Good Headphone Amp, Do I really have to spend over $400?
Jun 21, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #94 of 117
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
The Little will not show the full capabilities of the HD600's. Neither will any SONY CD player, though, or most CD players. But I have two SONY CD units (my main one is a Rega) and they will sound ok though for the Little.

I feel somehow compelled to answer this quote, but I'm not sure with what exactly. Umm, I agree that the ultimate limitation with almost every digital system is the source, not the driver? And yet, I think as far as digital sources go, my Sony holds its own and um, I think it'd probably best the Rega. It's a good enough CD player in stock form to make me want for better amps, at least.

Jun 21, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #95 of 117
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

kw

In my experience, the Max had slightly better bass than the Corda so you may wanna stick with the Max, given your handicapped cans.
wink.gif

Ow! Low blow! You mean to say that my HD-600s have lousy bass? I thought so!

Jun 21, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #96 of 117
TeamH3: I can't comment on Headroom's Little, but I've owned and used the Corda HA-1 for several months, now. So far, it would be difficult for me to find anything bad to say about it. There's plenty to say about the positive aspects, though: Build and part quality seem very good. Setup is easy. Crossfeed can be quite nice to play around with, though I'm not very much into it. And most important: Sound quality is very good with a wide range of headphones. In addition, the small formfactor as well as the big volume knob make it very convenient for me: When I want to listen to music at night-time I just set up the Corda and my old Sanyo pcdp right next to me on my bed-sofa in a few seconds - no hassle with remote controls and confusing buttons... I also like its black professional look and the fact that the enclosure is closed (things can get rather dusty in my place...
wink.gif
).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 21, 2002 at 8:27 AM Post #97 of 117
One of the things to remember about a high priced amp with HD600's.

There are NO amps available that are too good for the 600.

Headroom uses HD600's with special cables for the Blockhead, arguably the BEST headphone amp on the planet and definitely not cheap. I beleive it's Tyll that says something like "That thing's insane."

I'm using a Total Airhead (new 9 volt) with my 600's. I plan to upgrade in September to a "Little - Premium Module". I wish I had the money for a "Maxed Out Home", but semi-retirement limits my finances.

I really don't want to have to get a real job now, so Little is it.

Get the best amp you can affors, or maybe one up from there. You won't be disappointed.

Jun 21, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #98 of 117
Could anyone recommend a online store preferably in the USA that sells the headroom little for a very competitive price.

www.headphone.com is selling it for 259$ but I was hoping to find another store that might sell it cheaper. I'm looking for a new amp to power my hd 590's and 600's

It seems as if the technology driving the headroom little is a "little" outdated... no pun intended. Or does that really matter? I know as speaker/amp tech improve, they tend to become better.

Jun 21, 2002 at 11:06 AM Post #99 of 117
Headroom manufactures and is the ONLY dealer for the Headrrom amps.

The technology in the "Little" is not outdated. Headroom makes running changes in all their products as improved components become available, provided those improvements don't create a price increase or not much of one.

They just recently improved the standard power supply on the Little, making the "Little - More Power" not as good a deal as the "Little - Premium Module - Standard Power".

Jun 21, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #100 of 117
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso

I'm using a Total Airhead (new 9 volt) with my 600's. I plan to upgrade in September to a "Little - Premium Module". I wish I had the money for a "Maxed Out Home", but semi-retirement limits my finances.

I really don't want to have to get a real job now, so Little is it.

Get the best amp you can affors, or maybe one up from there. You won't be disappointed.

I have the Little More Power Premium, paid $679 for it in March. I plan to move up to the attentuator Max in a month or two. Maybe you'd like to buy mine for say $450?? The maxed Little is great but I have a fever for the Max since I have a good source.

Jun 22, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #101 of 117
Before you shell out $200, $400, or even $800 for a dedicated headphone amplifier, decide what it is that you want from such a purchase.

Pride of ownership, exclusivity, bragging rights, being a member of the "in crowd", are all valid reasons for buying any consumer product be it audio equipment, automobile, or designer clothing.

If, however, your purchase decision is based on a desire to further explore the full audio potential of your recent purchase of the HD-600 headphones, consider purchasing a previously owned stereo integrated amplifier or stereo receiver.

I'm not suggesting that you need to start out by purchasing a vintage all-tube rig to experience the best possible sound from your 600s. Solid state, discrete transistor (no integrated circuits or op amps need apply) audio amplifiers and receivers from the late 1960s, all of the 1970s, and up to the early 1980s offer an incredible bargain waiting for today's savy headphone enthusiast.

Instead of struggling to match the power demands of the latest dynamic headphone designs with the puny power output available through the headphone jack of most of today's crop of audio gear, consider a modestly powered stereo receiver, with say 20 watts or so of true 8 ohm, RMS FTC rated audio power from the 1970s.

