Good gaming headphones? Great sound positioning a must!
Jun 17, 2005 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

xSnowmaNx

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for good headphones for gaming. I am an extremely avid PC gamer and first person shooters are the name of the game. I had been reading around here and so far it seems like the Audio Technica A900's are pretty good.

I am looking for headphones that allow for EXTREMELY GOOD location/positioning of sounds (footsteps, gunshots, etc), and good sound quality is a plus. Having a microphone is also a good addition, but from what I have read all the good headphones are just headphones and that would mean I would have to get a separate table mic.

The main reason I am looking for some good headphones is because... I need good headphones. I fell for a gimmick (Zalmans anyone?) and at first I thought they were great but the more I used them the more and more I realized that it is nothing more than headphones with 3 speakers that all sound like they are coming from the same place. I was looking at the Speedlink Medusa 5.1 surround sound headphones for a while but I came here and saw everyone talking about as great as it would be to have surround sound headphones, its just not possible and in the end they don't sound very good and have overall poor positioning of the sounds.

So here I am, looking for a pair of quality headphones. Preferably something sub $300. The Audio Technica A900's are looking nice, but I would like to see if there are any other products I should look into. Remember: Good sound positioning is number 1. Good sound quality is a plus (I do like to listen to music). Having a microphone is a plus but definitely not required. Thanks a lot.

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 63
I think pretty much any large cans you buy with that price will have a good soundstage. I recommend you don't buy grados, since their soundstage is a bit "tight". A900's should be great.

Ps. What fps do you play?

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 63
Well I started off a looooong time ago with a little game I like to call Rainbow Six. That moved on to Rogue Spear. More recently I had been playing lots of Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield but I came to my senses and realized how CRAPPY the game was and how many cheaters there were and stopped playing competitively, well, completely actually about 2 or 3 months ago. Raven Shield was my biggie, I played for hours on end. Played a little CS 1.6 before Raven Shield and during, but I couldn't get over the fact that it was SO UGLY. Played a little bit of BFV, was pretty good at that too, but kind of just died out for me. Now I play a lot of CS:S and hopefully will play some BF2 once I get to my gaming machine (in Korea to visit relatives and such...).

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 63
I would recomend trying to find a used Sony CD3000. IMO the soundstage and positioning on these cans are excellent for gaming.

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 63
Hey there, my ultimate PC gaming setup i have is a Sony CD-3000, using the latest Larocco Audio Pocket reference and an EMU 1212m soundcard.

This so far is the best setup for PC gaming I have ever heard. The sound positioning is the best i have heard in any headphone so far (from what i understand through reading on this site is that it is better in positioning than either of the audio technicas) The highs and especially the bass are astounding.
( I am currently upgrading to a Larocco Headcode with built in DAC and stepped attenuators, I am sure it will sound even better! )
I suggest stepped attenuators though, because I like to listen at a low volume with PR. The PR though great sounding can have some volume mismatch in the left and right when the pot is really low in volume. Then again I tend to listen at really low volumes.

This setup for me is the best for music and gaming. It sounds awesome all the way up in the highs and all the way down to the lows, (especially even with the bass boost maxed up!)

Just set the game up to stereo and max quality sound and its really awesome, though overall a bit pricey. But well worth it!

Hope that helps, -Chris-

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 63
I have not heard the A900s but I have heard the A500s and like the poster above I think the CD3000s is much better at positioning.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #9 of 63
Ok, so far:

Audio Technica A500
Audio Technica A900 (Good positioning)
Sony CD-3000 (Better positioning than A900?)

Any prices on the CD-3000 and A500? I am already in the process of looking for the prices but it would be nice if I could have them all here.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by xSnowmaNx
Ok, so far:

Audio Technica A500
Audio Technica A900 (Good positioning)
Sony CD-3000 (Better positioning than A900?)

Any prices on the CD-3000 and A500? I am already in the process of looking for the prices but it would be nice if I could have them all here.

The CD3000 is the most expensive out of the ones you listed. Which is why you should try and find a used pair. They are about $400 brand new.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
The CD3000 is the most expensive out of the ones you listed. Which is why you should try and find a used pair. They are about $400 brand new.

Yeah I just looked around and I'm seeing some go from 400 to even 700 dollars. Wow. I'll try looking for some used, but I'm not too keen on buying used stuff.

Would the differences between the CD-3000 and the A900 be something I would be able to notice to great effect?

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by xSnowmaNx
Yeah I just looked around and I'm seeing some go from 400 to even 700 dollars. Wow. I'll try looking for some used, but I'm not too keen on buying used stuff.

Would the differences between the CD-3000 and the A900 be something I would be able to notice to great effect?

$700 wow someone got ripped off. Don't worry about buying stuff used. Especially if you buy from people here on head-fi. Everything in my sig was purchased used hear on head-fi except for the amp.

Yes If you are a competitive gamer and go to a lot of lan parties then I would say it is worth the difference.

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #14 of 63
senn 497

Jun 17, 2005 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 63
Ok, I think I have decided on buying some Audio Technica A900's. Now some place to buy them. So far the only place I've seen is www.audiocubes.com. Are there any other places than that? Also, do you guys have any recommendations on a good tabletop microphone? I have one of those Plantronics Audio 10 microphones (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...23012?v=glance) and it is absolutely HORRIBLE! It picks up SO much background noise. Are there any alternatives that can block out the background and focus more on your voice? If I were to position a tabletop microphone it would be on the side opposite that of my computer (Microphone on left side of monitor, PC on right side) on my table approximately 2 or 3 feet from my face.

I can't imagine there isn't a microphone better than this. Or am I just using my microphone wrong? Or perhaps expecting too much out of these "tabletop" microphones?

I COULD still use my old headset, but I don't really want to have another set of headphones resting on my neck... If I am to use the A900's while I play my games then I can't talk to any of my teammates unless I have a separate microphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back