good guitar amps?
Mar 23, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #16 of 36
I have a bass pod, which should be very similar to the regular pod models. My issues with it are that the drive/overdrive are a bit harsh and digital sounding, not liquid tube smooth. Some of the models also require tons of output to kick the drive/overdrive in, and on the bass, while it's easy for me to kick it in on the low strings, it's hard to kick it in on the higher strings at reasonable volumes. I don't know if this problem translates to the guitar version. Maybe not with the low gauge strings and picking. Lastly, all of the synths sound horrible when you hit even a hint of more than one note at a time. On the upshot, the compressors and the handful of models/effects that are effective are worth the price of admission.

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #17 of 36
I have one of Peavy's new (ish) ValveKing amps. All tube, 2x12, under $500. The 1x12 combo is even cheaper. Sounds amazing and you can't beat the sound that you get from a tube amp.

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 36
thanx for all the replies!

i have tried plugging guitar amps into hifi systems through the headohone socket and it worked. i dont know if this would be damaging to the speakers but i dont think so since it was meant for headphones which the sound that comes out of an ipod is ALSO meand for.

the only thing that concerns me if i do that is that the guitar amp wont ruin the sound for the other components.

i also plugged a an electric guitar DIRECTLY into my little dot.... and it worked!!!!!!!!!! lol

my little dot is a bit broken tho and has always been from about an hour after i got it onwards

Mar 24, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #20 of 36
for clean tones and a wonderful warm tube sound my personal favorite are Fender amps, especially their blues series. Their clean tone is liquid smooth. If you can afford it, find the lowest wattage tube amp you can get your hands on. I made the mistake of getting a 50watt and it never ventures past the 3 on the volume dial.

If you are looking for something really cheap then get yourself a solid state amp, but get at least a 1x12 so it has some gutso on the bottom end and can move some air. In case you're not familiar with the terminology the first number is the number of drivers, and second number is diameter of driver. If you get a 1x8 it would probably sound like trash. Just head to music shops and plug in to all the amps in your price range. When you hear your amp, you'll know!

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0213205000

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #21 of 36
also, i think the guitar im thinking of getting is an ibanez gax30 which seems pretty cheap and nice to play

im not sure if this would change anything

i think im also gonna see how my k501s sound out of a guitar amp

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #22 of 36
another vote for the Vox AD15. If not for my slow fall from guitar grace, I'd still be happily strumming away. But, as dim memory serves me, the AD15 (which sits all of two feet from me as I speak) sounded quite excellent when cranked. It even sounded good when cranked on headphones - and with my MS-1s plugged in, I swear I've never sounded better
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #23 of 36
Here's my opinion:

Fender for spanky, deep clean. Ex. Hot Rod Deluxe, Bassman (my personal favorite clean ever).

Vox for sparkly, chimey clean. Ex. AC-15, AC-30, etc.

Bogner for moderate tube gain saturation. Ex. Metropolis, Ecstasy.

Soldano for huge but very clean saturation. Ex. SLO-100.

Mesa Boogie for heavier metal-ish saturation. Ex. Rectifier, Mark series.

I agree 100% with what many of you have said about wattage. There's no point in buying a high-wattage amp. You won't need or want the volume when you practice (unless you want to go deaf in the fundamental frequency range), and if you need volume at a gig, chances are you'll prefer going through the P. A. No one in the front row likes being blasted by your guitar cabinet just because they chose a bad location.

Rock on.
evil_smiley.gif

Bogner is more of a boutique brand than the others, so they've set up a page where you can listen to their amps being played into a simple recording setup. Here's the link. Check out the 30-watt Bogner Metropolis samples by Greg V. Mmm, tasty.

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3ta1head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Line6 makes some fantastic cheap amps, but recently, I've been drooling over the mesa dual rectos and road kings
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DmIwc70yn...elated&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QQbC8h3JRgk

/need monies

Petrucci's choice of pickups definitely mitigates a lot of the less-than-desirable buzzsaw tones that Rectos can have with other guitars... I've played through some Single, Dual, and Triple Rectos, admittedly not anywhere near stage volume, and they just didn't feel right to me. But, as always, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Petrucci's choice of pickups definitely mitigates a lot of the less-than-desirable buzzsaw tones that Rectos can have with other guitars... I've played through some Single, Dual, and Triple Rectos, admittedly not anywhere near stage volume, and they just didn't feel right to me. But, as always, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

You really, really need to turn those amps UP for them to shine. The rectos are really meant to be played at high master levels.

As for Petrucci's pickups, he uses Dimarzios, doesn't he? I've got a Evo and Air Norton set in my RG.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for clean tones and a wonderful warm tube sound my personal favorite are Fender amps, especially their blues series. Their clean tone is liquid smooth. If you can afford it, find the lowest wattage tube amp you can get your hands on. I made the mistake of getting a 50watt and it never ventures past the 3 on the volume dial.

If you are looking for something really cheap then get yourself a solid state amp, but get at least a 1x12 so it has some gutso on the bottom end and can move some air. In case you're not familiar with the terminology the first number is the number of drivers, and second number is diameter of driver. If you get a 1x8 it would probably sound like trash. Just head to music shops and plug in to all the amps in your price range. When you hear your amp, you'll know!

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0213205000

I am not sure about the 8" speaker sounding like trash. If you get a vintage amp it will sound very nicely. For example my black face Fender Champ (65 or so) has the original Alnico 8" speaker and it has a great tone.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure about the 8" speaker sounding like trash. If you get a vintage amp it will sound very nicely. For example my black face Fender Champ (65 or so) has the original Alnico 8" speaker and it has a great tone.

Agreed. I had a killer-sounding Silverface Champ that I traded when I acquired my Guild X-500. I really regret letting go of that amp.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #29 of 36
This is a little OT, but speaking of "Silverface" my favorite guitar amp was my older brothers "Silvertone" guitar amp he used in the forties. It was bought in the thirties and didn't have even ONE transistor!

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3ta1head
You really, really need to turn those amps UP for them to shine. The rectos are really meant to be played at high master levels.

Yep, I found that out the hard way... I bought a TriAxis + 2:90 setup thinking I'd have some use for that amount of power, but ended up almost blowing out my windows trying to achieve power amp saturation! I s'pose I should probably sell them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3ta1head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for Petrucci's pickups, he uses Dimarzios, doesn't he? I've got a Evo and Air Norton set in my RG.

He used Dimarzio's Steve's Special and Air Norton pickups in most of his Ibanez signature series, but had Dimarzio custom design pickups for the Ernie Ball Music Man JP. They do sound remarkably similar, though.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back