good flash-based (or durable HD) player with mp3 encoding?
Jan 29, 2005 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pianoplayer88key

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to replace a Pogo RipFlash+ (256MB) mp3 player/recorder. I would like:
at least 512MB or 1GB storage
direct mp3 encoding (preferably at least as flexible and good as as the LAME 3.9x codec) via line-in (also I'd use a built-in mic IF it's decent quality)
also direct ogg vorbis encoding would be nice, but I have yet to see anything that includes that.
under $200-250
plays mp3, ogg, (maybe) WMA (but not at the expense of being unable to upload stuff through the USB port due to protected WMA), other formats?

I've thought about getting a hard drive player/recorder in the past (cause I could really use that 40 to 100 + GB of capacity), but after demolishing a microdrive, I'm wary of something like that. Does anyone know of something with a capacity of > 4GB in my price range that can stand a lot of hard shocks? (otherwise I'd probably have to stick with a 1GB flash based unit.)

Does anyone know of anything out there that's good? I'm thinking about looking into one of the iRiver flash players, like the IFP-799 or something like that. However I don't know how many options you can set on the mp3 encoding. On the RipFlash+ there are a lot of various bitrates you can use for recording, but I want something better than that.

Jan 29, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omari149
The Ipod Shuffle

did you read what he wants at all? the shuffle should probably be last on his list. unless that is a joke, this is what bothers me about apple. ignorance reigns in apple consumers.

the iriver does sound close to what you want. i dont think you have many options in the encoding though, i think it only records at one bitrate. However, things i have recorded sounded surprisingly good.

Jan 29, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 16
Of course it was a joke
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
did you read what he wants at all? the shuffle should probably be last on his list. unless that is a joke, this is what bothers me about apple. ignorance reigns in apple consumers.

the iriver does sound close to what you want. i dont think you have many options in the encoding though, i think it only records at one bitrate. However, things i have recorded sounded surprisingly good.

The one I have now (RF+) encodes at anywhere from 8 to 256 kbps, depending on the settings. However, I'd like to also be able to record 320kbps, manually select sampling frequencies below 32kHz, and manually set/disable the lowpass filter, among other things.

Jan 29, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianoplayer88key
The one I have now (RF+) encodes at anywhere from 8 to 256 kbps, depending on the settings. However, I'd like to also be able to record 320kbps, manually select sampling frequencies below 32kHz, and manually set/disable the lowpass filter, among other things.

Recording at 320KBPS shouldn't be a problem, but those last two are pretty much impossible. Passing switches like that is delegated to software only, I'm afraid. I could be wrong, but I've yet to see a hardware implentation that offers such control over recording. Best you could do is record it at a high sample rate losslessly and do filtering after with a computer.

Jan 29, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omari149
Of course it was a joke
rolleyes.gif

oh my... my sarcasm radar must be broken tonight...

Jan 29, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
oh my... my sarcasm radar must be broken tonight...

dont worry, i thought he was serious too.

Jan 29, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't want to turn every topic into an Ipod related topic, but I am also looking for a flash based player at around 1 gig or less. And to be honest, a screen isn't that important to me. Is there anything similar to the Ipod Shuffle but cheaper in price? I don't want to pay much more for something that has a screen.

Jan 29, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchris
I don't want to turn every topic into an Ipod related topic, but I am also looking for a flash based player at around 1 gig or less. And to be honest, a screen isn't that important to me. Is there anything similar to the Ipod Shuffle but cheaper in price? I don't want to pay much more for something that has a screen.

the one thing the shuffle actually has going for it is that it's cheap. you wont be able to find many other players of that capacity for the same price. perhaps the scandisk one..

Jan 29, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 16
like the IFP-799 or something like that. However I don't know how many options you can set on the mp3 encoding. On the RipFlash+ there are a lot of various bitrates you can use for recording, but I want something better than that.

I just got a new toy , iriver ifp 999 and the recording is excellent ! The sound is awesome and the line in goes to 320 kbs! A little on the expensive side , I believe the 700- 800 series go to 320 too.

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 16
I just looked at the instructions for the IFP-899 (and 799) and it looks like that's the way to go. Do you think I should be able to use the Pogo microphone with it, or will I need to get another external mic? (the built-in mic on the Pogo is *censored* and mono.)
Is there a site where I can get a side-by-side comparison of the 899, 799, 599, and 399? (I don't need the photo-viewing option of the 999 - that's what my Canon PowerShot S1 IS (so long as I use CF cards) is for.)

I just saw a RED FLAG on Cnet - they say it won't let you upload music from the player to a PC. That would be a major problem for me if it won't let me upload things I've recorded onto the player, as I will be using that function a LOT!! Also a minor gripe is that it doesn't have a memory expansion slot, but considering it has a GB of space, it's probably ok (until I start recording a lot when I don't have access to a computer, but I don't want to get a hard drive player unless I can get one that can withstand considerable shocks without corrupting data or damaging the drive.)

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #14 of 16
So if I go with a flash-based player, then I like everything about the Iriver except that I can't download (to the player) mp3/wma/ogg's of me playing Moonlight Sonata on the piano, then re-upload it back to the computer later. Does anyone know of one that CAN do this, and does everything else the iriver players do? (I'd be willing to give up the ability to play protected WMA files, so long as either it doesn't play WMA at all, or I can find out how (with media player 6.4 or earlier or another program) to unprotect any WMA's I have.)

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

So if I go with a flash-based player, then I like everything about the Iriver except that I can't download (to the player) mp3/wma/ogg's of me playing Moonlight Sonata on the piano, then re-upload it back to the computer later

Are you saying that you want to take an mp3 (or whatever), load it from the computer to the iriver, and then later put the file back onto the computer? if this is what youre asking, then as far as I know, you can do that. I don't know of any reason why you wouldn't be able to do this with any player, as long as the file is not protected, which i have no experience with. As long as the computer has the iriver software on it, I think you can do whatever you want.

Quote:

However, I'd like to also be able to record 320kbps, manually select sampling frequencies below 32kHz

i checked on my iriver 390t, and you can do both of these on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back