Good gaming headphones? Great sound positioning a must!
Jun 17, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #16 of 63
Any headphone will do when gaming, It doesnt matter what headphone you use. expensive headphones dont mean sh** with EAX/A3D since they make any bad headphone with no positioning at all act like it has many.

Consider that Positioning in games != positioning in music.
good soundstaging in ordinary music wont make you a better footstep/gunshot listener in CS, since most music is not recorded binaurally (in relation to your head/ears) like what A3D/EAX does on ambient noise when presented with a stereo source (e.g. headphones).
For practice, Try and listen to as much binaural recordings as you can.

I'd go with: Comfort, comfort for prolonged wear and isolation (nothing like extended games in a noisy computer shop, where taunting enemies is a profession.).

With 300 bucks i'd go with the HMD-280 (HD280 pro with a headset mic) or HMD-25 (HD25-1 with a headset mic)..
Both are closed and pretty much comfy, one is circumaural and one is supraaural to choose for where you're most comfortable..

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by zaack
Any headphone will do when gaming, It doesnt matter what headphone you use. expensive headphones dont mean sh** with EAX/A3D since they make any bad headphone with no positioning at all act like it has many.

I completely disagree. Although I do believe that the difference between something like Plantronics Audio 90 headset and a much higher quality headphone/headset will not produce any dramatic difference, there are subtleties that allow for easier location or distinctions of sounds. Although I am looking for new headphones for mainly gaming purposes, I am also looking for a decent music headphone, and I think in the sub 300 range I think the A900's fit the bill quite right. Although I can spend the 300, I would much rather spend 200.

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by xSnowmaNx
Well I started off a looooong time ago with a little game I like to call Rainbow Six.

Dude, you just made me feel like a grandpa... R6 wasn't a looooong time ago: Wolf3D (the original) was my first shooter, and I was a teenager then! I was married when R6 came out.

Oh, and yes: Rogue Spear was the most fun I've ever had playing a game. Well that and BF1942 (since you can crash ANYTHING - even aircraft carriers!).

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #19 of 63
Sennheiser HD595 and an inexpensive amp. Easily doable for under $300. I use them and love them. Been a hardcore online gamer since the early days of Quake. Excellent positioning, and they sound great for music, too!

They're open, though. This might be an issue if you have an EXTREMELY loud PC or frequent LAN parties and want some auditory privacy. I have a moderately noisy PC and don't have any issues if I'm playing a game or there's music playing (that is, 95% of the time I'm at my PC).

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #20 of 63
For computer use, you seriously can't go wrong with A900. You can use it for pretty much any applications, gaming, watching DVDs, music, etc..

If you don't mind getting used one, I think you can find a few at "for sale" forum recently. Most of headfiers here take a good care of their headphones, so you have pretty good chance to find a new looking one.

As a matter of fact, I think mine still look exactly like when I just took it out from the box the 1st time, no scratches whatsoever. But unfortunately I'm not selling them.
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #21 of 63
AKG has some of the best imaging out there in my opinion. Sennheisers and Grado's both have problems in that department and from my limited audition of the A900 it did not impress in that regard. The K240S would be a nice cost effective soloution that I think you would be quite happy with and if you need isolation you could get the K271S. I'm sure that the K501 and K340 would be even better as far as imaging is concerned, but you would need to invest in a potent headphone amplifier.

Jun 17, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #22 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
AKG has some of the best imaging out there in my opinion. Sennheisers and Grado's both have problems in that department and from my limited audition of the A900 it did not impress in that regard. The K240S would be a nice cost effective soloution that I think you would be quite happy with and if you need isolation you could get the K271S. I'm sure that the K501 and K340 would be even better as far as imaging is concerned, but you would need to invest in a potent headphone amplifier.

I agree, with the exception being that the HD595 does an awesome job of imaging in games. Really, it's great. The K271S is also very good, and an excellent choice if you need the isolation.

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #23 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
I agree, with the exception being that the HD595 does an awesome job of imaging in games. Really, it's great.

Never had the pleasure myself... I just know that the HD580/HD600/HD650 all have that weird Sennheiser soundstaging issue. It is good to know that they corrected that with the angled drivers in the new generation headphones.
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny77
[size=large]CS=best game ever made.[/size] Been playing for 5 years.

Not to go OT but Far Cry owns CS and AOC owns them all.

My vote is for the Beyerdynamic DT770/80's.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=359165&is=REG

I already made some comments in this thread regarding their excellent ability to place footsteps well plus their outstanding bass provides for the depth some guns need like shotguns and explosions sound perfect. I'm just running them direct from my M-Audio soundcard and they're awesome. I have the CD3000's myself and direct from the soundcard they can't begin to compare with the DT770's. Nowhere near enough bass, shallow sound, and much less impact for FPS games.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123648

Jun 17, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #25 of 63
I've heard good wallhacking-like experiences with ER4s+gaming. A member also commented that the $20 Panasonic RP-HJE50 had great positioning (I'm assuming paired with good gaming sound hardware).

Jun 17, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #26 of 63
The a500's have great positioning, expecianlly with an audigy 2. **** is sick with 2/2.1 speaker setiings,

I think you will be most happy with the audio-technica series.

Jun 17, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
My vote is for the Beyerdynamic DT770/80's.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=359165&is=REG

I already made some comments in this thread regarding their excellent ability to place footsteps well plus their outstanding bass provides for the depth some guns need like shotguns and explosions sound perfect. I'm just running them direct from my M-Audio soundcard and they're awesome. I have the CD3000's myself and direct from the soundcard they can't begin to compare with the DT770's. Nowhere near enough bass, shallow sound, and much less impact for FPS games.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123648

Agreed. The bass-heavy DT770-80s are a perfect match for ultra-violent shooters. As far as audio positioning is concerned, I have no problem telling which direction a sound is coming from.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to GTA-SA
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #28 of 63
I heartily second the Etys for gaming. The noise blocking makes it a lot easier to hear people creeping up on you. On q3ctf1, in the bases, you can hear people walking in half a second before anybody else would.

The actual audio image localization leaves something to be desired, but IMHO stereo spatialization is b0rked anyway on headphones for most games. Your brain will adjust.

A900s are really good too, but they're more of an all arounder than for really competitive gaming. I'd use my Etys for anything that's really important.

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #29 of 63
DT770s have great soundstage, nice isolation, good closed cans, biiiig bass, and right price (around $150.) go for it!

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #30 of 63
If you want a good mic you may try a Shure EasyFlex or something similar. Those cheap $4 mics you get at Walmart or free with a soundcard are just that... cheap.

Also, the A900's may be over-kill for gaming. I seem to remember someone doing a review of the A500 vs A900 way back when. A search may turn up something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back