Good entry level Headphones
Oct 9, 2020 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

shortStack

New Head-Fier
Hello, fellow Head-Fiers,

I recently tried on a friend's HD-660s and was absolutely blown away. I really liked how detailed the sound was, and now my beat-up pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs simply don't cut it.

I read through the headphone guides and decided that here are my wants/needs:

Budget: around 150usd

Usage: I will primarily be using these for gaming/zoom/music in front of my desktop. Size doesn't matter.

Sound: I mostly listen to rock and would like it to have the same general profile as the 660s, I recognize that there is no way a $150 headphone will rival that of a $600 headphone, but I would like it to sound similar.

Form factor: I want circumaural headphones with thick pads. I will have these on for most of the day, and my current headphones are uncomfortable because even though they are circumaural, their pads aren't thick enough so they hurt my rather large ears.

Current Driver setup: I have a pc with a generic realtek chip.

I was thinking about getting the entry level sennheisers, but their impedance is fairly high, and I don't know if my chip can drive them, which got me looking at the HD-4xx from massdrop-hifiman.

Any ideas/reccomendations would be appriciated!

Edits:
I'm fine with buying used equipment.
I have a hifi tidal subscription as well
Edit2:
I'm getting a ton of recommendations for the 58x, does anyone have experience driving them with a realtek soundcard?
Edit3: the Phillips SHP9500 sounds like it has a really large soundstage with good imaging, which (i think) I care a lot about, the only offputting thing for me is how much cheaper it is.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 24
I second goodleechanghwa! Although, I've found that my HE4XX are actually harder to drive than my 6XXs. I haven't tried them personally but I've heard great things about the X2s made by Philips and I think those would probably be your best option for your setup.

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #14 of 24
+1 on 58x given the stated preferences. Unfortunately can't comment on driving with a Realtek soundcard but I think you'll almost certainly run into trouble with the 6xx.

Sidenote: I can definitely appreciate being mindful towards a budget, but just to throw something else out there to maybe look into, I'd eventually see if you can squeeze in a decent external DAC/headphone amp. I use an Apogee Groove for my travel production setup that I picked up used for a little over $100 and is excellent for the price. Something like that would be a significant improvement over your internal soundcard and allow you to purchase whatever HP you want in the future without worrying about having the juice to drive them properly (but maybe that'd be a bad thing for your wallet long-term :dt880smile:).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #15 of 24

Thanks, that was really thouro
+1 on 58x given the stated preferences. Unfortunately can't comment on driving with a Realtek soundcard but I think you'll almost certainly run into trouble with the 6xx.

Sidenote: I can definitely appreciate being mindful towards a budget, but just to throw something else out there to maybe look into, I'd eventually see if you can squeeze in a decent external DAC/headphone amp. I use an Apogee Groove for my travel production setup that I picked up used for a little over $100 and is excellent for the price. Something like that would be a significant improvement over your internal soundcard and allow you to purchase whatever HP you want in the future without worrying about having the juice to drive them properly (but maybe that'd be a bad thing for your wallet long-term :dt880smile:).
Ya for sure. I just want to build this up slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back