Good bands that people have forgotten about.
Apr 22, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #46 of 131
Ride
The Stone Roses
Jeff Buckley (?), not sure if many people here even know of him, based on my Jeff Buckley post
The Verve, why the hell does everyone think Bittersweet Symphony was their best song??? It was far from it, so many great songs...

Apr 22, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #47 of 131
I saw a couple mentions for The Church. I could not agree more. They hit it big in 1988 with their "Starfish" album, but they have also made several stellar albums prior to and after "Starfish". The Church have a new on coming out in July. I can't wait. In my opinion, They are the most underated band out there.

Apr 22, 2003 at 2:41 AM Post #48 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
AW....C'mon..................Quarterflash is good. In fact this thread reminded me of them, so I whipped out their best of album and gave it a new listen. Great stuff here. Smooth and mellow
smokin.gif

I'll have to take your word for it, I'm not that familiar with them. I was just being funny.

Apr 22, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #49 of 131
Quote:

The Verve, why the hell does everyone think Bittersweet Symphony was their best song??? It was far from it, so many great songs...

I couldn't agree more. I've got urban hymns, and i really love the album. In fact, bittersweet symphony is one of my least favorate songs of theirs.

I thought of another name to add to the list, frank black, either during, or post pixies

Apr 22, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #50 of 131
Mountain's songs ranged from power chord rocker's such as the above mentioned "Mississippi Queen", "Never In My Life", and "Boys In The Band" to beautiful slower melodic songs such as "Theme From An Imaginary Western", "For Yasguer's Farm", to acoustic based tunes like "To My Friend" and "The Laird".

Originally posted by RickG

Good choice, Rick. I saw Mountain live way back when, and it was a very good concert. People from that era only seem to recall the heavy duty rockers, and forget the great, more melodic stuff. Theme From An Imaginary Western was a big favorite of mine.
As for Felix Pappalardi, didnt he die some years ago?

JC

Apr 22, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #51 of 131
Ten Years After

Apr 22, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #53 of 131
Not for their hits, but for their live performances. They were one of the best live performances/jam artists of the 70s.

Their studio work is generally ****.

Apr 22, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #54 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by Trounce
Not for their hits, but for their live performances. They were one of the best live performances/jam artists of the 70s.

Their studio work is generally ****.

it's too bad Head-fi doesnt have an ftp space to upload and download song samples...
I'd like to hear a lot of the stuff that head-fiers bring to my attention

never heard ten years after live

Apr 22, 2003 at 12:36 PM Post #55 of 131
VERVE
You guys are joking right that "bittersweet" is not a great song? I agree entire CD "urban hymns" is great, but bittersweet is the main attraction.......which tracks do you think are better? (sonnet is great track also)

THE CHURCH
Don't want to pick on people's selections but..........Last year picked up used copy of "under milky way best of" because of all the gushing raves here and it was remarkably bland/boring collection of music, couldn't sell it fast enough......what am I missing?

RIDE, MY BLOODY VALENTINE
Yes, Yes, Yes.......we could have listed many more great albums here by catherine wheel, curve, slowdive, lush etc.......total bliss out man.

Apr 22, 2003 at 1:14 PM Post #56 of 131
Dark Angel. I guess different taste for different people. Some people get the Church, others don't. Its no big deal. The Church are the kind of band that some poeple can't get into, for others like myself a light goes on and we can't get enough of them. They have a huge cult following of fans around the world.

Apr 22, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #57 of 131
bittersweet symphony is a good song, but I'm saying there are others that are better. Many people think that Bittersweet Symphony is their ONLY good song (one hit wonder). Examples? Starsail, The Drugs Don't Work, Lucky Man, Velvet Morning, A Man Called Sun, Neon Wilderness, to name a few. A Storm in Heaven is a better album than Urban Hymns in my opinion.

Apr 22, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #58 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by Mallow005
bittersweet symphony is a good song, but I'm saying there are others that are better. Many people think that Bittersweet Symphony is their ONLY good song (one hit wonder). Examples? Starsail, The Drugs Don't Work, Lucky Man, Velvet Morning, A Man Called Sun, Neon Wilderness, to name a few. A Storm in Heaven is a better album than Urban Hymns in my opinion.

I think I will get used copy of VERVE "storm" album since I am big shoegaze fan. I did at one time have "nothern" album but liked "urban" better.............also agree "velvet morning" is very good track.

Apr 23, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #59 of 131
What ever hapened to.....????

Sly and the Family Stone: Amazing stuff in "Stand!"

70's rock sound: The Guess Who, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Thin Lizzy, Foghat, Grand Funk Railroad, Free --> Bad Company.

What ever happend to Todd Rundgren??? How about XTC or The Tubes (I LOVE T.R.A.S.H.: Tubes Rarities and Smash Hits)?

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back