Good DVD-Rs
Dec 31, 2005 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

BodiesOfLight

500+ Head-Fier
I've never had to buy these before. I know most good CD-Rs are made in Japan, so does the same apply for DVD-Rs?

Any brands/manufacturers to look out for?

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 35
If you mean DVD -R (not CD -R) it can depend on which DVD recorder you are using. I use a Panasonic and have found that TUFFDISC are cheap and reliable. PHILLIPS are expensive and reliable.

On my machine, RIVISION play up and I just get errors which is a real pain if you are recording something you really want to see. I no longer use them. However, RIVISION would probably work on another machine.

It's a case of try it and see what is the best option/price for you machine.

Ian

Dec 31, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 35
Jan 1, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 35
Riteks seem to work well for me.

Jan 1, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
I've never had to buy these before. I know most good CD-Rs are made in Japan, so does the same apply for DVD-Rs?

Any brands/manufacturers to look out for?

I would look out of for Fujifilm, I bought a pack of 100 for pretty cheap, but I get a ton of mess-up's, probably around 20%.

I prefer Verbatim, I have never burnt a coaster with them out of 150 or so discs.

Memorex isn't half bad either for the price.

Jan 1, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 35
I find Datawrite Titaniums pretty good, Taiyo Yuden are very good, but seeing as you can get three times as many Datawrite Titaniums than Taiyo Yuden they're a bargain.

This is in the UK - But I presume they're produced for a global market.

Oh yes, its very rare that I get a failure with the Datawrite Titaniums.

Jan 1, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbluewater
Ditto on Taiyo Yuden media - they are the largest DVD media maker in Japan, and the major branding labels use them as well (Sony, Fuji, etc.).
You should also check out the "Media" forum at http://forum.videohelp.com/viewforum...599dade225d51d

That's where I researched media to buy. I first started with Ritek and Ridata, but I found better success with the Prodisc brand and that's what I've been using for the past couple of years.

I buy from supermediastore.com and they often list the speed at which the media will burn on specific burners. After buying some 8x Ridata discs once from newegg, I found out too late that it would only burn at x4 on my NEC 2500a.

TY discs are nice but are usually more expensive than other brands if cost is of any concern.

Jan 1, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 35
I buy branded +Rs. Most brands (especially Japanese) use the same, good manufacturer for DVD+Rs, -Rs are much more variable and I've had lots of lemons. Only problem is if you burn a disc for a friend who turns out to have an old drive that won't read +Rs, which sucks, but for personal archiving, they're the best IMHO.

Jan 3, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 35
I buy verbatims and such from radioshack. The prices are great too, $15 for 50
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 35
Just got a burner (NEC-3550A) for Christmas, so I'm a bit new to all of this. I've played with various CD media for years, though, and with those, TY is indeed the best I ever found. I always snagged Fuji branded TY at Best Buy during their specials. $8 for 50. About $18 normally, which I've had to pay a couple of times. Sucks. But I've never had one coaster with them.

For DVD, I bought a 25 pack of Sony +R at Best Buy, again, due to a special. $8 for 25 isn't bad. I did a little bit of Googling once I got home, and they apparently aren't terrible. I've only burned a couple so far, but they seem to work fine. They actually go past their rating. They're 8x, but they burn fine at 12x. (BTW, the 3550A is an awesome burner. Somehow or another, it figures out as it's burning how fast it can go, and will even adjust the laser intensity. Also, it burns every format except -RAM, is 16x, and DL to boot)

The burner came with a 5+1 pack of Ridata, so I'll see how those are. The 4x +RW works great, I can tell you that. Been using it for my Xbox, and also for test runs of DVDs. Works fine in all our players. The other 5 are 2.4x +R DL discs. Free, so I can't complain. Haven't tried one of those yet, though. Too expensive to waste
biggrin.gif
I'll find something for them...

Jan 4, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport
I would look out of for Fujifilm, I bought a pack of 100 for pretty cheap, but I get a ton of mess-up's, probably around 20%.

I prefer Verbatim, I have never burnt a coaster with them out of 150 or so discs.

Memorex isn't half bad either for the price.

I seem to have about 30% duds with Fuji. But Memorex and Sony discs are doing really quite well for me, as are the el cheapo HPs... You should first verify whether your burner agrees more or not with DVD+ vs DVD-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back