Good celtic music?
Oct 6, 2003 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

MusicLover

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently realized that I really like celtic music. It is very spirited and uplifting. What are some good bands? Feel free to talk about celtic music in general if you want.

Oct 6, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by hero zero
hmm...Celtic? does Clannad count?

Yeah, definitely. Although they are very unlike most Celtic bands, I really like them.

Oct 6, 2003 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 37
Clannad, Enya (solo career) are the only two that crosses my mind now, related to this but not exactly celtic Andreas Vollenweider also....

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 37
I also have been getting into this.

Check out Milladoiro , they are from Galicia, Spain aka Cletic country, they are awesome. All their Cds are must haves.

Also check out the Irish band The Chieftains they are great as well.

For Scottish Bandpipes check out John Burgess.

"The term 'celtic music' is a rather loose one; for the purpose of Ceolas, it covers the traditional music of the celtic countries - Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Brittany (in France), Galicia (in Spain) and areas which have come under their influence, such as the US and the maritime provinces of Canada, as well as some newer music based on the tradition from these countries.
The term is sometimes controversial. For starters, the Celts as an identifiable race are long gone, there are strong differences between traditional music in the different countries, and many of the similarities are due to more recent influences. There is also the notion that 'celtic' implies celtic mysticism and a particular influence in new-age music which has little to do with traditional music. In general, the strongest connections are between Irish and Scottish tradition and it is on these that Ceolas concentrates. Breton musicians frequently play in Irish or Scottish music and at least one modern Galician group (Milladoiro) sounds quite Irish. In Canada and the US, the traditions are much more mixed, and it is there that the term 'celtic' is most used, though it is also true that many groups from particular celtic regions play the music of another region too."

Read all about it :

http://www.ceolas.org/ceolas.html

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 37
Cheski has one recording I know of that is good, it's Rebecca Pidgeon Four Mary's. I have it on DVD. I wouldn't say it sucks me in 100%, but the recording is excellent and there are several tracks that stick in my mind.

Oct 6, 2003 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
FalconP had some good suggestions in the Masterpiece thread.

Thanks Blessing
smily_headphones1.gif

There has been quite a number of things in this thread already, I'll go to each of that:

1) For someone wanting a taste for Celtic music, I'd recommend something "lighter" and more new-agey, preferably by musicians with good trad credentials -- "hard-core" traditionalists take a bit of getting used to, as they may sound bland and repetitive for beginners; I personally had difficulties with Altan at first -- not their problem, of course
smily_headphones1.gif

So, which CDs to start with?

Song of the Irish Whistle vol.1 by Joannie Madden, front-lady of Cherish the Ladies. The best playing of Irish whistle you can hope for, with cutting-edge, innovative arrangements. There is a second volume, but it is little more than glorified elevator music and is best avoided.

A Different Shore by Nightnoise: the credentials of the members of this (sadly defunct) group is beyond repoach. On this CD they have taken a more laid-back and somewhat "jazzy" approach to Celtic music. Pensive, romantic moments are perfectly balanced by bright-colured, uplifting dances.

The Leaving of Ireland by Jon Mark and David Antony Clark: despite the lack of stellar players, there is no question about the playing there. A mixture of traditional instrumental, songs, narration, and ambient soundscapes, this concept album works wonderfully -- it is almost like watching a film or a documentry about the Irish people leaving for the New World.

Legends by James Galway and Phil Coulter -- before this album I never think James Galways can play traditional music (his collaboration manages to bring the Chieftains down). I think he's learned the knack here, and many tunes on this set are famous and was elegantly arranged.

2) On Clannad: there are two phases in their career -- the "traditional" phase and the "new age" phase, with the album Anam as the dividing line. With a few exceptions their traditional albums can be hard to come by -- get Clannad in Concert (1989, Shanachie) if you still can; otherwise at least Fuaim should be readily available. Amongst their latter "new-age" releases, Lore stands head and shoulders above the rest in every way -- if you can just have one Clannad album and don't want a sampler, then Lore is the one.

3) On the Chieftains: I can go on for days but I'll be quick -- basically, even though people think that the Chieftains are "the ambassadors of Irish music", their style is very idiosyncratic and I simply can't think of anyone else who plays like them (possible exception is the mid-80s Boys of the Lough, and even they sounded more polite than the Chieftains).

