good balanced amp?
Apr 4, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, but what are the major differences between opamp vs discrete? What should I expect in a normal case scenerio?

An op-amp is an IC. Aka, micro-chip, whatever you want to call it. Zilliions of sub-miniature transistors inside. Discrete refers to a circuit that's been planned out with "discrete" electronic components - resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc.

As I'm not familiar with the technical differences, I'll leave that to the ones who can answer, but op-amps are like a tiny package whereas a discrete approach allows the amp designer to manually plan out his circuit. It tends to get a better rep because it allows for more "creative freedom" you could say, rather than building around an op-amp. But op-amp designs can be good too, it really depends on the implementation.

As for the balanced Beta 22, its designer has stated there is no commercial equivalent. As n_maher pointed out, the parts cost alone ranges at around $1.5K. Very few amps on the market are that expensive in parts. While cost doesn't equate performance, there's still something to be said for a price that high. And since the Beta 22 is a DIY project and not a commercial product, there's an inherent cost savings. If it were commercial, you could expect to pay at least double for it due to profit mark-up and such. If the labor is also $1.5K, then add another healthy amount that can be considered production profit - like the $5K figure that n_maher mentioned. Yes it's super expensive, but it's also the only amp of its kind on the market today.

I would also point out the HeadRoom Balanced Desktop for an <$1K amp. Either that or a balanced M^3 or balanced Mini^3. The latter two would require commissioning a builder with the time and patience to do it though, and there isn't exactly a boatload of those people around here.

The closest commercial relatives to a balanced Beta 22 are the HeadAmp GS-X and Singlepower Square Wave XL btw.

Apr 4, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #17 of 51
Thanks guys for all the insight. I hope I'm not being a hassle, I'm still a newb, trying to learn what I can in order to enjoy the best sound coming out of a pair of cans. I respect everyone's opinion and strive learn as much as I can so I'm not wasting money for nothing.

So the headamp gs-x is a good design? But at the same time, it's still not as good as a beta22? I am not capable at all building my own amp, so even if a DIY project is a good bargain, I wouldn't trust myself enough to get it done. If the beta22 is as good as it gets, then I'll definately need to to find someone to do it.

Apr 4, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #18 of 51
You might legitimately ask yourself if you need "as good as it gets". I mean, what's the rest of the system that this balanced amp whatever it might be is going to be paired with?

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 51
^agree. Technically speaking, you're not going to find better than the b22 (to my knowledge). Will the GS-X sound just as good? Who knows, only your ears can decide that. n_maher has brought up a great point on the diy b22 for sale, though. It doesn't seem anyone's too willing to do it, due to the huge time sink involved. I've had to turn down may folks as I'm busy with work and planning a wedding, and it's not worth it for me to make the kind of profit off it I feel comfortable asking for.

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the headamp gs-x is a good design? But at the same time, it's still not as good as a beta22? I am not capable at all building my own amp, so even if a DIY project is a good bargain, I wouldn't trust myself enough to get it done. If the beta22 is as good as it gets, then I'll definately need to to find someone to do it.

The Beta 22 is a monster of an amp no doubt, but do you need a monster? If not, then the HeadAmp GS-X will be just as good, it's a very fine amp too. And it's a commercial product so it's easier to buy.

Keep in mind these amps are extremely revealing of your source and will not perform anywhere close to their full potential with sub-standard equipment.

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #21 of 51
i think you should read this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/com...beta22-312745/

and also:
Glass Jar Audio
B22 4qty amp boards w/ all components in kit form (i think it includes shipping) @ 340

Glass Jar Audio
Sigma22 PS w/ all components in kit form @ 103 ?shipped?

what's left? a transformer, some XLR sockets, terminal blocks, SA, enclosure...
i havent mentioned anything about competency. This is a large project; the b24 is going to even more complex
wink.gif
Labor is expensive, that's why you DIY.

you want a ready built one at $1695 plus shipping:
rockhopperaudio.com

get on the group buy list and wait a couple months.

you can get a headamp GSX for around the same price, but youll have to wait a couple months also.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's left? a transformer, some XLR sockets, terminal blocks, SA, enclosure...

Thanks, I caught your reference to glassjar last time and I stand by what I said since I've built 3 beta22s. I'm also going to guess that you haven't built much, eh? There's a lot left after merely stuffing the boards and not only can it be less than half the time investment but it can be less than half the overall investment as well. You could blink and spend $500 just trying to case up this amp.

Quote:

you want a ready built one at $1695 plus shipping:
rockhopperaudio.com

get on the group buy list and wait a couple months.

The group buy is over and he's not making any more of them, so that's not an option.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 51
i haven't built a B22 Yet. Eventually, when Time is not an issue i will.

I do realize that we have a lot of "_philes" on here and presentation is weighted almost as much as how it sounds.

I agree it takes a lot of money and time for finishing and presentation (more than actually building the functional amplifier). I could spend hours figuring out how i would run a maze of wires through a b22 enclosure. I could spend even more time making templates on paper on how i want the front and rear plates to be cut out. Yes...

I personally could care less if it was presentable or not (unless i was satisfied with the functionality end that additional investment in making it pretty is justified). Barebone means just that. You want to sit pretty with a Grado RA1 for $200 or do you want to build a clone in an altoid box for $20. I'll take the mints and clone. (i'm not knockin the RA1 despite what i read in That thread).

