Good DAC for Stax
May 13, 2018 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Muffinhead

100+ Head-Fier
I got me some SR007's. I have a modi right now but it's having some issues and is definitely holding my system back. I want a standalone USB DAC that is transparent, clean, and precise for under $400 (tops!) I want to buy used if possible, and would prefer something other than Schiit this time around,

Thanks!

May 13, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 3
I have used my JDS EL DAC as a backup on my 007 setup to good results. It and the Chord Mojo are my favorite DACs under $1,000 (that's why I bought one :wink: ).

May 14, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 3
Unfortunately for you, the best DAC in your price range is the Schiit Modi Multibit. If that's the Modi you have, then the next step up is the Chord Mojo, since nothing in your price range beats the Modi Multibit.

The Modi Multibit should be a noticeable improvement over your Modi, but of course if you want an ENORMOUS upgrade you have to spend a lot more...

That's two votes for the Mojo. Also I used the Mojo with my Stax SR-007 setup, it improved the sound nicely compared to the gigantic Bel Canto DAC 3 it replaced (which had an MSRP of over $3,000). Modern state of the art DACs are really worth it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back