Good, cheap, Linux-friendly USB DACs?
Nov 14, 2010 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mfaughn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have switched to linux almost entirely (soooo nice to be free of MS / Apple).  I still have one computer (out of at least 15 in my home) running Windows because my DACs must have it (Musiland Monitor02, Emu0404usb).  I have some unassembled grubDAC proto parts but my vision is failing and I drink too much coffee these days so manage the smd work.  So I want to buy a couple of relatively inexpensive but decent DACs that will play nice with Linux.  It'd be nice if I didn't have to spend too much more than what I could bet from selling my Monitor02 and 0404.  I found a few threads but most are getting a bit long in the tooth.  Wondering what today's take on the best options are.

Thanks,
Michael

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't think you will have a problem with most usb dac's except those that require drivers. That being said I use a audinst hud-mx1 with the most recent version of ubuntu.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 8
Well, I own two USB DACs that will not work with Linux.  I know why they won't but that doesn't help me very much does it?
I can pretty easily tell that the Monitor02 is better than the 0404.  I have just been reading that the udac-2 is a good unit but perhaps not quite the equal of the Monitor02.  (I offered to help develop linux drivers for the Monitor02 a while back but they weren't interested).  Going backwards in SQ is a tough pill to swallow these days so "any old DAC" isn't exactly what I'm after.  Maybe I should've said "really amazing" where I said "good" but that doesn't always find a mate with "cheap".  I guess I'm after best bang for buck in the under $200 bunch.  I should also note that I'm really only interested in the DAC duties.  I've got the headphone amp(s) covered already.  I actually need two or possibly three DACs and am mostly interested in using them as a source straight into power amps (perhaps with an intervening buffer stage ala Pass B1) and don't really care about any integrated HP amps.  I'll probably get a udac-2 and give it a whirl but there is room for more to play.

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 8
i dont know how the e7 compares (in sq) to the dacs your use to cause im still new to this stuff and havent heard either of them yet, but i remember reading that the e7 and the whole series for that matter is compatible with linux and are recognized instantly, it jumped out at me because im a fellow linux user and was worried about that too.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Hmm, hadn't seen the E7.  Not really ready to be a source for anything other than headphones, so...nope.  Uses TI USB receiver so good with Linux though.

Why are people still eating at MacWindows anyway?  oops, that's off topic...

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #7 of 8
oh, i didnt know it had to be a source for anything else besides headphones, im sorry. lol yeah, we could talk about that for years, but theres already a billion forums for that.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 8
No worries, I'm still glad you mentioned it.  I haven't checked in on FiiO since they were making the little $20 job.  Good for me to see what they are up to.  I might be back on the travel horse again soon and if that happens I'll be looking for portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back