Good and Bad recordings
Dec 21, 2008 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Bohemianism

100+ Head-Fier
I've heard that the quality of an album can vary from CD to CD. How do you know you're getting a good recording? Just buy listening, or are there other signs too? Is there a way to avoid it, or is it just luck of the draw?

Dec 21, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 17
Well, there are ways to figure out...
* Some record labels have a reputation of higher quality mastering/recording level than others.
* Some artists have a reputation of higher quality mastering/recording level than others.
* Read reviews/impressions.
* Listen before buying.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there are ways to figure out...
* Some record labels have a reputation of higher quality mastering/recording level than others.
* Some artists have a reputation of higher quality mastering/recording level than others.
* Read reviews/impressions.
* Listen before buying.

What are some of the record companies with a reputation of higher quality?
Same for the artists?

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohemianism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same for the artists?

VERVE for label

Neil Young(for the most part)and Diana Krall for artists

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccontreras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Loudness War

The Death of High Fidelity : Rolling Stone

That's a fairly depressing article. Much of what I read seems to be depressing these days. Seems the desire for quality is diminishing and we're in the minority now.
I think education is important. So many people (using my friends as an example) don't realize any of this, they don't know there's good sound and bad sound.
I definately support that sticker on the CD's idea.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 17
I had a look at a few of my own songs in Adobe Audition, the waveform is exactly what they say it is.

Maxxing out, clipping. Even on well produced music.

I'll have to look for a flac plugin and see what I can see.

EDIT:
You'll be happy to now, Mozart isn't a protagonist in the loudness wars.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 17
So true Bo...

We gotta school the younger ones and/or the clueless ones. All it takes is an A/B comparison and then it's like WHOA...I never realized how bad that was...lol

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 17
I totally agree fido.
Since I started developing taste for good quality sound (although I'm not completely there yet), I've been showing those around me the difference, and a high number of the people have made the first step of deciding to buy better quality headphones. I have a few friends who are getting into it to an even greater extend. If only I could convince my dad, he's a stubborn on, and subscribes to what's popular is best other it wouldn't be popular.
confused_face.gif

I remember when I first heard good sound, having been listening to crappy MP3's on and ipod with stock earbuds; it was like I'd been deaf previously and I was hearing for the first time. The only reason I had compromised for so long was because I didn't even realize there was an alternative.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Same for the artists?

Record companies/labels:
Linn Records
Naxos
2L

Artists:
Øystein Sevåg
Kari Bremnes
Nils Petter Molvær
Diana Krall

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 17
So you can only go by the reputation of the record company and not like you can tell a bad recording just by listening to it? I mean, how do you know what the original source was supposed to sound?

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you can only go by the reputation of the record company and not like you can tell a bad recording just by listening to it? I mean, how do you know what the original source was supposed to sound?

This does a good job of explaining it:

3Gmex_4hreQ

Format is a good guide, as well. Vinyl doesn't have compression problems, though some of the digital masters today aren't so great. SACD tends to be mastered for audiophiles and you'll rarely find a "hot" one. Reel-to-reel also tends to be recorded very well.

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

I totally agree fido.
Since I started developing taste for good quality sound (although I'm not completely there yet), I've been showing those around me the difference, and a high number of the people have made the first step of deciding to buy better quality headphones. I have a few friends who are getting into it to an even greater extend. If only I could convince my dad, he's a stubborn on, and subscribes to what's popular is best other it wouldn't be popular.
confused_face.gif

I remember when I first heard good sound, having been listening to crappy MP3's on and ipod with stock earbuds; it was like I'd been deaf previously and I was hearing for the first time. The only reason I had compromised for so long was because I didn't even realize there was an alternative.

Here are a couple of neat little quotes from Winston Churchill:

"Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth but most of us manage to pick ourselves up and hurry along as if nothing had happened."

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 17
I was astonished by the difference between RHCP's Stadium Arcadium normal to ripped from vinyl edition.
Normal one is a prime example of volume pumped to max and is painfull to listen for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back