Good cans for Vocal Trance. Need Bass
Apr 9, 2009 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

tynody

New Head-Fier
I know i like bass...a lot. I like to feel the music. But i don't want it to drown out everything. I guess tight and bumpy bass? Because I lisen to a lot of vocal trance, vocals are a core of the music so i need accurate mids. I like when the music sounds all around me, like i'm sitting in the music.
I need clarity. The music has to be crisp and clean.

I either listen to music at home from my PC (on board sound BLAH) or from my iphone so i would like something that sounds fine without an amp, but when i plug it into my sound card, it will sound great. I mainly listen to Vocal Trance, Trance, House, Electro, Happy Hardcore. In that order.

I currently have (don't hate me) Bose Triport In-Ear headphones, which i don't like. If i knew they would be so horrible for the price, i wouldn't have gotten them. I went from stock iphone headphones to those and it blew my mind how good they were in comparison. But knowing that they are pretty much non existent to the audiophile community i'm guessing they are horrible (correct me if i'm wrong).

My price range is low, but i would say around 200 dollars. A bit more if its a huge step up from under 200. I don't want people saying things around 500$+ marks, because that's just not in my budget. Semester is coming to a close, so ill be able to sell my books and hopefully have enough cash laying around to grab some good cans. I just want something that's great for my style and are fun to listen too.

TLDR:
  1. Genre: Vocal trance
  2. Cost: ~$200
  3. Used/New: Which ever :p
  4. Key features: Great bass, not muddy, nice mids, not too bright highs
  5. Type: Full closed (i hear that is better for bass)
  6. Comfort: I listen for hours at a time, so it is a big plus.
  7. FUN!: They must be fun to listen too :p
  8. Space: I really like to feel inside the music, not inside my head.

PS: Please forgive my horrible formatting and general horrible writing.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 93
Aren't those phones that require an amp? My iphone wouldn't be able to pump enough for those would it? If i need an amp, whats a good one that is relatively cheap? I thought i saw something about creating a homemade one, but im not sure.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 93
Well my main source is my PC, but i would like to use them with my iPhone.
I don't really want to carry around an extra box with my phone :p so i guess not.
Side Note: I have on board audio so im thinking about grabbing a new sound card, but im not sure which one to buy. I guess we will see if my wallet permits after i get phones.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 93
If you want Full Size can's then the HFI-680's or 780's will do fine with what you want. Something a bit smaller you could maybe consider the new Ultrasone Zino, which arent out just yet... so im jumping ahead with that. For IEM's the IE7's might go good for you or even a pair of M5/M8's. The 780's are greeeeeat for Trance and many other Electronic Genre's once they start to Open up. Always make me smile!

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want Full Size can's then the HFI-680's or 780's will do fine with what you want. Something a bit smaller you could maybe consider the new Ultrasone Zino, which arent out just yet... so im jumping ahead with that. For IEM's the IE7's might go good for you or even a pair of M5/M8's. The 780's are greeeeeat for Trance and many other Electronic Genre's once they start to Open up. Always make me smile!

Comfort factor is probably a hit or miss on those cans...

Maybe the DT 770?

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 93
You might want to consider Audio Technica M50s. I use these regularly without an amp with my iPod Classic. They are closed so you have some isolation and the bass has some pressure which you may find gratifying. I don't think the bass is as tight when you don't use an amp, but I haven't found this bothersome. Mids are decent so vocals, guitars sound pretty good. I've packed mine around a lot, stuffing them into my backpack, and they have proved sturdy and durable. That, as well as some measure of isolation, was a big consideration for me. They may not be as clear as you want though-- very hard to judge that. I find them comfortable, but of course YMMV.

If you had a Guitar Center or similar store, you might be able to audition them there. That's what I did.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 93
Honestly.... If you wear them in they are not all that bad. The DT770Pro's clamped alot more on my head when i owned them. SQ wise the 780's are another level.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 93
I wouldn't recommend the DT770(pro 80ohm), even though they deliver the bass. Quite horrible in vocals as they're recessed plus they have shrill highs.

Maybe the DT770 consumer edition? D2000 maybe but it's a bit above your budget.

Uhh... HD25/K271s?

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 93
The DT770's have lots of bass. Just last week, I was trying to decide between the 770's and 880's. The 880's are open set so they wouldn't fall within your specs, but I suggest you look into the 770's possibly. You can get a refurbished set for around $100 range.

If you want, I can tell you where you can get a fully refurbished DT770 for $100 from a person that works directly for Beyerdynamic. I got the 880's from him for $107 total with shipping. He also has a couple fully-refurbished 770-80 pro left in stock (essentially new since the drivers, cable, earpads and headband pad are all new).. Definitely worth the money IMO.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 93
Ultrasone is what you're looking for (HFI-780 are the top in your price range, unless you get Pro 750 used) if you need bass, my Pro 900 work amazingly well with [vocal] trance. Also consider the DT770 (I know, I'm late to the party) because they're also known as bass monsters, but I couldn't tell you how the vocals are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back