Good Gaming headset?
Apr 18, 2007 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ScYcS

New Head-Fier
I was looking for a Headset for gaming and some music listening on my computer. Due to mistakes in the past (bought a $80 5.1 Headset that sounds aweful) and due to me being a total newbie in audio, i decided to inform myself.

For everyone that wants to flame me and to tell me to use the search function, stop reading here and simply post your answer....

For everybody else, read on.

Evidently i found head-fi and started reading. And reading and then after that some more reading.

I'm not confused anymore. I don't need to ask you guys anything. Thanks for simply having this forum and helping others....
biggrin.gif

Here's what i came up with and it'll be here tomorrow:

1) creative labs X-Fi Music card

2) a cheap headset with boom mic and removable boom.

3) audio extension cable for mic, velcro, engineering ingenuity

4) ATH-A700

I'll be building my own custom headset with boom mic.

I guess the point of my post is to tell you guys that you are really helpful and i appreciate your knowledge. Thanks.

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScYcS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking for a Headset for gaming and some music listening on my computer. Due to mistakes in the past (bought a $80 5.1 Headset that sounds aweful) and due to me being a total newbie in audio, i decided to inform myself.

For everyone that wants to flame me and to tell me to use the search function, stop reading here and simply post your answer....

Evidently i found head-fi and started reading. And reading and then after that some more reading.

I'm not confused anymore. I don't need to ask you guys anything. Thanks for simply having this forum and helping others....
biggrin.gif

4) ATH-A700

I guess the point of my post is to tell you guys that you are really helpful and i appreciate your knowledge. Thanks.

im new with you and i just picked up some skullcandy skullcrushers and i think they would sound great for gaming for around 40-45 dollars

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 15
Listen to the first Head-Fi Podcast.
wink.gif
(I'm trying to promote it, because it's our first one.)

In it, I mention the Sennheiser PC166 USB (which I actually used to record most of the Podcast).

For music, it would satisfy most non-diehard Head-Fi'ers, as it has a smile-shaped sounding frequency response, which a lot of people (but not your typical diehard audiophile Head-Fi'er) likes. When I was working on the Podcast, or using it for Skype, I'd use it to listen to music from my laptop, and it performed nicely in that regard, given its primary purpose (a communications headset).

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

biggrin.gif

4) ATH-A700

congrats! that's definitely a nice pickup as far as a gaming "headset" goes
smily_headphones1.gif

i have the a900 currently myself and i use it to play games, must say i love it. many regard the audio-technica A series headphones to be up there among the best choices for gaming, so you made a wise purchase. Had you asked, I probably would have told you to buy a zalman MIC1 clip on microphone to attach to the cord of your A700s, but there's nothing wrong with a little DIY action! either way works, really... so great choice, and i hope you enjoy them! they will probably blow what you have used in the past out of the water
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkullCandy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im new with you and i just picked up some skullcandy skullcrushers and i think they would sound great for gaming for around 40-45 dollars

ban

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 15
I own the Medusa 5.1 phones and whilst they can be fun once you acclimatize to the "surround" sound I find myself using my Senn PX100s instead. They cost me very little (here in the UK) and have plenty of bass for the more visceral games!

I've also tried my super.fi 5s and triple.fi 10s and switched back to the Senn's immediately. It isn't as good a headphone as the UEs, but it sounds just right for games to me.

One thing to note: They are extremely comfortable to wear and can be left on for hours, but they do leak noise so anyone in the room with you might be slightly annoyed

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 15
I use a cost effective setup. I don't use headphones marketed as gaming headphones. I use some high qaulity headphones and a cheap mic. That way, I can use my headphones for music as well.

I have the Sony MDR-SA1000 and bought a cheap headset attached with a mic for $10. I just put the cheap headphones around my neck and bring the mic up to my mouth. These headphones are fantastic. Really nice range of sound, especially the highs (for bullet sounds, footsteps, etc.). The bass is also good. It's get bad reviews for weak bass, but I think the bass is deep enough.

These headphones are open. My computer is loud, and I can hear the hum if the headphones are on low volume.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

I'm starting to think that only Shoebox actually read my post
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, you know what you should get? You should get the Senn HD 555. These are the best...

haha. just playing. Good pickup.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 15
I use my Grado SR80 with Dolby Headphone from my Theatron...and it sounds airy. A lot of people recommends closed headphones but they are not for my. I like airy and space sound
600smile.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 15
I love DT770's for gaming. Although talking on the mic drives my landlord nuts because its a seperate mic attached to my keyboard and the isolation with the DT770's causes me to talk louder than I think Im talking..

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 15
To the OP:

Well, now that "tomorrow" has come and gone, has all of your stuff arrived and have you had enough time to set it all up and try it out? If so, how was it? Let's hear some impressions!
tongue.gif

Also, if you've had enough time to listen and do all that fun stuff, have you gotten around to putting the mic on your cans? If so, take some pictures and post them up! Show us head-fiers how your creation turned out... i'm definitely looking forward to hearing what you think.

Once again, congrats on the purchase
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 15
Well, my stuff arrived and I had only brief chance to plug it in and to test it. I did velcro the mic to the cans, but it's not as stable as i'd like but i'm working on it. The ath-a700 sounds awesome though.

I'll post pics once i have the boom mic a little more secure. It kinda works but i underestimated the cable lenght i needed for the mic and "only" have 6ft, which is just a tad too short....need more lenght.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back