Good Dac and Amp for Sennheiser HD 558 and AKG K240 with possibility of future headphone upgrade?
Jun 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
I was curious to know if I should get the Schiit Magni, and get the Modi (or something lower grade later) to power my current headphones. 

Would the Magni go good with these headphones? I'm currently using the FiiO E7 but I feel a little half ass'd with this thing. also, would the Magni work on headphones like the Sennheiser HD 650 in case I wanted to upgrade in the future? One more question; does the Magni plug into a motherboard or do I have to get the Modi to plug into the motherboard of my computer?

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
So basically I didn't want to come to this forum originally, because I'm under the impression that threads like this belong in the introductions, help and recommendations forum, but I was curious to know if I should get the Schiit Magni, and get the Modi (or something lower grade later) to power my current headphones. 

Would the Magni go good with these headphones? I'm currently using the FiiO E7 but I feel a little half ass'd with this thing. also, would the Magni work on headphones like the Sennheiser HD 650 in case I wanted to upgrade in the future? One more question; does the Magni plug into a motherboard or do I have to get the Modi to plug into the motherboard of my computer?

I have the HD598 and magni/modi. They are good with each other. E7, imo, isn't much of an upgrade from computer's sound card. Magni and modi will work fine with HD650/600. And finally, I would stay away from plugging magni into computer motherboard as that is double amping, and it reduces the sound quality. Why not get a Fiio L7 to use for E7 as a dac and use magni as an amp?

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I have the HD598 and magni/modi. They are good with each other. E7, imo, isn't much of an upgrade from computer's sound card. Magni and modi will work fine with HD650/600. And finally, I would stay away from plugging magni into computer motherboard as that is double amping, and it reduces the sound quality. Why not get a Fiio L7 to use for E7 as a dac and use magni as an amp?

At that price I'd be better off getting the modi instead of the E7 since you say the E7 isn't much of an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back