Their sound has changed somewhat throughout the years, becoming more "streamlined" and more chamber-music-like: it is interesting to compare early gems (like Chieftains 9: Boil the Breakfast Early with recent masterpieces like Water from the Well, noting that it was the same group of person playing on both sets!

As for the fusion projects that the Chieftains are notorious about, I think two has aged particularly well: Celtic Wedding -- music of Brittany and Another Country.

4) Beyond the Scots and the Irish -- Second KR's recommendation for Milladoiro -- if you have to get just one CD from them it is their live set As Fadas De Estrano Nome -- almost 70 minutes of great music. Although I'm not terribly impressed by their latest Auga de Maio.

The French Celtic community in Brittany is also famous for musicians -- although many of these are more interested in fusion than tradition: Dan Ar Braz is reasonably well known, and his "Héritage Des Celtes" series has spawned a few grand-sounding, star-studded releases. I also enjoy the trad-rock outfit Tri Yann, but their CDs are simply too hard to come by,

Wales is famous for their chromatic "triple harp" (leading exponent: Robin Huw Bowen); apart from that, don't know much about Welsh music.

5) About the term "Celtic" -- this term has been used so imprecisely that it is difficult to use it without inviting misunderstanding: Celtic is basically a linguistic definition. (although reputable medical texts do use it for persons with a specific kind of ancestry, or specific physical features). When refering to a style of music it is a harmless and convenient (but imprecise) catch-all phase (but I prefer to say "Scots-Irish" or whatever, unless I indeed need a catch-all phase). Outside music, this word is probably best reserved for linguistians.

Note: hyperlinks coming.

Oct 6, 2003 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Cheski has one recording I know of that is good, it's Rebecca Pidgeon Four Mary's. I have it on DVD. I wouldn't say it sucks me in 100%, but the recording is excellent and there are several tracks that stick in my mind.

I'm not terribly impressed by this album: Pidgeon has a nice voice, and she may be applauded for her patriotic spirit in making an album of Scottish folk tunes, but she and the material aren't exactly made for each other. Her interpretions are mostly bland and monotonous, although she is better on songs like "Haughs of Cromdale" and "Johnnie Cope" where the inner rhythm of the songs help sustain her momentum. The presence of the session musicians, which includes greats like Johnny Cunningham and Jerry O'Sullivan, were barely felt.

Pidgeon needs the right material to shine: her rendition of "Spanish Harlem" (on another album The Raven) is hard to beat.

Oct 6, 2003 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 37
Going to some older releases...

Sweeney's Men is a fusion of celtic music with the folk music of the 60's and earlier. The trio was exceptional: Andy Irvine, Terry Woods, and Johnny Moynihan. The first album is mainly traditional standards. After that, Irvine departed and the second album is only Woods and Moynihan doing all originals.

Planxty: The self-titled first album may be the best of this Irish supergroup, but they're all worth having. Christy Moore, Andy Irvine, Liam O'Flynn and Donal Lunny. Stunning combination of instrumentals and vocals.

The Bothy Band: Several great albums, but my favorite is "Old Hag You Have Killed me"

A rather unique approach was taken by early Horslips. Ostensibly a rock band, they wove traditional music into their rock compositions. You actually need to be somewhat familiar with celtic music to even hear it. "Dancehall Sweethearts" is one of the best.

Early Battlefield Band with Brian O'Neill and Alan Reid is wonderful music from Scotland, with O'Neill's guitar and fiddle played off against Reid's use of the traditional Scottish synthesizer
wink.gif

Clannad as a traditional group was much stronger than they are as a New Age group, IMO. In concert is good, but the self-titled first album is good (contains some folk before they went almost completely traditional). Dulaman is a good one from the traditional period (during which time they sung all of their songs in Gaelic).

On the British side, some innovative fusions of Celtic and modern music were done by Ashly Hutchings. The Albion Band's first efforts were along these lines, as were the Morris On albums.

The supergroup of the fusion of traditional Celtic Music and rock was Fairport Convention. Probably their best effort at the combination was "Liege and Lief", which contains some of the late Sandy Denny's finest work.

Steeleye Span was another group that took traditional Celtic music and played it on electric instruments. Their earlier albums with Martin Carthy may be the best of the bunch, but all are worth a listen.

Maddy Prior of Steeleye Span took a more traditional approach in her Silly Sister collaborations with June Tabor.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I've left off way too much.

