Good closed headphones for rock/rap/techno
Nov 6, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool! How does the D2000 do without an amp?

Denons have relatively low impedance, so you could use it unamped no problem and get good volume. An amp would certainly improve it though.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #19 of 29
yeah, you need more posts

as far as the D2000's "relatively low impedance", i love that nobody can read (i've only explained it once so far, but don't worry, it'll get explained again, you wont' read it though, thats why you're still "junior" (read: newbie))

it can get some noise going from an "unamped" (more correctly, using the output stage of a DAP or something), however if you've ever heard them properly wired in, you'll never go back (you gain LF control, better mids and top end, better imaging, better PRaT, generally everything gets better and you realize that running them unamped is a waste of money (if you're running them straight from an ipod, as it sounds like you want to, get the D1000's or JVC HA-RX700 or HA-RX900's, save your money))

and i know, you're thinking "oh he's stupid" or something, no, you won't gain a damned thing running D2000's on an ipod, over getting something less hi-fi/requiring (theres a reason denon markets these as "reference stereo headphone"), hi-fi speakers require hi-fi amplifiers, just as hi-fi headphones require hi-fi amplifiers

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, you need more posts

as far as the D2000's "relatively low impedance", i love that nobody can read (i've only explained it once so far, but don't worry, it'll get explained again, you wont' read it though, thats why you're still "junior" (read: newbie))

it can get some noise going from an "unamped" (more correctly, using the output stage of a DAP or something), however if you've ever heard them properly wired in, you'll never go back (you gain LF control, better mids and top end, better imaging, better PRaT, generally everything gets better and you realize that running them unamped is a waste of money (if you're running them straight from an ipod, as it sounds like you want to, get the D1000's or JVC HA-RX700 or HA-RX900's, save your money))

and i know, you're thinking "oh he's stupid" or something, no, you won't gain a damned thing running D2000's on an ipod, over getting something less hi-fi/requiring (theres a reason denon markets these as "reference stereo headphone"), hi-fi speakers require hi-fi amplifiers, just as hi-fi headphones require hi-fi amplifiers

I'm not sure if my DAP is any better, but i have an iAudio X5 -- do you know if this would work better?

Also, I was thinking about getting a Yamaha 663 receiver... this should be able to drive the D2000s right?

Doing more searches on the D2000, there was this one thread which asked about the comparison between a D2000 and a ATH-AD900 (i have this). Does this mean they are very similar?

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #22 of 29
like the post before you, don't use a ~$300 range headphone (this includes the DT 770, $300 based on MSRP, not based on whatever sale is going on today) unless you have a well endowed source or legitimate amplifier

that means no DAPs
as far as receiver goes, it'll drive it and make noise, but again, won't sound very good

get a real headphone amplifier if you want ~$300 range 'phones

if you want mobile, get something that can work mobile

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #24 of 29
what headphones do you happen to have? (there are always exceptions to any rule, mind you, however we're basically trying to tell you that its a waste of the 'phones to run them off a DAP, it'll still *work* (for example, I can plug my HD 580's into my A829 and it makes noise, but its not the quality I know either is capable of))

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recessed mids is an unavoidable problem for any bassy headphones.

Try an edition 9. Has bass and no recessed mids.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if my DAP is any better, but i have an iAudio X5 -- do you know if this would work better?

Also, I was thinking about getting a Yamaha 663 receiver... this should be able to drive the D2000s right?

Doing more searches on the D2000, there was this one thread which asked about the comparison between a D2000 and a ATH-AD900 (i have this). Does this mean they are very similar?

Im using my v663 to drive a pair of dt880 and it sound fine
smily_headphones1.gif
so, ull be alright with the d2k.

Now, not to threadjack but.. i was also looking for something along the lines of d2k vs dt770.. i have a tendency to drop things so.. i may just go with the dt770.. but.. to those that have owned both, how durable is one vs the other??

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #28 of 29
If you do end up getting a portable amp, I highly recommend the Beyerdynamic DT150. They are $192 with free shipping at B&H Photo. They can do everything well and have wonderful bass that will suit the genres you listed. I am using them with an iBasso D3 and they sound amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back