Good blocking IEMs
Apr 7, 2008 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MaxRabbit

New Head-Fier
Hey guys-I'm really happy with my JVC Marshmallows, only I'm looking for better cancellation of noise and possibly less microphonics. Good sound is also a plus
wink.gif

I'm running a <$120 budget

I've done my research for the most part-I've looked through the forums for great headphones on a budget and looked through reviews on Amazon. The best I seem to find is the super.fi 3 IEMs. However, some people greatly complain about microphonics-although I'm sure they couldn't get much worse than my cheap Marshmallows!

So I'm just open to suggestions or people saying that the super.fi 3s are good-so... thanks!

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 21
If you want less microphonics with the Marshmallows and more isolation, instead of buy another IEM, try inserting the marshmallows upside down so you can loop the wire around your ear. if you insert it upside down, you can get it considerably further in your ears and putting the wire over your ears cuts down the microphonics significantly

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want less microphonics with the Marshmallows and more isolation, instead of buy another IEM, try inserting the marshmallows upside down so you can loop the wire around your ear. if you insert it upside down, you can get it considerably further in your ears and putting the wire over your ears cuts down the microphonics significantly

I've noticed this-thanks for the suggestion. However, microphonics is only a sub-issue for me; my main issue is the isolation.

I've done some more research, and the ER-6i IEMs also look very decent...

So-suggestions, ER-6is, or super.fi 3?

Appreciated!

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go for used Etymotic ER4S or new ones (USD 170) - except if you're a basshead. Then I'd go for Etymotic ER4S and use them on a rockboxed iPod
biggrin.gif

(They sound great and have *excellent* isolation. The best phones to use in airplanes.)

Thanks for your suggestion! I really appreciate new suggestions, but I'll tell you what confuses me-people might say a $180 pair is terrific while others say the same about a $70 pair. What gets me: are the $180 much better, and justifying the $90 more? Are they even better at all-how would you know?

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxRabbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed this-thanks for the suggestion. However, microphonics is only a sub-issue for me; my main issue is the isolation.

I've done some more research, and the ER-6i IEMs also look very decent...

So-suggestions, ER-6is, or super.fi 3?

Appreciated!

The ER-6 isolate better. What kind of music do you listen to?

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 21
If you are coming from the Marshmallows then the Ety's probably will not have enough bass for you. I would suggest the Atrio M5 if you like bass. Check out road-dog-on-line on Ebay. He'll take an offer of $130.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 21
I listen to rock music-so bass it slightly important. However, I've read reviews that original bass-lovers realize that they were missing the good parts of the music because their bass was drowning it out...l

The Atrio M5s are good in isolation? Also, what about sound quality compared to any of the other suggestions?

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER-6i kick UE super fi3 butt anyday in terms of Sound Quality. And i hope the reason you are spending $120 on earphones is because of SQ.

And isolation!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

So between all of the choices, which ones have what strong points?

May 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 21
I'm reluctant to buy anything still. I don't want to spend $70+ on something that won't be really good!

Can someone give me more information than just recommendations. Right now, I'm leaning for the ER-6i... But still not sure.

May 15, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #13 of 21
Since you like the Marshmallows (which gave me headaches because of the boomy bass and drowning out the other fequencies, so I returned them), the Etymotic line probably doesn't suit you... Try UE's line. Your budget of $120 should guy you a brand new Super.fi 3, or second-hand Super.Fi 5 if you stretch it a bit???

May 15, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 21
I think what needs to be said here is that IEMs isolate pretty similarly model to model and also the IEM does not matter, it's more the tip. I had/have super.fi 3s (no idea where I put them when I moved back from college) and they sound quality is good,the bass is fine too a little lean but after you use them say 30 hours they sound warmer, I really like mine. Also, you could get Super.fi 3 pretty cheap at buy.com with google checkout rebate, then maybe get some shure black foam tips and the tips would isolate better than the stock UE tips, though I never had trouble with isolation. Good luck, UE is a good brand from what I know and alot of people champion etymotic so I think they are both good options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back