You want bragging rights, ok, buy a vintage piece of Marantz audio equipment from the early to mid 1970s. The higher powered Marantz receiver models such as the model 2270 are well known for their conservative power ratings and superior sound and attract a significant following, and not surprizingly command relatively high used equipment prices. No matter, the lower powered 2215, 2220, and 2230 Marantz receivers from the same period are largely unappreciated and can often be purchased online for a bargain price. If you want to see for yourself, check out the prices on eBay.

Other high quality, but lesser known and/or underappreciated brands of transistor-based audio equipment from the same period include Fisher, Harman Kardan, Sansui, Scott, Technics, and Yamaha.

Many of these fine old receivers fetch less than $50, sometimes way less. Even factoring shipping and insurance, your final cost should be far less than $75. Often these units have scratchy volume controls. This can usually be fixed with judicious application of one of the better cleaner/deoxidizer sprays. Sometimes one or more of the front display lights are not functioning, usually replacement bulbs are available. If you are going to spend any time listening to the FM tuner section of one of these vintage receivers, and you probably will, you should take the unit to a good repair shop to have the FM tuner realigned. This simple repair typically costs under $50. Think of the FM stereo as a bonus.

Do some research, read up on the vintage equipment on the net, then hit the auction sites and used equipment sites with the knowledge that you are going to score an unbelievable bargain in headphone amplification. I'm not talking about a headphone amp for portable use, for that application there are some very good current models and plans available.

If, after auditioning your HD-600s through the vintage receiver of your choosing, you don't like the sound, all you have spent is something less than $100. But I predict that once you have heard your HD-600s when connected to a vintage Marantz or similar unit, you will have found what you are looking for in superior sound without having to spend much cash.

Jun 22, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #103 of 117
Nosferatu, in response to your question, no I have not heard any of the current crop of headphone amps. I have no doubt that almost any of them can and do sound fantastic with one or more model of headphones.

The point of my post was that good sound, really good sound, can be had for peanuts if one does a little homework and shops around. I don't claim that for $26.00 a 30 year old japanese receiver (yep thats what some of them can be bought for ) sounds better than a dedicated headphone amp that costs 10x or even 20x as much or more. But for playing audio through your computer sound card, gaming, or just maximizing your enjoyment of an average or even better than average CD player, there is no reason to spend hundreds of dollars on a dedicated headphone amplifier, unless of course you feel the need to do so.

What about yourself, have you heard what HD-600 headphones sound like connected to the headphone jack of a circa 1975 Marantz 2235B receiver or similar? I have, and I would say that the overall musicality and sound quality of this vintage receiver when listening to headphones or speakers is as good or better as any amplifier or receiver made today costing up to $1,500.

Taking into account inflation, just based on the quality of parts and construction alone, this model Marantz receiver (which sold new for $450 in 1975) would cost upwards of $1,500 to manufacture today and would retail for more than $2,500, if you could buy one new. The fact that this and similar model Marantz equipment can be purchased used in good to excellent condition for anywhere between $95 (what I paid) and maybe $200, other models for far less, is a very viable option for someone who is considering upgrading their headphone amplification but who does not want to spend the scratch or cannot afford one of the more expensive dedicated amps.

The most enjoyment and satisfaction I have had in this hobby, and continue to have after 30 years, of auditioning, purchasing, and enjoying quality audio equipment and recorded music has been finding the true bargains to be had if you really look around. I believe in parting with my hard earned money only after exploring multiple options for achieving audio nirvana.

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:06 AM Post #104 of 117
Go to the Show which has already left your area, you might have to drive a while, and listen to some headphone amps.

Really listen with open ears and mind.

Then come back and give us a more educated opinion.

Jun 22, 2002 at 2:18 PM Post #105 of 117
Quote:

Originally posted by mkmelt

The most enjoyment and satisfaction I have had in this hobby, and continue to have after 30 years, of auditioning, purchasing, and enjoying quality audio equipment and recorded music has been finding the true bargains to be had if you really look around. I believe in parting with my hard earned money only after exploring multiple options for achieving audio nirvana.

It's too bad that you weren't able to attend the Headroom Tour stop in Lanham. They'll be in Pittsburgh tomorrow, but it's about a four-hour drive from the Balt/DC area. Less if you're in Western MD, more if you're on the Eastern Shore.

If you truly believe in exploring multiple options, this is the ONLY place you will be able to get a good cross-section of what the current state of the art is in headphone amplification. When you say that a vintage Marantz may be the equivalent of $1500 in amplification today, you may even be right...but not even you know that until you've done your homework. Until you've listened to the current amplifiers in that price range, far better to say nothing about an area in which you have no personal experience.

There are true bargains at just about every price point...but if you haven't listened to them, you'll never identify them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back