Oct 6, 2003 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 37
Hi Hirsch,

I'd like to get much of the stuff you mentioned -- the early stuff like Sweeney's Men and Planxty (also De Dannan, Relativity and Skara Brae, etc) are uncommon and expensive: that's probably why I have more stuff from new/active acts than older acts -- at least I can easily find these used!

The Bothy Band is a steller line-up that has lasted all too short. All of their few albums have its virtues -- I perfer Live In Concert.

As for Battlefield Band -- they're remarkably consistent over the years, considering their line-up changes. I don't think there is any thing by them that I don't like. (with the possible exception of Live Celtic Folk Music, simply because it is too short and doesn't really capture the band in their full grandeur; and I suspect the two Music in Trust albums, with their "mood music" style, may not go down very well with some people) I'm partial to Davy Steele though.

The Tannahill Weavers is another long-standing Scottish institution, they do put out a few duds from time to time however. I don't have everything by them but I think Caperneum is probably right at the top.

Currently collecting stuff from the Scottish label Greentrax.

I need recommendations for Fairport Convention -- I have their 30th Aniversary 3-CD live set and I see they've tried out a variety of styles: I probably am not too keen on Richard Thompson sort of folk-rock, but the fiddleworks of Swarbrick and Christ Leslie sound nice. Would like to know which of their albums are heavier on tradition.

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Sweeney's Men is a fusion of celtic music with the folk music of the 60's and earlier. The trio was exceptional: Andy Irvine, Terry Woods, and Johnny Moynihan. The first album is mainly traditional standards. After that, Irvine departed and the second album is only Woods and Moynihan doing all originals.

Definitely a winner. You can get the double album "Sweeney's Men/The Tracks of Sweeney" for $10 or so (I got mine for $7 used). Excellent CD.

A newer album that is also excellent is Ensemble Galilei "From the Isles to the Courts."

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 37
Here's 2 left field suggestions:

How about Van Morrison? OK, he's not in traditional Celtic style, he fuses soul, R&B, gospel, and jazz into the mix, but it's amazing stuff. Get the re-mastered best of vol. 1, and the Vol. 2 disc. From there check out Moondance, Astral Weeks, Avalon Sunset, they'll blow your mind!

Also, if you want a touch of punk rock in your traditional Celtic blend, you MUST check out the Pogues. Totally genius band too good to last sadly. Poet for a singer, his songs will be covered for ages. There's a new Very Best Of that's a great place to start though mastering is so-so.

Mark

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by FalconP

I need recommendations for Fairport Convention -- I have their 30th Aniversary 3-CD live set and I see they've tried out a variety of styles: I probably am not too keen on Richard Thompson sort of folk-rock, but the fiddleworks of Swarbrick and Christ Leslie sound nice. Would like to know which of their albums are heavier on tradition.

Tradition is woven into their music at just about each incarnation of the band. Even the albums that are mainly modern compositions that they wrote show a strong traditional influence. They actually recorded more overtly traditional songs while Richard Thompson was with the band, it appears on a quick glance. Liege and Lief with Sandy Denny, Full House (post Sandy Denny) and Angel Delight (post Richard Thompson) have the largest number of traditional songs.

Sweeney's Men was recently released on CD, and shouldn't be that expensive. Transatlantic Records has been reissuing their back catalog, and some seriously good music that has been out of print for many years is turning up again. The first album by Gryphon is an example (although their later efforts moved away from traditional music into progressive rock).

Planxty shouldn't be that hard to find, as Shanachie Records in the US has had their albums in release most of the time. Most of them are on sale at Amazon.com in the US, anyway, right now.

Some omissions from above:

Silly Wizard: Scottish traditional group. Their early albums are amazing. The key players are John and Phil Cunningham, who also did the Relativity albums.

Sileas: Scottish harp duo. Two women, one playing a metal strung harp and the other playing gut-strung harp. The interplay is wonderful.

Five Hand Reel: Yet another great Scottish band. Dick Gaughan played on the first two albums before starting a solo career. Boys O' the Lough also features Dick Gaughan and is well worth finding.

Tim Hart and Maddy Prior: Folk Songs of Old England vol.1 and vol.2, and Summer Solstice. The acoustic side of Steeleye Span.

De Danaan: I bought these albums as they were coming out, so I've got all of the older ones. A great "modern traditional" band.

Skara Brae appears to be a precursor to the Bothy Band. I haven't heard this LP in years (I went digging on my shelves just now to see what was there and turned it up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back