Good Class D amp to usewith the zero DAC
Nov 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ads2

Head-Fier
Hello,

I plan to buy a Zero DAC and a DIY (already mounted component on pcb) class D amplifier.
I'm thinking of something made with a TA2024. Sound seems to be nice but not very high (2x15W).

Any other suggestion ?

Thanks

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 18
I would suggest a LM3875 or LM3886 based amp. More power, and IMO better sound than a tripath.

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 18
I really, really like the 41Hz Amp6 and Amp6-BASIC. You can get a PCB built for you I think, IIRC there have been some offers to build for not much money - check the 41hz.com forums.

Edit - those are 2024 amps btw.

The amps are really good. The most bass I've heard out of an amp were out of the little Amp6 dudes, and it was clean, tight bass. That was the part I didn't expect - I expected the midrange to be really nice, and it was. But the bass really surprised me pleasantly.

http://41hz.com
http://41hz.com/Forums

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 18
The TA2024 output is more like 7W into 8ohm before clipping. They couldn't power my medium efficiency speakers that well so I went with the 41Hz Amp5 instead, which outputs 60W. The UcD Class D amps are quieter and more refined sounding though. No Class D amp I've heard so far can correctly render treble however. Too polite sounding.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 18
That orange board doesn't look bad at all, looks like it's done in the same spirit I like in T-Amps. Nice input caps, plenty of power caps. If the layout is good, this should be a pretty nice amp. Judging from the cover, it's a good book
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit - the price looks right too. Actually, that looks like the perfect kit, quite a find ...

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 18
Nov 14, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 18
I think a gainclone gives you more 'tweakability' and opinion seems to be that they sound better than a class D, plus the design is considerably simpler. The downside is that a complete amp will probably end up costing you more due to the beefier power supply and heatsink.

That LM3886 kit looks like a good deal if it weren't for the shipping. A BrianGT kit ends up being just a few bucks more http://chipamp.com/lm3886.shtml

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a gainclone gives you more 'tweakability' and opinion seems to be that they sound better than a class D=DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

Oh! - I can't agree with that, well up to a point I can. Disclaimer: I've never heard a LMxxxx chipamp.

Class D is a pretty wide range of stuff, and they're significantly varied animals. The old concept of "Class D" focused only on efficiency, and may have low, fixed switching rates and simple topologies. Newer designs are very different, have constantly varying switching frequencies approaching a MHz, complex modulators etc. etc. - this is "grown up" class D. Brands include like UcD, Tripath, NewClassD, Icepower etc.

As I haven't heard an LM chipamp, I can only refer to opinion. The opinion that I've seen is that the LM's have an edge in bass, but that Tripath, for instance, generally have better dynamics, transparency, sweet midrange etc.

The only concrete comparison I have is between
A) Some 41Hz.com amps, Amp6, Amp6-BASIC, Amp11
B) Antique Sound Lab Wave AV-8, valve monoblocks

The AV-8 was the best sounding amplifier I had heard 3-4 years ago. The Tripath amps I have built are very, very close to that. Not identical - the valve amp was a sliver more magical in a hazy way, but the Tripath amps are a bit more realistic - but definitely still "magical".

IMO in short-
Valve amps are like a beautiful, warm, golden-red sunset, while Tripath amps are like a beautiful, crisp, colorful sunrise morning.

What a long post
smily_headphones1.gif
The point is: I am not knocking chipamps in any way - I however encourage everyone to surprise themselves by listening to a good Class D amp.

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ads2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So wich one should I buy the T-Amp kit with power supply inclided or this one (no power supply included) ?

To actually address the question -
I would say it depends on the power you need. What kind of speakers do you have? How efficient are they, and what impedance do they have?

If 15W into 4 Ohm or 8W into 8 Ohm is certainly enough, my vote goes to the Tripath kit.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 18
Well,
As I said before
Quote:

As I said it's for a 12m2 bedroom with :
- Zero DAC with HDAM modding
- Custom CD Transport
- Speaker Studio Lab SLB 102.3

for the speakers :
Caractéristiques

* Puissance Max (PMP) 100 watts
* Sensibilité 88 dB
* Nb de voies 2
* Bande Passante 3dB 60 – 20000 Hz
* Fréquence de coupure 3800 Hz
* Tweeter Dôme 25 mm
* Boomer 170 mm
* Impédance 6 Ohms
* Finition Noyer foncé
* Dimensions 360x200x240mm (hxlxp)
* Poids 6kg

Hope this help...

I have never heared the TA2024 nor the LM3886
confused_face.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ads2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well,
* Sensibilité 88 dB
* Impédance 6 Ohms

OK this is basically what is most important. With 6 Ohm speakers, you'll get around 12W of clean power out of the Tripath chip.

Your speaker makes 88dB with 1 watt. According to this calculator > http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/dbw.htm <, 11 more watts is ~10dB more sound - so the Tripath + speakers will give you up to 98dB of good sound, and a bit more with a bit more distortion.

It's a tossup
smily_headphones1.gif
Best of all, I'd go for a more powerful Tripath amp, next the chipamp, then the 2024.

I've seen 90-92dB efficiency as a rule of thumb for minimum efficiency with TA2024 amps, if it is supposed to be a really good match.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

It's a tossup Best of all, I'd go for a more powerful Tripath amp, next the chipamp, then the 2024.

I'm a little bit lost...and my english is quite bad..I'm a Portuguese from France
wink.gif

I think your calculation was for a 2024 (2x15W).
So if it is not enough, wich Tripath amp do you suggest me ?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back