Good gaming headphones? Great sound positioning a must!
Jun 18, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFRfan
Dude, you just made me feel like a grandpa... R6 wasn't a looooong time ago: Wolf3D (the original) was my first shooter, and I was a teenager then! I was married when R6 came out.

Oh, and yes: Rogue Spear was the most fun I've ever had playing a game. Well that and BF1942 (since you can crash ANYTHING - even aircraft carriers!).

Bleh, any game that had people made out of blocks is a looong time ago for me.
icon10.gif
But I completely agree, Rogue Spear was perhaps the best online shooter I have ever played.

Now for these headphones... I was so dead set on A900's, but now there are even more suggestions and now I have no idea what I should get! I'll be checking these new suggestions a little for prices other opinions.

Jun 18, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #33 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Not to go OT but Far Cry owns CS and AOC owns them all.

My vote is for the Beyerdynamic DT770/80's.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=359165&is=REG

I already made some comments in this thread regarding their excellent ability to place footsteps well plus their outstanding bass provides for the depth some guns need like shotguns and explosions sound perfect. I'm just running them direct from my M-Audio soundcard and they're awesome. I have the CD3000's myself and direct from the soundcard they can't begin to compare with the DT770's. Nowhere near enough bass, shallow sound, and much less impact for FPS games.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123648

Is there a way to get the material of the cushioning or whatever of the Beyerdynamics on the A900's? I have had several headphones that look to have the same materials as the A900's, and while they are comfortable enough, it is near impossible to wear in warm weather because it will feel like I haven't taken a shower in days right where the headphones go.

Or am I greatly deceived? If I am correct, the material on the Beyerdynamics are velvet or some sort of cloth on the cushioning?

Jun 18, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #34 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius
I heartily second the Etys for gaming. The noise blocking makes it a lot easier to hear people creeping up on you. On q3ctf1, in the bases, you can hear people walking in half a second before anybody else would.

The actual audio image localization leaves something to be desired, but IMHO stereo spatialization is b0rked anyway on headphones for most games. Your brain will adjust.

A900s are really good too, but they're more of an all arounder than for really competitive gaming. I'd use my Etys for anything that's really important.

this post is correct. for cpma q3 I prefer my etys to a900s, which are very good. shures are also excellent in this regard. the hd595s are mediocre at best, with most headphones terrible.

jesse

Jun 18, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #35 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
this post is correct. for cpma q3 I prefer my etys to a900s, which are very good. shures are also excellent in this regard. the hd595s are mediocre at best, with most headphones terrible.

jesse

Are you guys referring to the Beyerdynamics as Etys? Not quite sure what you are talking about.

Jun 18, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by xSnowmaNx
Are you guys referring to the Beyerdynamics as Etys? Not quite sure what you are talking about.

Here's some help:

CPMA Q3 - Challenge ProMode Arena, a "mod" for the game Quake 3

Etys - Etymotic Research, a company that is famous for their in-the-ear headphones. Models like the ER-6i, ER-4P, ER-4S, etc.

Shures - Shure is another company whose in-ear earphones are popular among the audiophile community and on this message board. Their well-known products are the E2c, E3 or E3c, E4 or E4c, and the E5c. [size=xx-small](For the E3 and E4 models, the versions with "c" in the name are the white-colored "iPod-friendly" styled ones, only different in color.)[/size]

Jun 18, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by bracket_cable
Here's some help:

CPMA Q3 - Challenge ProMode Arena, a "mod" for the game Quake 3

Etys - Etymotic Research, a company that is famous for their in-the-ear headphones. Models like the ER-6i, ER-4P, ER-4S, etc.

Shures - Shure is another company whose in-ear earphones are popular among the audiophile community and on this message board. Their well-known products are the E2c, E3 or E3c, E4 or E4c, and the E5c. [size=xx-small](For the E3 and E4 models, the versions with "c" in the name are the white-colored "iPod-friendly" styled ones, only different in color.)[/size]

Thanks a lot for that, cleared up confusion.

Jun 18, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #38 of 63
I am almost sure I will buy Audio Technica A900's at this point in time. I would have bought them already but the problem is finding a place to buy them! There are a few problems:

Firstly, is just the lack of retailers. I have only found 2 retailers of which sell the A900's, one for $199.00 and another for $249.99. Are there no other places to buy? www.audiocubes.com and www.musiciansfriend.com are the two sites.

Secondly, I checked the Audio-Technica website and they don't list the A900's anywhere! Does the A900 go under a different model number? I have checked for ATH-A900 and it is not listed on their website.

Thirdly, this kind of goes hand in hand with the first point, I want to buy these headphones while I am here in Korea. Are there any good online retailers or sound stores people know of in Korea?

Jun 18, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #39 of 63
Just as a note: I've been using my new Shure E4Cs with a Pocket Amp 2 V2 out of my Bose MediaMate speakers being fed by an Audigy 2 ZX card with the Battlefield 2 Demo. REALLY NICE!! Positioning is excellent and the impact is dead on.

Audigy 2 ZX-->Bose MediaMate-->PA2V2-->E4C

Jun 18, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny77
[size=large]CS=best game ever made.[/size] Been playing for 5 years.

Any Quake > CS
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #41 of 63
I bought the Ultrasones HFI700's because I heard from bangraman that they had better positioning than the competition(dt770 and a900).
I agree that they do have good positioning but I haven't compared them to other high end phones.
My Panasonic HJE50s also have awesome positioning, really, it's crazy how good they are.

Jun 18, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #42 of 63
One of my Avid gamer frends allways uses my MDR-f1 saying there best for comfort and soundstage with pinpoint placement of the action.

Jun 18, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by xSnowmaNx
I am almost sure I will buy Audio Technica A900's at this point in time. I would have bought them already but the problem is finding a place to buy them! There are a few problems:

Firstly, is just the lack of retailers. I have only found 2 retailers of which sell the A900's, one for $199.00 and another for $249.99. Are there no other places to buy? www.audiocubes.com and www.musiciansfriend.com are the two sites.

Secondly, I checked the Audio-Technica website and they don't list the A900's anywhere! Does the A900 go under a different model number? I have checked for ATH-A900 and it is not listed on their website.

bluetin.com has them for $173, but i have no exp with them.

a5/7/9 are only intended to be avail in Japan. acubes is the most reputable importer around these parts. it comes with at least a 1 year warranty card.

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
bluetin.com has them for $173, but i have no exp with them.

a5/7/9 are only intended to be avail in Japan. acubes is the most reputable importer around these parts. it comes with at least a 1 year warranty card.

i've spent au$750 there in the last 18months. very nice people & great service although the ordering process is a little unorthodox. you can use paypal/credit cards too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back