Good flac player for mac ?
Jun 5, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably because they have their own lossless codec (Apple Lossless). Which are supported by QuickTime, iPod and AirPort Express as well.

iTunes play FLAC with the help of Fluke though.
wink.gif

Fluke works soooo well. I tried it last night. Prior to using Fluke I had this crazy apple script thing going on for each flac or ogg I wanted dropped into iTunes. Utter mayhem (well not really but it sure wasn't elegant!) This though...what a find! Now then...let's get those FLAC files on to an iPod already!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fluke works soooo well. I tried it last night. Prior to using Fluke I had this crazy apple script thing going on for each flac or ogg I wanted dropped into iTunes. Utter mayhem (well not really but it sure wasn't elegant!) This though...what a find! Now then...let's get those FLAC files on to an iPod already!
smily_headphones1.gif

Great news!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have not tried it myself, as I moved from FLAC to ALAC some 4 years back. But its certainly nice to see that it works as smooth as they claim.

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #18 of 37
Wow songbird seems really cool. I tried Fluke and it didn't work for me :-/. Does songbird support gapless playback? Usually iTunes does all that stuff automatically for me, but songbird doesn't for some reason.

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #19 of 37
Actually after using songbird for 10 min I take back what I said about it. I can't figure out how to do gapless playback and I have some bug where it wont let me fast forward a track. Eh I guess I'll try to find something else to play my flac files.

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #20 of 37
When you ran Fluke, before adding the files to iTunes, did you search them out in the director and "right click" then "open with" and search for fluke.app?

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually after using songbird for 10 min I take back what I said about it. I can't figure out how to do gapless playback and I have some bug where it wont let me fast forward a track. Eh I guess I'll try to find something else to play my flac files.

Well, its still in beta stage. So expect a bug once in a while...
/me don't like it either, but that's just me and the XUL stuff

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple™ used to be all about options.
Now it's all about restrictions.
frown.gif

Well I understand that you are concerned about lossless openness, but lets not forget they use AAC/MP3 and H.264/MPEG-4 open standards not owned by Apple instead of coming up with their own WMA/WMV-like formats. Lossless is the exception (unless you count the DRM which I think it's fair to doubt was Apples sole idea) and likely for the reasons I mentioned before. I certainly understand the desire for more codec support (Ogg Vorbis, DviX, etc.) though. Not sure Apple has ever really been about every possibility (think eliminating serial/parallel ports, floppy drive, etc.) over what it considers "the best" or at least "future".

Jun 7, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

When you ran Fluke, before adding the files to iTunes, did you search them out in the director and "right click" then "open with" and search for fluke.app?

Yeah that's exactly what I did. I've realized why it didn't work now though. Since I just switched from a windows pc all my music is stored on a FAT32 based external hd. Mac OSX can read FAT32, but not write to it and apparently Fluke needs to edit these files to allow them to play in Mac OSX.

BTW what happens when I connect my iPod to my computer? Will it try to send these files and then give me an error message?

Jun 7, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've realized why it didn't work now though. Since I just switched from a windows pc all my music is stored on a FAT32 based external hd. Mac OSX can read FAT32, but not write to it and apparently Fluke needs to edit these files to allow them to play in Mac OSX.

Mac OS X can both read and write to FAT32. But perhaps you use NTFS file system? Which Mac OS X can't write to.

Jun 7, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Mac OS X can both read and write to FAT32. But perhaps you use NTFS file system? Which Mac OS X can't write to.

Sure it can
wink.gif
I do it every day!

I can't quite remember which option I went with but this is a good one:
NTFS-3G: Stable Read/Write NTFS Driver

Jun 7, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Sure it can
wink.gif
I do it every day!

But not natively (out-of-the-box) though! Which were the point here...

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Yeah I ment NTFS
cool.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Sure it can
wink.gif
I do it every day!

WOW I just installed this (have to install some other program called MacFuse to get it to work) and it works perfectly! Thanks
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #30 of 37
Hmmm... actually it's not letting read my external HD for some reason, I get an error when I plug it in. Weird, must investigate this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back