 33
Heres's a new one:

Aune X1 Pro

I think it has all the preamp/headphone amp features, including variable line out. Also has analog line in.

link to manual
http://pic3.hifidiy.net/www/2014/aune/manual/X1_SE_manual_20140509.pdf
scroll down for english :)

Looks to be in the $200 range on ebay, but I don't know about europe. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #18 of 33
I am choosing exactly between these two. I have listened to both today. A-H01 sounded great with HE-500, but unfortunately I had no drivers for it at the moment so its output was glitchy. And NAD D3020 left me puzzled, because I couldn't hear almost any improvement. It sounded like my current Fiio E17 was given a bit more power. If I did everything right, it's just useless.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #19 of 33
Just realised I didn't finish the story. I'd bought myself a used Teac A-H01, but then I realised that the DAC would not work on my office PC because it needed drivers which could only be installed with administrator rights. So I had to buy an external, driverless optical-out USB sound card for my office PC and use the Teac's optical in.
In the meantime I kept searching for alternatives and found the Aune X1. A few weeks later (end of May) I went to the Munich High-End fair, where I was able to get an Aune X1 Pro and X2 at a bargain price directly at the Aune stand.
I did a short comparison on my home PC, and the Aune X1 Pro could drive my AKG K501 and K702 with much more ease than the Teac A-H01. So, eventually, I decided to let the Teac go and to keep the Aune, which I warmly recommend.

Oct 16, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #20 of 33
I finally got a NAD D3020 and I'm disappointed. The amp is just not powerful enough, either thought speakers (deftech sm350) or through headphones (dt-990 250Ohm). The UI isn't good either. Takes 5-10 seconds to turn on. Remote has black on black buttons, so hard to read. Has a 3.5mm HP jack rather than a 6mm jack. Bottom line is that I will probably not keep it, but I haven't decided. It's one hugh benefit is its size. I rally miss the off/A/B speaker switch on my NAD 7020, so I might end up getting a full size integrated amp/DAC from Yamaha/onkyo/denon/Sony.

Oct 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #21 of 33
I finally got a NAD D3020 and I'm disappointed. The amp is just not powerful enough, either thought speakers (deftech sm350) or through headphones (dt-990 250Ohm). The UI isn't good either. Takes 5-10 seconds to turn on. Remote has black on black buttons, so hard to read. Has a 3.5mm HP jack rather than a 6mm jack. Bottom line is that I will probably not keep it, but I haven't decided. It's one hugh benefit is its size. I rally miss the off/A/B speaker switch on my NAD 7020, so I might end up getting a full size integrated amp/DAC from Yamaha/onkyo/denon/Sony.

You might also look and see if you can find a lightly used or refurbished HK 3490. It's a stereo receiver, but essentially an integrated amp with a tuner and a built in DAC. 120 watts x 2 into 8 ohms.

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #22 of 33
You might also look and see if you can find a lightly used or refurbished HK 3490. It's a stereo receiver, but essentially an integrated amp with a tuner and a built in DAC. 120 watts x 2 into 8 ohms.

Thanks, but from what I can see, the 3490 doesn't have a DAC or digital inputs. Also, I'm not sure there is way to have the headphones plugged in and still have the speakers play.

The D3020 is starting to grow on me. As long as I don't get planners or 600 Ohm cans, I should be OK. I just wish it had a better user experience. 

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #23 of 33
Thanks, but from what I can see, the 3490 doesn't have a DAC or digital inputs.

It does. Look again if you are interested.

Also, I'm not sure there is way to have the headphones plugged in and still have the speakers play.

I think that is probably the case with many integrated amps.

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #24 of 33
It does. Look again if you are interested.
I think that is probably the case with many integrated amps.

The following amps and receivers do not turn off the speakers with the headphones plugged:

Onkyo A-5VL 
Yamaha integrated amps
Marantz amps
Yamaha Natural Sound receivers

There are probably many more, but not the compact ones.

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #25 of 33
The following amps and receivers do not turn off the speakers with the headphones plugged:

Onkyo A-5VL 
Yamaha integrated amps
Marantz amps
Yamaha Natural Sound receivers

There are probably many more, but not the compact ones.

Some amps run the headphones off the speaker amp so that you get plenty of power. The tiny digital amps probably have separate digital headphone amps.

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #26 of 33
man. I am in the same bought as all you guys. 
I have my eye on the TEAC AI-301DA.
Its a newer version of the A-H01 which came out nearly 2 years ago and I this has since been discountiened in the USA. 
I live in Japan, so like the OP my options are limited. 

I am also looking for the whole package. DAC, decent headphone output for IEMs and stuff like the AKG q701s which are power hungry, AND I want to run 2.0 or 2.1 speakers. 

The TEAC seems perfect. Sells for 550 in the USA and only 350 in Japan. A STEAL! 
but I am worried will it drive my head phones???
100mw per channel at 32ohms. 
someone told me here on head-fi the AKG q701 need AT LEAST 250-500 mw per channel. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #27 of 33
I ended up getting both a nad d3020 (used, $300) and a used nuforce icon 2 ($115). Both sound good, but aren't extremeley powerful. If you need power, you might consider a Mavericks a1 and a modi dac. Alternatively, just get a full size integraged amp if you have the space.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #28 of 33
The best thing would be to test the teac with your akgs yourself to see if you get enough power. Either in a retail store or ordering it online and returning it in case you are not satisfied. I listen at low volumes and, although the teac didn't drive my k702 with the same ease as the aune, I would not have changed it, if it weren't for the driver issue (see my previous post).

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #29 of 33
I think the TEAC AI-101 may also be a replacement for the A-H01. Only place I can find that sells it is here:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX54668

Very basic and no remote.Teac info at

http://www.teac.com/product/ai-101da/overview/

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #30 of 33
@Allanmarcus,
the AI-101DA is indeed an interesting product. It adds Bluetooth aptX streaming to the A-H01 and doubles the power of the headphone output, which is the main issue I had with the A-H01.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back