My viewpoint = Presentation is unfortunately a major reason for the diminishing marginal return. It might help resale. I'm sure there are people out there who agree to buying barebone for half off as long as it was well built or they listened to it first. Then make an enclosure to their own specs or have it made.

What is a botched DIY build to you?

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is a botched DIY build to you?

One that was built so poorly that it requires repairs.

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I caught your reference to glassjar last time and I stand by what I said since I've built 3 beta22s. I'm also going to guess that you haven't built much, eh? There's a lot left after merely stuffing the boards and not only can it be less than half the time investment but it can be less than half the overall investment as well. You could blink and spend $500 just trying to case up this amp.

The group buy is over and he's not making any more of them, so that's not an option.

Actually I contacted him (Stephen at Rockohpper) about a month ago and he sent me a firm quote for a 2 sigma22 board beta22 setup for under $1700 but I backed out because I had not heard the amp and 3 months is a long time to wait. I would highly recommend people contact him before stating that he's not doing stuff......
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beta 22 is a monster of an amp no doubt, but do you need a monster? If not, then the HeadAmp GS-X will be just as good, it's a very fine amp too. And it's a commercial product so it's easier to buy.

Keep in mind these amps are extremely revealing of your source and will not perform anywhere close to their full potential with sub-standard equipment.

How many of you guys have heard both amps? I think I may be the only person here that has (I am almost certain that I'm the only one that's spent a long time with both at the same time), but go ahead and keep talking about beta22 parts costs in the 1500 range (not true) and built prices in the $5000 range (again not true)....

The beta22 is a technically amazing amp but the exact GS-X design is not known and we can't say with any certainty if it's better or worse technically. All I can tell you is that both amps are designed to be transparent (as any amp should be) and that for HD650s the sound is as best a hairs breath difference between the two. They are both discrete and they are both amazing sounding. (Yes the GS-X has a IC in the DC servo but really how is that ever going to effect the response in the audible frequency range?)

I'm getting tired of people declaring that the beta22 is the ultimate when they have no proof that any of the other designs are not the ultimate. That said I'm becoming more and more convinced that there is nearly no audible (to me) difference between the two (for these phones which by all accounts are very hard to drive) and I've got good ears.

To settle the matter I and another beta22 owner (he built his own) are going to meet up and do a little listening together in a week or two. His is a two sigma22 build with all the upgrades (better stepped attenuators and fancy cabling) which should make for more of a comparison if there is any to be made.

Cheers,
Chris

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many of you guys have heard both amps? I think I may be the only person here that has (I am almost certain that I'm the only one that's spent a long time with both at the same time), but go ahead and keep talking about beta22 parts costs in the 1500 range (not true) and built prices in the $5000 range (again not true)....

The beta22 is a technically amazing amp but the exact GS-X design is not known and we can't say with any certainty if it's better or worse technically. All I can tell you is that both amps are designed to be transparent (as any amp should be) and that for HD650s the sound is as best a hairs breath difference between the two. They are both discrete and they are both amazing sounding. (Yes the GS-X has a IC in the DC servo but really how is that ever going to effect the response in the audible frequency range?)

I'm getting tired of people declaring that the beta22 is the ultimate when they have no proof that any of the other designs are not the ultimate. That said I'm becoming more and more convinced that there is nearly no audible (to me) difference between the two (for these phones which by all accounts are very hard to drive) and I've got good ears.

To settle the matter I and another beta22 owner (he built his own) are going to meet up and do a little listening together in a week or two. His is a two sigma22 build with all the upgrades (better stepped attenuators and fancy cabling) which should make for more of a comparison if there is any to be made.

Cheers,
Chris

As FallenAngel just pointed out, the GS-X is a balanced Dynalo, which is an open-source DIY project, just like the Beta 22. All the info anyone would need to know about either circuit has been published online.

Second, I haven't made any claim to the sound of the Beta 22 vs GS-X. Sound is subjective. But technical data, parts, implementation, & measurements are not, and it's easy to find out this information on both circuits on their highly-published Web pages.

Third, the balanced Beta 22 parts cost is approximately $1.5K-$1.8K depending on what the actual parts are. Various reliable sources have established this, including thrice and n_maher, among others. And the ~$5K commercial value is an estimation, also mentioned by reliable sources (Ti Kan and n_maher).

Fourth, the balanced Beta 22 deserves praise. Most DIY builders, who have seen the other balanced amps on the market, seem to agree it's the most advanced design on the market today.

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #29 of 51
I think a bare bones B22 with single power supply in a single case, with minimal inputs/outputs can be built for $1000-$1400 (DIY). And if minimal is what your after and only plan to using balanced in/outs and are just going to drive headphones then you should be fine in that price range.

Now to do it properly (IMHO) it is going to cost $1500-$1800 in parts. I am currently finishing up four of them and I can tell you that the parts cost is definitely in the upper end of that price range.

I also think that 60-80 hours is a fair guess but am willing to bet it it's a first build you can double those numbers. I would say I have spent at least 20 just acquiring parts and thumbing through a Mouser catalog.

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second, I haven't made any claim to the sound of the Beta 22 vs GS-X. Sound is subjective. But technical data, parts, implementation, & measurements are not, and it's easy to find out this information on both circuits on their highly-published Web pages.

if the Beta22 is technically superior but doesn't sound any better than a commercial amp, then that fact almost becomes irrelevant - a footnote. the benchmark for performance is sound not specs; at least, it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back