Good headphone/amp combo in $500 range for folk and prog?
Mar 12, 2008 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Matcha

New Head-Fier
Well, not just folk and prog. I'd probably describe my listening patterns as such:

40% prog (Jethro Tull, Genesis, Kansas, King Crimson, Moody Blues some prog metal)
30% folk (primarily British/Celtic -- Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Seven Nations)
15% classical (primarily baroque)
15% other (Steely Dan, Pink Martini, more generic rock)

I really don't listen to techno, electronica, or anything of the sort.

Obviously, I'm not going to find something which is going to be top-notch at everything, thus the focus on prog and folk, but I'd like it to be competent at the others, too.

One other thing: I adore the flute, and a lot of my music tastes include it, as you may have noticed -- Tull, Genesis, Moody Blues, lots of folk. So, any cans I get need to be good with the tone and timbre of the flute, or they simply won't work for me.

So, suggestions?

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 6
ATH-ESW9 ($300) + Minibox E+ ($179)

Wonderful combo for the type of music you've listed.

What's your source? CDP? Computer? Do you need a dac? An LOD? If yes, is that in your budget or separate?

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 6
Computer is my source (usually), and I'm intending on moving to an external DAC, but that's going to be a separate budget. I also use my HD-DVD player as a CD player in my living room routed through my Onkyo AV receiver, which I intend to continue using as my DAC for the living room for now. (I'll likely be moving my computer into the living room when I pick up a Blu-ray player for it, so there's no sense in two separate upgrade paths.)

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 6
The above is a portable solution (which I never recommend, except when someone wants portable), but it really is wonderful sounding for the music you've listed, and probably the best sq for your budget.

If you don't mind open headphones, already have a separate dac going, another good option would be:

used HD600s ($200 ish) + Rockhopper CKKIII ($400). Over budget, I know, but it really would sound great with what you like.

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 6
I was thinking about an Eddie Current Lunchbox II ($225) and a Beyerdynamic DT880 (around $200). I think the DT880 is wonderful with the music you listed. A close second choice would be the Sennheiser HD-600 ($300 or so), but that would put you a little over budget and the DT880 is very, very good. You could swing the K-701, but those are fussy. I like mine, but I wouldn't use it as a primary headphone.

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Open is not an issue at all, and, in fact, probably preferred for the improved soundstage (or so I understand -- the only chance I really got to listen to open headphones was, unfortunately, in a rather noisy environment).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back