Good Email Clients
May 21, 2004 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ipodstudio

Banned: - aka full monty - aka didikossa - aka R1D1 - aka migraineboy - aka setharmstrong - aka threavester - aka Sarah.B - aka javier - aka DoomV1 - aka JIAA
Thought I'd start a thread to see what kind of email clients folks were using these days.

I personally have used The bat! for a few years now and can say it's great software and one of the safest, too..

May 21, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 28
I just use webbased yahoo. It was too complicated with Outlook, which I original tried to use, and I've just used various webbased emails since. I like the fact that I can use the same mail everywhere.

May 21, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Thought I'd start a thread to see what kind of email clients folks were using these days.

I personally have used The bat! for a few years now and can say it's great software and one of the safest, too..

Can you import emails from Outlook to The Bat!?
confused.gif

May 21, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 28
If your goal was to see what people use these days, the title of the post should be changed to reflect that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyhow, I used Netscape Communicator's mail program up until a month or two ago, and recently moved to Outlook Express.

OE may get ragged on by everyone, but it works, and it's free. I've got nine different IMAP e-mail accounts I'm using, and OE makes it very easy to see and access each of them, all with different outgoing e-mail servers, incoming e-mail servers, etc.

Filters could be improved to work with IMAP-based mail accounts, and checking-interval should be able to be configured per-account and not on a global basis, but I'm satisfied with what it allows me to do.

Two thumbs up from here.

May 21, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
Can you import emails from Outlook to The Bat!?
confused.gif

Yep, no probs.
wink.gif

May 21, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 28
The Bat! software writers are based in the Republic of Moldova, BTW. Just some extra useless info..
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 28
Apple Mail and Pine.

Pine is my favorite, but so many of my idiotic friends send HTML and rich text e-mails these days, I have to use Apple Mail to read them right.

frown.gif

--Chris

May 22, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 28
I use Eudora, but only because I'm used to it (I've been using it for a decade). However, I do find that its filing system, search function, and filtering are very useful and powerful, so I haven't given much thought to switching to something else.

But, if I wasn't already using Eudora (and storing tens of thousands of e-mails in its filing system), I'd probably use either Thunderbird or Apple Mail. In my testing of these two clients, I find that they are closest to my idea of what constitutes a good e-mail client. That is, they are intuitively-designed, easy to use, have many useful features, and offer good stability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
The Bat! software writers are based in the Republic of Moldova, BTW. Just some extra useless info..
biggrin.gif

I get a fair bit of spam with The Bat! listed in the x-mailer header. Although, I don't necessarily believe that people are using The Bat! to batch-send spam, filtering for The Bat! could reduce my spamload substantially. Unfortunately, I do occasionally receive legitimate e-mail from people using The Bat!, so I just have to rely on other mail rules as specified in my server-side and client-side filtering.

D.

May 22, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion
Thunderbird

Same here. I switched from PocoMail 8 months ago after PocoMail decided it didn't want to check email any longer and nothing I did could fix it. There are still some things I miss about PocoMail, its filtering features are far more powerful and easier to use than Thunderbird's antiquated filters and PocoMail is easier to use overall, but Thunderbird beats it overall in speed and reliability. Not to mention it's free.

May 22, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp
Apple Mail and Pine.

Pine is my favorite, but so many of my idiotic friends send HTML and rich text e-mails these days, I have to use Apple Mail to read them right.

frown.gif

--Chris

you can set Pine up to use lynx/links to view the HTML components of the email. I'm not sure how to handle the RTF emails, but you should be able to change you character set to accomidate them when you get them (ala procmail and your pine config).

Apple's OSX mail client is great, however I love the simplicity of Pine. Mutt is another (threaded mail rocks)...

May 22, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demolition

I get a fair bit of spam with The Bat! listed in the x-mailer header. Although, I don't necessarily believe that people are using The Bat! to batch-send spam, filtering for The Bat! could reduce my spamload substantially. Unfortunately, I do occasionally receive legitimate e-mail from people using The Bat!, so I just have to rely on other mail rules as specified in my server-side and client-side filtering.

D.

Hi Demo! Yes, I think some of the spammers actually use The Bat! to send out mass emails. I believe you can mod it for that. It's pretty safe, too, so spammers probably like that as they sure must get revenge attacked quite abit..
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back