Good bye X10s, hello PFE - yay or nay?
Mar 16, 2009 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

the_dong146

100+ Head-Fier
So here's the situation. As we all know upgraditis - or at least looking for that perfect sound is a dangerous thing here at head-fi.

Currently I have a pair of X10s I am happy with, not extremely, incredibly so, but happy. As a non bass-head the bass can sometimes be, if not overwhelming, a little much. Coming from Shure SCL4s - and also just in general, I would prefer a little more balance with the mids. Do love the quality and extension of the bass (which amazed me the first time I heard them and still does) - and the detail on the X10s.

So reading through this forum (always dangerous), I can't help but notice the hype surrounding the PFEs, with descriptions of sound signature pretty close to what I'm looking for: strong, present and good quality bass, tempered with decent mids and detail and clarity. Now I realize that there are posts on this already (which is what got me thinking in the first place), but given my situation - do you experts think this would be a good idea/worth it? Plainly put - should I replace my X10s with the PFEs?

Some favourite bands - if it helps - Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Muse etc.

Thanks

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 102
Been reading a lot about the PFE's myself. I got my Image X10s back during the November sale, and at first it did seem like the bass was a bit overwhelming. Three months down the road I can safely say I've accustomed to it. It's not so much overwhelming, but like you said quality.

The only negative I find is that the little black casing (Is that the term?) is ripping a bit for me, but they still sound fine.

Paired with a CMOY amp I recently got, they're brilliant. The only upgrade I can see myself making now is possibly a LOD for my 2nd Gen Touch.

Either way, I'd love opinions from owners of both, or people who have tried both, as I am incredibly interested in the PFEs. Low price, great quality, great hype, kind of makes me want to buy them anyway.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 102
I have the Klipsch X5 (one of the best IEMs), and had the Phonak PFE (good IEM). The X10 are considered by many to be even better than the X5. So, read between the lines for my thoughts.

If you really must try the PFE, don't sell your X10's until you have an opportunity to test them head-to-head

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 102
Having come from the x10's myself and based on what you are looking for I don't think you'll be disappointed. As someone who is more critical of vocals and bass foremost I can say that the pfe's easily beat them on both. Bass extension on the x10's is impressive as well as the punch. However, if you can believe it, the pfe's have greater extension than the x10's with about 90% impact or so (dependent on source*). Again, the X10;s bass feels constricted and almost one-note in comparison to the pfe's. It is so much easier to follow basslines on the pfe's. It is much more airy.

Vocals are well represented on the pfe's and lose the graininess of the x10's and some of the sibilance too. They are much smoother with a tone that is more natural. They can also be driven quite loud without the distortion the x10 suffers. Finer details are much easier to pick up with the pfe's as no particular frequency stands out and it doesn't crap itself when there is alot going on. Soundstage is where these are let down, as the x10's create more magic in that department as instrument separation feels greater and it's a full on assault from all angles and heights. Again changes in amplitude are much better handled on the x10's which is a joy for alot of classical music.

*When it comes to the topic of bass and overall presence it is very much dependent on source. I happened to plug these into a Samsung Omnia which apparently uses the same chip as the iphone. I struggled to find the same warmth I did with my YP-T9. I couldn't even EQ it to the same level so be warned that source is a big deal with these iems unlike the x10's which I can plug into almost anything and will still sound relatively good.

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 102
I ditched the X5s for the PFEs and by doing so, took the proverbial cotton out of my ears.

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 102
I still own the X10s (passed down to my wife for their comfort), but when I did a simple head to head listening comparo, the mids and highs on the Images sounded muffled compared to the PFEs (cotton is a good analogy). But the best idea is to get the PFEs, and do the same, since you have 14 days to return them. And source is important, as is the possibility of using an amp, whichcan really bring out the PFE sound sig. No better way than to listen for yourself, and try all the filters and tips.

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 102
Perhaps I could have given a good comparison between my X10s and PFEs if the PFEs had not been defective out of the box!!!

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 102
You could have arranged for a replacement, but apparently decided not to. Not sure why that is relevant (it doesn't really help the OP at all). Others who have had issues with QC just asked for a replacement pair and got or are getting one. I understand frustration, but why didn't you give it a second chance? Just curious.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 102
In terms of the 14 day trial - I assume Phonak doesn't reimburse return shipping though correct?

Definitely considering it though - all things considered <$10 for peace of mind would probably be worth it

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 102
the fact that you mentioned bass before mids or highs worries me a bit about your interests in the PFE's. While the bass is there & it's accurate, it's definitely not the PFE's strong point. If running unamped, you may be a bit disappointed in the bass dept, unless you understand that you'll be making up for it in clarity.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_dong146 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of the 14 day trial - I assume Phonak doesn't reimburse return shipping though correct?

Definitely considering it though - all things considered <$10 for peace of mind would probably be worth it

Definitely considering it though - all things considered <$10 for peace of mind would probably be worth it[/QUOTE]

Not sure if that is true about return postage. Something to check. If you are in the U.S., that would cost $5 priority mail. Just sayin. I use the black filters and even without an amp, the bass is fine. What is your source? I have some issues volume-wise with no amp and the PFEs with the Clip, but not with the Touch 2G.

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #12 of 102
Wow - seems I've touched off a fair discussion.

Sources are as follows - HotUSB1 DAC around the dorm - Zune 80 on the go. Can't say I've ever really heard of earphones requiring amplification?

Also - @jleewach - by no means is bass my primary concern, if anything I'd have to put mids/detail/clarity above them, my mind just works its way from the bottom up if you will. From bass -> mids -> highs

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 102
I have the Zune 80 also, and while the PFEs sound very nice (I use the black filters, which are more bassy), they do have trouble getting enough volume sometimes, depending on the track. Earphones typically never "require" an amp, but the PFEs, to me, just sound even better with one. I have a cheap FiiO E5 ($22) and that gives the PFEs enough volume and bass boost. An amp is a hassle, I know. But the E5 is the size of a last gen iPod shuffle. Anyway, even using the Zune HP out, it does help with bass and volume issues.

Also, do the microphonics of the X10 bother you. I had issues with that for walking around, they made a lot of noise and I had to clip them, and sometimes that didn't work.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 102
The microphonics bug me a bit sometimes, though they really seem to be an on again off again issue. Sometimes it's there and it's rather annoying, other times I get none at all. It's weird.

Though with the PFEs having a 14 day trial period, I don't think I can pass up at least giving them a shot and comparing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back