good bass headphones for 200$ (CANADA)
Aug 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Ch1Kn

New Head-Fier
I understand post like this have been made a lot but I can never seem to find something that EXACTLY suits me.
(I have a low budget so I want to get exactly the best band for my buck)

One of my main problems is that I live in Canada and people on forums tend to post with american prices in mind... things here tend to be more expensive
I tend to listen to dubstep (Rusko, Caspa, Datsik, Excision) and am starting to get into DNB (Noisia, Netsky) however sometimes I like to listen to more melodic and more refined music like deadmau5 (at play vol. 3) and stimming (melodica is my favorite song by him) 

I am also starting to get into rock (led zeppelin, pink floyd, nirvanna)
I tend to like headphones that are bass heavy but not overdone like beats, I currently use the soundmagic e10 and at my desktop i have some klipsch promedia 2.1's
I really like the way these two speakers sound.

Five of my favorite songs are   There and back by Wolfgang Gartner (all time favourite love the chords)
                                            Ten years gone by Led Zeppelin
                                            Drain you by Nirvanna
                                            Love has gone by netsky
                                            Somebody I used to know by gotye

Btw what is everybodies oppinion on the fiio e6 amp found it for 25$ http://www.mp4nation.net/headphones-amps/audio-amplifiers/fiio-e6-portable-audio-headphone-amplifier

I also Really like the beginning drums in sounds like teen spirit by nirvanna

My Budget is about 200$
I DO NOT OWN AN AMP

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 17
Aug 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 17
Long & McQuade and Canada Computers sell the M50s for less than $200 before tax/shipping. You could also look at: Ultrasone HFI 580, beyerdynamic DT770 (80 ohms) or V-Moda M80.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 17
what would you guys think of the hfi 580s vs the 780s
and is the fiio e6 an amp worth getting (its cheap but its also small enough not to ruin the definition of portable)

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 17
I have the 780's with an E11 amp.

I live in NS... I bought my stuff from B&H photo video out of NY.
The 780's are $150 at B&H right now. You only pay GST & approx $9
Shipping.

I havn't heard the 580's, but they apparently have more bass than the 780's, and the bass on the 780's you can feel as well as hear.

The Sansa Clip+ I have will drive them to a too loud level, so you don't really need an amp depending on your source.
I got the E11 so I could use the line out from my iPod.

The only thing I do not like about the HFI 5/6/7 series is the nice shiny cups will scratch if you look at them the wrong way. Other than that I like the sound, they are not the most comfortable headphones and the pleather gets sweaty.

I listen to Deadmau5, a little DubStep some Bob Marley, Rammstein, Amon Amarth, and lots of classic Rock. These 780's work well with all those.

Check out B&H, some cans can't be shipped to Canada (Grado's & Senn's) but most can and they are duty free thanks to NAFTA :wink:

I'd suggest you save up a little more as it will open up a whole next tier for you... Such as the Ultrasone Pro Series if you looking to the Ultrasone brand...

Good luck on your quest!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 17
Aug 30, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 17
Personally I'm not a fan of any ultrasones... Didn't like the 580 since they sounded super dull while the 2400 have a sharp V-shaped signature which I didn't like (preference).

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 17
Great thread there Armaegis, I have it subbed on my computer but not on the phone... :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Fixed on the computer...

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 17
Hey i was thinking about the ultrasone 780 but after some research found out the treble might be too bright for my likeing.
Then found the m-audio q40 which have supposedly reminded somebody of the ultrasone hfi 5/6/7 but without the recessed mids and the bright treble.

any oppinions on the m-audio q40? And apparently it's only 35 ohms, would a psp, or a tablet be able to power that or should i buy an amp?

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 17
The Q40 can certainly be driven from a portable device, but it does benefit from amping. Not a necessity per se, but something to consider down the road. 

I've actually got a modded Q40 I'm not using all that much at the moment... 

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
The Q40 can certainly be driven from a portable device, but it does benefit from amping. Not a necessity per se, but something to consider down the road. 

I've actually got a modded Q40 I'm not using all that much at the moment... 

How do you like the Q40?
How do they sound?
Are they worth 150$ (Cheapest I could find in canada)
Thanks.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 17
Some Q40 notes:

- Bumped bass with both fairly strong midbass & subbass, on a basshead scale, I'd put them right between entry-lvl basshead (ATH-M50, V-Moda M80) and extreme basshead (XB series, V-Moda Crossfade LP series etc)
- Reasonably "Neutral" and fairly balanced mids & highs (slight spike around 9kHz but otherwise rolls off slightly in the upper-highs but otherwise neither dark or bright)
- Ampless usage: A bit lack of transparency in the midrange and bass definition. Midrange can sound somewhat smeared and doesn't "jump out of the rest", laid-back & unexciting but NOT recessed. Lack of dynamicness in sound.
- Stock pads can easily be modded to sound better: take a half piece of kitchen paper towel and stuff underneath the pads to make them slightly deeper which tames 9kHz spike slightly and gives slightly better soundstage & separation and better fit (your ears won't be lying right next to the driver)
- Somewhat picky about amp used, especially how great midrange detail is percieved, can go from a bit poor to above average midrange detail for its price depending on amp used.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Some Q40 notes:

- Bumped bass with both fairly strong midbass & subbass, on a basshead scale, I'd put them right between entry-lvl basshead (ATH-M50, V-Moda M80) and extreme basshead (XB series, V-Moda Crossfade LP series etc)
- Reasonably "Neutral" and fairly balanced mids & highs (slight spike around 9kHz but otherwise rolls off slightly in the upper-highs but otherwise neither dark or bright)
- Ampless usage: A bit lack of transparency in the midrange and bass definition. Midrange can sound somewhat smeared and doesn't "jump out of the rest", laid-back & unexciting but NOT recessed. Lack of dynamicness in sound.
- Stock pads can easily be modded to sound better: take a half piece of kitchen paper towel and stuff underneath the pads to make them slightly deeper which tames 9kHz spike slightly and gives slightly better soundstage & separation and better fit (your ears won't be lying right next to the driver)
- Somewhat picky about amp used, especially how great midrange detail is percieved, can go from a bit poor to above average midrange detail for its price depending on amp used.

would you say the q40 amped sounds better then the m50 amped? (your oppinion pls give details to why)
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back