Good amplifier theory/practicum book
Mar 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mewrei

Head-Fier
Now I've picked up a few books like "Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics" and "The Audiophile's Project Sourcebook" and read through them, and while they've been decent at detailing some amplifier theory, they haven't really delved into filter circuitry and amplifier topology to the point where I can pick up an amplifier schematic and say "hey, that's a Sallen-Key low-pass filter biased at 100kHz" or similar.

So does anyone have any recommendations to make another stumble into continuous electronics? Preferably something with more electronic theory, and amplifier theory, while not skimping on practical amplifier examples and breakdowns of schematics.

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 8
Consider:
The Art of Electronics (Horowitz & Hill)
Valve Amplifiers (Morgan Jones)
Build your own High-end Audio Equipment (Elektor Electronics)

If you want some of the older books which are fine for theory then download them free from here: Technical books online , and say 'thanks' to the good Mr. Millett.

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 8
Great recommendations!

Be sure to read Bruce Rozenblit's two books, as well. For a good primer on design and building, pull up Boozhound Labs and read through the amp project there. I'd also recommend browsing eBay to see if you can find a DVD with the old Sound Practices magazine issues in PDF. That is extremely instructive and you'll learn a great deal about design.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also recommend browsing eBay to see if you can find a DVD with the old Sound Practices magazine issues in PDF. That is extremely instructive and you'll learn a great deal about design.

If you don't mind a few $ postage the 744 page CD is available from here: magazines homepage

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

<snip>
For a good primer on design and building, pull up Boozhound Labs and read through the amp project there.
<snip>

I always recommend that one too. A very good introduction to basic tube amplifier design.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 8
I assume you mean the "Vacuum Tube Primer" page. Looks pretty good thus far from what I'm reading.

Also need to pick up a few of those books. Thanks for all the info guys.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

For a good primer on design and building, pull up Boozhound Labs and read through the amp project there.

I always recommend that one too. A very good introduction to basic tube amplifier design.

I also like boozhound labs.

Even if you are not interested in speaker amps, I would read his articles on them as well to get a feel for the thought process he goes through. It translates well to headphone amps.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 8
look for research papers on specific things you want to learn. There is rarely a one kind of book that does everything for you.
frown.gif

I find microelectronics circuit analysis and design from Neaman good though
biggrin.gif
But abit of maths so it might be kinda annoying.

I use it for my course.

Best way is to use the same books the electronics students(specializing in the analog domain) use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back