Good Balanced DAC/Amp w/ Microusb input?
Sep 2, 2018 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

katulu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Looking for a good DAC/Amp that has 1) Microusb input 2) balanced output (2 3-pins, to send to a dedicated amp).

Could be portable or tabletop, and could include any other features. Just want to be able to use my Galaxy S5 as source. Assume I have $3000 for budget. Thanks!

Sep 2, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi all,

Looking for a good DAC/Amp that has 1) Microusb input 2) balanced output (2 3-pins, to send to a dedicated amp).

Could be portable or tabletop, and could include any other features. Just want to be able to use my Galaxy S5 as source. Assume I have $3000 for budget. Thanks!

Portable DAC-HPamps have only headphone amp outputs. Only SE DAC-HPamps tend to have line outputs since balanced amps take up more space on the PCB.

Desktop units very rarely have anything other than USB-B and when they do, they have USB-A for Apple devices.

Your best bet is still a desktop unit. MicroUSB isn't necessary since you'll use a USB adapter on the S5 anyway, and since you're not trying to keep it compact, no problem with using the regular OTG dongle.

Your main problem then is software compatibility and if it has a line out and not just a preamp output; power source might be a concern but nowadays it's rare for the USB chip much less the DAC chip itself to be dependent on bus power other than on completely USB-powered DAC-HPamps.

Off the top of my head, AudioGD has line outputs on DAC-HPamps.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Portable DAC-HPamps have only headphone amp outputs. Only SE DAC-HPamps tend to have line outputs since balanced amps take up more space on the PCB.

Desktop units very rarely have anything other than USB-B and when they do, they have USB-A for Apple devices.

Your best bet is still a desktop unit. MicroUSB isn't necessary since you'll use a USB adapter on the S5 anyway, and since you're not trying to keep it compact, no problem with using the regular OTG dongle.

Your main problem then is software compatibility and if it has a line out and not just a preamp output; power source might be a concern but nowadays it's rare for the USB chip much less the DAC chip itself to be dependent on bus power other than on completely USB-powered DAC-HPamps.

Off the top of my head, AudioGD has line outputs on DAC-HPamps.

Jeez, thanks so much. I had to read it a couple times but I understand what you're saying. I guess I could go broke with a Chord Dave, since at least I know teh Chords work with Android...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back