good budget amps for AKG K702
Feb 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Just The Doctor

New Head-Fier
I am in the process of buying a pair of akg k702 headphones, and am wondering about amps.  I dont have much knowledge on this subject, but i know that these will sound alot better with an amp.  I spent all my money on the headphones, so dont really have much of a budget on amps, any suggestions would be awesome, thanks

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for the help, ill be sure to start saving, would they sound okay without an amp while im waiting to get one, or is it absolutely required to have one?  Also i heard the sound was much better with an aftermarket cable, is that true or does it not really make a difference?

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 16
The FiiO E9 (or whatever the new one is called, E09K or something like that) is a very competent amplifier, and will do a good job with the K701. I'd also suggest the Musical Fidelity V-CAN-II as well; between the examples I've heard, the MF has a better pot and (much, as in inaudible) lower noise floor, but it costs about twice as much. Either is really appropriate though.

I hear good things about the Schiit Asgard as well, but haven't tried one myself.

As far as driving the AKGs - they're relatively stable and low impedance (this is good), but also relatively insensitive (this is bad); they need something that can provide a few mW continuously (which is beyond the reach of most portable or embedded devices), but otherwise are fairly easily driven. No comment on the cabling. :xf_eek:

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 16
Best amp I've ever heard for the K702 and all AKG headphones is the Headroom Micro.
It's normally $350, but not on sale for $250 or so.

I also like the E9 and Magni for it, but the Micro is still worth it.

BTW I preferred the E9 with the K702 over the Asgard1, not sure about the Magni.
Sometime i'l give it another chance now that the Asgard 2 is out..

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 16
Though I can't tell you if it's better than the other amps recommended here, I can suggest the audio-gd NFB-15. It's also around $250 with shipping probably.

I'm using K701's with the older version, NFB-12, and they sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back