Good Audirvana substitutes?
Feb 9, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #16 of 23
Cost of Lumin U1 mini?
@fabelstruck - I get your point, but I could also revert the question: cost of buggy, limited in functionality software? but you are right: Lumin costs a lot even with a discount. However you get a software and a hardware in a package. Even Poly is a few years of current Audirvana Studio subscription (assuming they will not increase pricing eventually). It is a perfect solution - no. Does it work for me - yes it does. In a long run I do prefer paying for a product that delivers what is promising instead of paying small fee monthly to finance somebody playground in software development.

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #17 of 23
@fabelstruck - I get your point, but I could also revert the question: cost of buggy, limited in functionality software? but you are right: Lumin costs a lot even with a discount. However you get a software and a hardware in a package. Even Poly is a few years of current Audirvana Studio subscription (assuming they will not increase pricing eventually). It is a perfect solution - no. Does it work for me - yes it does. In a long run I do prefer paying for a product that delivers what is promising instead of paying small fee monthly to finance somebody playground in software development.
I quite agree with your comments on Audirvana studio but my question was straightforward. I was just asking about the cost which I do not know.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #19 of 23
foobar2000 plays anything and is free. It is not a music UI though and no support for conglomerating streaming services.

You could see if a Node 2i would work for you, or maybe a NAD with a BluOs card. There is no monthly fee and the software is quite good.

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #20 of 23
I currently use Audirvana Studio for my laptop and I don't mind much about the subscription though I do not like the idea.
The problem is that the software is glitchy and crashes my windows every now and then. It is really unacceptable that they haven't yet addressed this issues once and for all. I mean how difficult is it to make a stable upgrade?
But I stream tidal and I have yet to find a cost effective alternative.

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #21 of 23
I currently use Audirvana Studio for my laptop and I don't mind much about the subscription though I do not like the idea.
The problem is that the software is glitchy and crashes my windows every now and then. It is really unacceptable that they haven't yet addressed this issues once and for all. I mean how difficult is it to make a stable upgrade?
But I stream tidal and I have yet to find a cost effective alternative.
If you are streaming from tidal why not use Tidal app directly? Roon is more stable from my experience than Studio but still DSD output maybe problematic.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #22 of 23
If you are streaming from tidal why not use Tidal app directly? Roon is more stable from my experience than Studio but still DSD output maybe problematic.
I noticed that there is a significant difference in SQ between the Tidal app and UAPP on my Android devices.
I assumed something similar might be the case with windows. But I haven't really A/B Audirvana and Tidal app very carefully to tell you the truth. You believe it is the same?

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #23 of 23
In my experience with my Auralic Aries Femto Network Bridge, I get very inconsistent network connections and most of the time the music will just stop 10-20 seconds in, requiring a power cycle of the hardware and a software reset using Auralic's own Lightning DS software. It's a total pain in the ass and I'm told it's because Auralic doesn't do UPnP correctly. Of course, they think they do and point fingers at Audirvana. But basically, Audirvana is unusable in my network and with my hardware.

Bottom line: if your hardware works, consider yourself lucky as Audirvana's sound quality is excellent, almost like having a tube preamp...almost. But if you have problems with networking, you're SOL (crap out of luck). People have complained about this for years and it's nobody's fault, really. Tech companies, software especially, aren't big on being consistent with consumer standards except for a few exceptions. Anyway, Audirvana is probably best used connected via USB.

Just my $0.02. YMMV and all. Good luck. For the rest of us, there's Roon (no thanks), and other hardware/software combinations (like Aurender, dCS, etc.) or Raspberry Pi things with open source software (you just have to invest the time and effort).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back