Good amp to go with a 24ohm headphone?
Jul 1, 2011 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RockyFi

New Head-Fier
I hope it's ok to post questions here.

Anyway, I have acquired a pair of xb700's and have heard that they are 10x better with an amplifier.  So I asked my dad since he knows all about it and has built himself like 6000 dollar worthy amps.  Been a while though I guess.  Anyway, he's a speaker guy not a headphone guy.  So I was wondering if you had suggestions on what would be good?  I am dying to get a kit but I can't find many cool ones.  I am a teenager so I don't have a ton of money but I do work full time makin about 360 a week.  Unlike most teenagers I actually save my money and tend to not spend much at all.  But I want to experience these headphones much more :)

So this is what I have come across so far:

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Fi-Man-EF2A-Tube-Headphone/dp/B004357WL8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1309490462&sr=1-1

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-312

http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=224&rn=442&action=show_detail   If I got this one I'd more than likely build my own case.  Preferably brushed aluminum, otherwise a dark red stained wood.

I'm also curious about some information on amps.  I'm new at this so I may be a dumb dumb but what do they really do?  I thought they just make things sound louder, how does that make for better sound quality?

What do you think?  The third link is a little more than what I'm willing to spend but may be worth it I guess.  

If it matters, I love bass.  Have had a few headphones now and have always hated missing that low end which I personally find very important.  Just a matter of personal taste I suppose

And last thing.... I promise!  This is hte full size amps I know but got any suggestions on portable amps too?  I'm tempted to get that cheapy Fiio e5 I think it is.  like 23 bucks on amazon real small.  Can't find much on it though since it says it is for high ohm headphones not low which mine are. (24 ohms)

Thank you for reading!

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 5
You'll probably want a solid state amp or a tube amp with output transformers. Most OTLs have an output impedance higher than 24 Ohms, you don't want that.

Look at the offerings over at AMB's site. The M^3 might be an excellent choice since it can be built with a variable bass boost control. Add bass if you want. If you want to spend a little more, build the Beta22. One of the best amps out there at any price. AMB has the boards and a few parts. Glass Jar Audio sells full component kits.

And get your dad involved. If he can build a speaker amp, he can build a headphone amp. Same principle, less power. Not much different from a preamp, which he has probably built.

If he's a tubehead, look at the projects at HeadWize. Some very good ones are there.

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 5
r..otAt 24 ohms for the headphones the first two choices are good and the last is all tube which I do not think it is suitable for your headphones. If you wanted to try tubes, a hybrid model is better like your first choice the Hi-Fi Man which also has a USB DAC or the Little Dot 1+ would be good choices and you would have plenty of power to drive your current headphones. How much improvement you will a separate amp depends. Do you like music on the go? There are good portable amps as well and you do not have to spend allot of money eithe 
At 24 ohms for the headphones the first two choices are good and the last is all tube which I do not think it is suitable for your headphones. If you wanted to try tubes, a hybrid model is better like your first choice the Hi-Fi Man which also has a USB DAC or the Little Dot 1+ would be good choices and you would have plenty of power to drive your current headphones. How much improvement you will a separate amp depends. Do you like music on the go? There are good portable amps as well and you do not have to spend allot of money either.

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I hope it's ok to post questions here.

Anyway, I have acquired a pair of xb700's and have heard that they are 10x better with an amplifier.  So I asked my dad since he knows all about it and has built himself like 6000 dollar worthy amps.  Been a while though I guess.  Anyway, he's a speaker guy not a headphone guy.  So I was wondering if you had suggestions on what would be good?  I am dying to get a kit but I can't find many cool ones.  I am a teenager so I don't have a ton of money but I do work full time makin about 360 a week.  Unlike most teenagers I actually save my money and tend to not spend much at all.  But I want to experience these headphones much more :)

So this is what I have come across so far:

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Fi-Man-EF2A-Tube-Headphone/dp/B004357WL8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1309490462&sr=1-1

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-312

http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=224&rn=442&action=show_detail   If I got this one I'd more than likely build my own case.  Preferably brushed aluminum, otherwise a dark red stained wood.

I'm also curious about some information on amps.  I'm new at this so I may be a dumb dumb but what do they really do?  I thought they just make things sound louder, how does that make for better sound quality?

What do you think?  The third link is a little more than what I'm willing to spend but may be worth it I guess.  

If it matters, I love bass.  Have had a few headphones now and have always hated missing that low end which I personally find very important.  Just a matter of personal taste I suppose

And last thing.... I promise!  This is hte full size amps I know but got any suggestions on portable amps too?  I'm tempted to get that cheapy Fiio e5 I think it is.  like 23 bucks on amazon real small.  Can't find much on it though since it says it is for high ohm headphones not low which mine are. (24 ohms)

Thank you for reading!

The E5 is more of a volume booster than an real man's (lol) amplifier. I have one, and it's pretty cool for what it is. But it won't make a difference in sound quality. FiiO sells the E9 model as their amplifier for full-size, power-hungry cans, which I think is around $100. Never heard it, but it should work. I have heard the PreSonus HP-4, which has enough power for anything dynamic, and also runs around $100. A cMoy should do the trick too, and you can have fun building it yourself. the M^3 Uncle Erik mentioned is a great choice if you want a bigger project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back