good guitar amps?
Mar 25, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I found that out the hard way... I bought a TriAxis + 2:90 setup thinking I'd have some use for that amount of power, but ended up almost blowing out my windows trying to achieve power amp saturation! I s'pose I should probably sell them.

He used Dimarzio's Steve's Special and Air Norton pickups in most of his Ibanez signature series, but had Dimarzio custom design pickups for the Ernie Ball Music Man JP. They do sound remarkably similar, though.
wink.gif

Ah, I see. I miss those old Ibby JPM guitars with the wacky paintjobs
biggrin.gif

I'll take that mesa off your hands, by the way
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a little OT, but speaking of "Silverface" my favorite guitar amp was my older brothers "Silvertone" guitar amp he used in the forties. It was bought in the thirties and didn't have even ONE transistor!

Those are very easy to overdrive with a humbucker. Let me tell you the distortion and tone is just amazing. A few years ago (mid 90's) you could pick them up for $50 or less, man did I mess up when I passed on them.
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #33 of 36
I went for the VOX AD30VT modeling amp. The thing that makes it worth it for me is that it has all the features of the big brothers, especially the power soak which means i can jam at low levels, which is something the AD15 doesn't have. Doesn't hurt to have the full compliment of FX too!

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure about the 8" speaker sounding like trash. If you get a vintage amp it will sound very nicely. For example my black face Fender Champ (65 or so) has the original Alnico 8" speaker and it has a great tone.

agreed SOME amps with 8" speakers do sound nice, but when i was referring to these amps I am talking about a lot of the very low end beginner marketed amps out there these days, which the OP might be looking at since he wanted cheap. Of course physical constraints will dictate the 8" will not have the same bottom end as a 12". My 2x12 does not have the same crunch and dynamics as a half stack (4x12).

Mar 25, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #36 of 36
For you, i'd recommend the AD30VT, everyone should start out with one

Anyway, sorry to sidetrack but help me out a little here.. I'm kind of tired of the models in AD30VT and now looking for a better amp
Preferably valve, lead/clean and spring reverb is all i need

Any ideas for something good at ~$500?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back