Good cables vs. crappy cables
Jun 24, 2003 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 24
I look at cables as a component. Your source might be $1000 but you might have to spend a lot more to improve on it. Where as that extra couple hundred dollars on cables might make a dramatic difference. Is it wise to spend $1000 on an IC when your source is $1000? If it improves the sound. It really depends on what equipment and what cables you already have and then identify your weakness. What if you have an overrated $100 cable and a giant killer source? Then your cable really isn't a $100 class cable and your source is really more of a $2000 class source. I just don't like the idea of spending $2000 to upgrade my $1000 source (unless I get $1000 in return for it). I don't think the margin is high enough. But I would spring for a $400-600 IC for my $1000 source even $1000 if it's a keeper. And the fact that sources seem to be improving at a faster pace than cables as of late.

Jun 24, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Howie
Probably not. Although money isn't always telling... a $30 IC is still in what I consider a "restrictive" category, meaning we're not talking about subtleties between cables but a big difference here. It would be easier to find a $600 that beats a $1000 player than a $30 that beats a $400 cable (unless of course you buy a cable made by me that I sell to you for $400).

Provided that every purchase is a shrewed purchase you'll have better luck finding a $600 cdp that compares well to the best out there at $1000 than a $30 cable that compares well to the best out there at $400.

I'm telling you this from my experiences and then generalizing them.
rolleyes.gif

You are wrong.

Biggie.

Jun 24, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by el_diablo007
system will mainly be either a Roland RD-600m, Hercules Game Theater XP sound card or my Logitech Z-560's connected to the sound card. The music will largely be CD's and 320 bitrate MP3's

Stick with Radio Shack.

Jun 24, 2003 at 5:15 PM Post #19 of 24
Good cables help, but don't spend more than 10-25% of the cost of your system on cables. For that logitech 560 system... i wouldn't bother.

Jun 24, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #21 of 24
"Actually, they custom make those RCAs. Regular Switchcraft RCAs are not going to hold the weight of cables."

sorry.....nbs audio cables is one of my customers.... we are an electronics distributor and i personally sell them the gold plated switchcraft part....

nbs audio cables as a company consists of an owner and 5 to 6 employees who assemble cables.... they have no manufacturing capabilities!!!!

Jun 24, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by RussKon
sorry.....nbs audio cables is one of my customers.... we are an electronics distributor and i personally sell them the gold plated switchcraft part....

nbs audio cables as a company consists of an owner and 5 to 6 employees who assemble cables.... they have no manufacturing capabilities!!!!

You are right. They don't manufacture parts there but assembling.
Do you know any other cable manufactures who you sell those RCA ends too?

I love those and haven't seen anyone else use em.

Jun 24, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #23 of 24
they are our only customer for that particular part.....

but if you are interested in the connector....we do sell to the general public as well as being a distributor....

Jun 25, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

I'm telling you this from my experiences and then generalizing them. You are wrong.

I'm not wrong and neither are you. As long as you're happy with the way you went about building your system and I in building mine then everything is fine. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back