Good cables vs. crappy cables
Jun 23, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 24
Well it depends on your system, and how you quantify the improvement. I'd say they can be medium level improvements because getting a quality source and amp are bigger improvements.

Jun 23, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 24
yeah ...definitely ...i have my m-audio revo as a source ...and 50 dollar zu cable rca --> mini's that blow away my previous monster cables....and recently had the chance to try kimbers hypergrade silver kcag cables which blows away my pivots ....with its incredible clarity ...but $2-300 cables thats going to be outta of my league for sometime ....if you have a good source yeah it itll make a difference big time ...itll seem as if you got a whole new amp ...

Jun 23, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 24
I would whole-heartedly say yes. In comparison to the Nordost Solar Winds, the cheap ass RCA's from Rat Shack sounded thin with less bass. I would recommend moving up to a low-end audiophile cable. Now upgrading to the cables that start costing hundred's of dollars a meter is a little iffy in my book, but then again, I've never had the money to go out and seriously see if they make a difference.

Jun 23, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 24
1000 cdp + 30 ic will sound better then 600 cdp + 400 ic in general.

Of course the 30 ic is not going to maximize the potential of the 1000 player.. $$

Biggie.

Jun 23, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Well it depends on your system, and how you quantify the improvement. I'd say they can be medium level improvements because getting a quality source and amp are bigger improvements.

system will mainly be either a Roland RD-600m, Hercules Game Theater XP sound card or my Logitech Z-560's connected to the sound card. The music will largely be CD's and 320 bitrate MP3's

Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Last time I checked, profanity is not encouraged in thread titles.

thank you for your input. i tried changing it, but to no avail, sorry about the profanity though

edit: i suppose the adapters (1/8" -> 1/4" or 1/4"-> 1/8") would have similar properties...

Jun 23, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 24
hey guys!

the problem is that you aren't spending enough on your cables!!!!!

how about $10,000 for a 4 ft rca cable...... yep ..once you hit that $10,000 mark per cable then you can REALLY hear the difference....

http://www.nbscables.com/products/new.html

this is not a joke .... this company really sells these cables....and yes some people do buy them.....

oh...by the way....the rca connector on the end of that cable is $6 switchcraft part.....

Jun 24, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

1000 cdp + 30 ic will sound better then 600 cdp + 400 ic in general.

Probably not. Although money isn't always telling... a $30 IC is still in what I consider a "restrictive" category, meaning we're not talking about subtleties between cables but a big difference here. It would be easier to find a $600 that beats a $1000 player than a $30 that beats a $400 cable (unless of course you buy a cable made by me that I sell to you for $400).

Provided that every purchase is a shrewed purchase you'll have better luck finding a $600 cdp that compares well to the best out there at $1000 than a $30 cable that compares well to the best out there at $400.

Jun 24, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by el_diablo007
system will mainly be either a Roland RD-600m, Hercules Game Theater XP sound card or my Logitech Z-560's connected to the sound card. The music will largely be CD's and 320 bitrate MP3's

I don't know what that Roland is. GTXP isn't the best of card nor are the Z560s great speakers. Thing is, you could get lower end cables to upgrade the sound but they would cost more than the GTXP or Z560 so that's a bit imbalanced. I would hold off on getting that cable and get M-Audio Revo for audio (not games). That would definitly get you clearer sound even if you had RadioShack cables. I own a Fortissimo III and Revo with RS cables and it was worth it for quality.

Jun 24, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by RussKon
hey guys!

the problem is that you aren't spending enough on your cables!!!!!

how about $10,000 for a 4 ft rca cable...... yep ..once you hit that $10,000 mark per cable then you can REALLY hear the difference....

http://www.nbscables.com/products/new.html

this is not a joke .... this company really sells these cables....and yes some people do buy them.....

oh...by the way....the rca connector on the end of that cable is $6 switchcraft part.....

I could tell that's definitely worth it. $10,000 cables must sound so good! They're probably worth double that! It even says "There is no superior cable in existence to the NBS BLACK LABEL." There's the proof right there.

Jun 24, 2003 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 24
Cables do make a difference, however, i think it's foolish to spend more than 100 dollars on cables, and yes, i realize i'm a hyprocrit with my cardas netural referances. They improve the sound, however, spending the money on a source is usually a better idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back