Good Email Clients
May 25, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #16 of 28
PocoMail and Mozilla Thunderbird are the two best email clients, IMHO. The Bat! is also very good, but not as polished as the other two. Outlook Express lacks basic features that puts it very far behind all three of these. The most recent version of full Outlook is pretty good though (its multiple views are equivalent to Poco's instant filters), if you can put up with the drawbacks of Outlook (frequent security updates, slow for large sets of emails unless you archive, difficulty in carrying your settings and emails around with you on a USB keychain for access anywhere, especially at public terminals, etc.). I also like Apple's Mail.app; its Poco-style instant filters are great.

Donovansmith, PocoMail probably stopped working for you because your ISP switched to requiring SSL connections for email. For the longest time PocoMail didn't support this, but you could get around it using a free program called "stunnel". Very recent versions of PocoMail probably support SSL natively (not sure about that though).

May 25, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #17 of 28
MS Outlook on DSL for instant download time

No security problems ,no spam,no viruses

I keep my virus definitions , patches and firewall up to date

and i scan outgoing as well as incoming

May 25, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Donovansmith, PocoMail probably stopped working for you because your ISP switched to requiring SSL connections for email. For the longest time PocoMail didn't support this, but you could get around it using a free program called "stunnel". Very recent versions of PocoMail probably support SSL natively (not sure about that though).

Actually, it would hang up when trying to download email. The connection worked fine but it barfed on certain headers. I tried PocoMail 3 and PocoMail 2.6 and the same thing happened, so I gave up and switched to another client. Thunderbird used the same Unix mailbox format as PocoMail so switching my mailboxes over was easy enough and I found Thunderbird to be much faster than PocoMail for handling large email boxes. Plus I can use it cross-platform, too.

May 25, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Outlook Express lacks basic features that puts it very far behind all three of these.

Outlook Express does everything I want. I dont see how it lacks basic functions, because it has all the basic functions 99% of home users will use, including me.

And I've tried Thunderbird, and frankly, there was no real difference to me.

May 25, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #20 of 28
I use outlook express for some tasks but as mentioned I use outlook mainly

I can not think of a time where i stopped and thought "I need XXXXX"

Anything i require in an e-mail package is there and with automatic virus scanning I am very comfortable sending and receiving mail .Yes it slows down the speed of sending and receivingmail but that is a small price for security and the havoc that can happen if unprotected.

My firewall on the other hand can be damn aggravating at times ,but also a neccessary evil when there are idiots with nothing better to do with thier time than to srew with people they never met by creating viruses and worms

If any of you are out there

[size=medium]HEY ! GET A LIFE ![/size]

May 25, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
I use outlook express for some tasks but as mentioned I use outlook mainly

I can not think of a time where i stopped and thought "I need XXXXX"

[size=medium]HEY ! GET A LIFE ![/size]

same here... except i switched over to Thunderbird just because it's not MS.. since i've switched away fro the Jekyll&Hyde combo of IE&OE my runtime has been limitless
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 28
Mozilla 1.6. I'll probably switch to their stand-alone one soon. I feel it's safer than OE. I don't even use Office, even though I can get it for free from work, I just feel it's safer to use OpenOffice and Mozilla Mail.
My 2 cents...

May 28, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Outlook Express does everything I want. I dont see how it lacks basic functions, because it has all the basic functions 99% of home users will use, including me.

And I've tried Thunderbird, and frankly, there was no real difference to me.

Home users have different needs. At work I often get hundreds of emails a day and would find it difficult to keep up without some of the more advanced features that full Outlook (recent versions)/PocoMail/Thunderbird have, e.g. being able to see a filtered view of which emails require followup or action without having to click down through each folder, one-keystroke searching, etc.

May 28, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #24 of 28
I downloaded Thunderbird, but never used it. I guess it's time to check it out and see what it offers.

May 28, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #26 of 28
Is Mozilla gonna ever charge for their software? If so, they're gonna lose a large market share. I like Firefox, but am 100% sure I won't pay for it.

May 28, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Is Mozilla gonna ever charge for their software? If so, they're gonna lose a large market share. I like Firefox, but am 100% sure I won't pay for it.

As of now, no. The Mozilla Foundation and its' core of programmers are way too focused on keeping it simple in terms of releasing future updates / patches until they make the big Version 1.0. Afterwards, I seriously doubt they will charge for their software. Think about it: Microsoft IE 6.x, Netscape Navigator 7.x, and Opera are all free web browsers. People are too used to getting free web browsers over the past three years straight by these major competitors. I can not fathom why anyone would ever charge money for a web browser since Microsoft will release their "next generation" web browser for free as a part of their Longhorn project in ~ 2008; it will be inextricably tied into the core of Longhorn and won't come as an extra separate charge beyond paying for the OS.

May 28, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #28 of 28
Welly,

Thanks for the reassurance. I am getting used to the Firefox software and would hate to change back to IE. Ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back