Good, comfortable portable closed ear/headphones about $60?
Mar 17, 2004 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

marvie

New Head-Fier
After reading through like 50 pages of threads, I've come to the conclusion that you guys will probably suggest the V6/7506 or Eggos based on my suggestions above.

Some points of reference:

I like the way my KSC35 sounds off the iPod, but the problem is that it leaks. Comfort is just so-so.

I am neutral towards my HD497. I don't hate it, but it's not particularly mind-blowing either. It also rubs against the outside of my ears - not comfortable.

The Grado SR80, on the other hand, is like a love-hate relationship. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. It is generally too shrill for me, and I couldn't stand the impact it delivers - it's not "relaxing" at all. FYI I have tried both bowl and flat pads.. I think I'm just not a Grado guy. I do, however, dig the look of it
confused.gif
weird eh!.

So I've recently bought a used Sony CD780 off FS/FT forum and I'll see what I think of them before deciding which to keep
smily_headphones1.gif
(Holycrap.. I just realized that I blew about $200 on headphones in less than 2 weeks!
blink.gif
)

And oh, don't bash me, but I actually like how my Logitech Z560 sounds
wink.gif
Yes I know the bass is overpowering sometimes, but I still think it sounds pretty good!

----------------------------------------------
So it basically breaks down to these requirements:
- closed!!
- unamped off a 3G iPod.
- verrrry comfortable (no sweaty, can wear for hours etc).
- about $60 (I ended up spending more quite a few times already.. so spare me this once )
- preferably cans. I don't see any buds that fit the bill anyway
- I like female vocals. I also like rock - some albums of my playlist include movie soundtracks (mostly orchestral), Audioslave, Alicia Keys, Diana Krall, Dido, Eric Clapton, Evanescence, Foo Fighters, GnR, Nirvana, Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan, Queens of the Stone Age, a bunch of unplugged's etc - you get the idea! So now I have no idea what to get - stronger bass for rock? Good midrange for vocals? what?
blink.gif

- "forgiving" headphones? I know that my source aren't that great.. so .. yeah..
----------------------------------------------

Suggestions welcome.. thanks!

Mar 17, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 21
Hmm, this is a tough one.... A caviar taste (requirement) on a pizza budget! For the songs you've mentioned, Sony MDR-CD3000 or Senn HD-650 w/ Zu cable come to my mind but these cans will run you over $350.

For $60 ($69 to be preciously), V6 comes pretty close to what you want except for not being sweaty (and it is slightly bright-sounding phone). May I suggest, buy NEW V6 and upgrade its ear pads later (Beyer's).

-Mike

Mar 18, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

And oh, don't bash me, but I actually like how my Logitech Z560 sounds Yes I know the bass is overpowering sometimes, but I still think it sounds pretty good!

Welcome to team basshead!!!
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Maybe, just maybe, you're a candidate for the 80Ohm DT 770s and a Pimeta? I would keep saving for these. I love mine. They can be bright at times, but the bass is excellent. You almost have to turn it down. These aren't for everyone though...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 21
Give 'em more budget to work with and you will get more than handful of suggestions
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 21
Actually, new HD280's are potentially in your range -- I just picked up a pair new for $65 by getting my local Guitar Center to price-match this site. Worth a try if you've got a GC in your area, or another store that will price-match.

Mar 19, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by marvie
I have considered HD280s.. but aren't they hard to drive without an amp?

I drive mine off the headphone jack of a Rio Karma without any problems. For comparison, I usually listen to my Shure E2's (which are very sensitive) at a volume of about 14/30, and the HD280's at about 21/30. I'd think that the iPod's headphone-out should handle them pretty well.

Mar 19, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 21
There's two criterium to evaluate comfort... one, is the physical comfort level; two is the mental fatigue associated with certain type of sounds.

So given that two headphone that's good enough and in your price range...

HD280:

Physical comfort wise, these headphones suck. They are extremely, extremely tight when you first get them, they're like clamps on your head. You need to stretch out with a stack of books or something first for a couple of hours. Sometimes overnight before you can comfortably wear them.

The pads and headbands are very thick, so they look like big ugly monsters on your head. Not aesthetically pleasing at all. The closed cup builds up enormous amount of heat after wearing them for a while.... hot and sweaty...

Sound-wise, these headphones stresses high-end detail through the midrange. It doesn't have that much bass, you hear notes, but no visceral impact or vibrations of any sort. So if high-end sound gives you mental fatigue, stay away from these headphones. Of course, this differs from person to person, you might get used to them, you might not.

V6:

Physical comfort is excellent with these headphones. The pads sit softly around/partially on top if you got big ears. There isn't a whole lot of clamping, so it doesn't create a real seal around your ear. Some air gets to move in and out which allows it to stay cooler than the HD280, it will still build up heat as all closed headphone will.

However, that comes at a loss of isolation, so if you're wearing these on trains or airplanes.. it's not going to be pleasant, you're going to have to crank it up to be able to use them... not good for your ears.

Sound-wise, they are bright as well, but unlike the HD280, they have an adequate bass, very punchy and visceral, to counter-act the bright highs. So overall you get a better balance mentally, so you might feel that you can listen to these headphones for much longer.

However, V6 has some more "holes" in the middle of the three sound spectrum "humps", namely, it's got good midrange, highs and bass, but sounds a bit hollow in between.

In contrast, HD280 sounds full from highs down to mids, then it hollows out the low-ends.

Hey, they're $60, it's a trade-off, you get what you pay for
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 21
your eval of ksc-35, hd497, and sr60/80 mimics mine almost exactly...

so with your criteria in mind, and the fact that you like female vocals, i think there's a good chance that you'll love the D66 Eggos

the only way to get them below 60$, though, is to get them used, like i did. (55$ shipped)

they are comfy, closed, portable, easily driven, and very good for vocals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back