Good guitar music?
Nov 28, 2003 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some nice acoustic guitar music? Something that I can use to give my new ER-4Ps a true test with. Any recommendations? I cant think of anything worthwhile.

Thanks in advance,
mike

Nov 29, 2003 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 20
This is one of my favorite genres.

For classical, check out anything by Andreas Segovia. Particularly his Bach performances.

For avant-garde/experimental, Jim O'Rourke's "Bad Timing" is fantastic. He is an incredibly talented composer and player.
To add voice in,
Kelly Joe Phelps's "Lead Me On" is virtuoso slide guitar and a fantastic blues voice.

Chris Whitley's "Dirt Floor" is another killer performance of bluesy, folky rock recorded very well in a ski shop in Vermont. It leads to a very intimate recording with very little signs of extensive studio processing...with ety's you will feel like you are there...

Nov 29, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 20
I lot of it depends if you want pieces originally written for something else, but done on guitar, or compositions specifically created for it. The "man who invented the modern concept of the guitarist/composer" is John Fahey (gave Leo Kottke and others their start). Fahey is pretty incredible and who I use often to test equipment.

Check out:
The Legend of Blind Joe Death
The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death
The New Possibility: John Fahey's Guitar Solo Christmas Album
or my faves:
Let Go
God, Time and Causality

Expect to keep his stuff around for a long time. It's almost impossible to completely digest.

Nov 29, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 20
I like these:

Sharon Isbin, "Journey to the Amazon"
Sharon Isbin, "Dreams of a world"
John Williams, "The Seville Concert"
John Williams," Jungles of the Paraguay"
Amadeus guitar duo, "Spanish Night", Hanssler
Dale Kavanagh, "Lyrical and Virtuostic Guitar Music"
Dale Kanavagh, "Toccata in Blue"

Happy listening,
W

Nov 29, 2003 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 20
Paco de Lucia
Al Dimeola
Omar Liebert
Craig Chaquico
Paco de Lucia, Al Dimeola and John Mc Laughlin (specially Friday Night in San Fco)

Nov 29, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 20
I like Villa-Lobos: Complete Works for Solo Guitar on the Naxos label. Similar to Segovian Spanish-influenced classical.

--Chris

Nov 30, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 20
Paco de Lucia, Al Dimeola, all flamenco in general is very fast and complex...

Nov 30, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 20
Anything by Terry Talbott and Barry McGuire will test the speed of any system to the max of its capability. They are folk/Christian artists, but a lot of their music is a redo of things like The Beatles song "Help", Sting's "The Fields of Barley, Eve of Destruction, and many others are very well done by two great guitar players/singers.

Their album "When Dinoasurs Walked the Earth" is my favorite, and the track Jurassic Pick will blow you away with Terry's fast picking and strumming. Ancient Garden is another studio album that captures their guitar playing exquisitely well, and includes some tracks that will also give most systems a nigthmare trying to reproduce.

Nov 30, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
There are many different styles but not all of them are fast.
Total registered: 77 Styles and 119 styles

http://www.andalucia.org/flamenco/pa...php?idioma=eng

Sorry, I mean what we know here in America as flamenco.....I came form an spanish family, and I know what you mean with that link, in fact is true that there are a lot of styles in flamenco in general, but most of them, are just folk music, played in rural places, small towns, and most of the times never recorded a single piece in any media, this is a gypsy style, there are no schools for that (at least not recently, when I was there in Spain, maybe is the last years there are some) and is mainly learned by hearing from one generation to another, the best artist known in America, and one of the best players I have heard so far, is Paco de Lucia, and all what I have heard from him, is very fast paced, of course he pays also other things, not only flamenco...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back