Good amp under $200?
Apr 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ajjekko

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, a bit new here. I've been lurking around a bit and I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile although I sure would like to have higher quality sound
smily_headphones1.gif
. Budget is just a bit short. Currently I have the X-Fi Xtremegamer sound card paired with my HD555 headphones. The sound is great in my opinion, but would like it to be better. I understand that the HD555 won't improve much with an amp, but I would consider upgrading my headphones later. I was wondering which amp to buy, or a DAC. I don't really know how or what the DAC does. If I was to be recommended a good amplifier, how would I go about hooking it up? My HD555s have a 6.3 to 3.5 converter, so they work with an iPod, my computer, anything with a headphone jack.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 7
Why not look at a DAC/AMP combo?

Since it seems like you have one nice set of headphones, I would look at getting

Portable:
iBasso D2 or D3

Stationary:
Zhaolu with Discrete amp upgrade

Just amp:
SSMH (Starving Student Millett Hybrid)
CKKIII

If I was you, I would get better headphones and then buy the D2.
A DAC/Amp will do more good with better headphones, otherwise you may find the difference to be not much. Those headphones are ones which seem to benefit little from amping anyway, so keep that in mind.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 7
Amp: CKKIII, preferably used.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 7
I dare say that this would be perfect for you. Nab it quick.

You could use the mini-optical output of your X-Fi Xtremegamer into the DAC of the Octavart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back