Good amp for the HD800S? Little dot MK6+?
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #17 of 26
Just my two cents - I use the Lyr 3 (with Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE tube) and the Bifrost 2 as source, it sounds amazing.

I've had the HD600, 650, 700, and the HD800S with this amp / DAC combo are my clear favorite. For almost all genres.

Could go Mjolnir like recommended above but tube rolling is easier for the Lyr...

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #18 of 26
Just my two cents - I use the Lyr 3 (with Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE tube) and the Bifrost 2 as source, it sounds amazing.

I've had the HD600, 650, 700, and the HD800S with this amp / DAC combo are my clear favorite. For almost all genres.

Could go Mjolnir like recommended above but tube rolling is easier for the Lyr...

all your headphones are dynamic! hehe

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #20 of 26

The Lyr is a hybrid amp right? that means it's ok to use it with planars as well not just dynamic? I'm kind of new to tubes, what does tube rolling mean? The valhalla has 4 tubes as opposed to the 1 tube of the Lyr, isn't it better then since it has more tubes? I have no idea..

Jan 8, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #21 of 26
The Lyr is a hybrid amp right? that means it's ok to use it with planars as well not just dynamic? I'm kind of new to tubes, what does tube rolling mean? The valhalla has 4 tubes as opposed to the 1 tube of the Lyr, isn't it better then since it has more tubes? I have no idea..

The Lyr is a hybrid yes - which means it has the power for any type of headphone you can throw at it. Enough power for the HD800S' which can swing into 700 Ohm impedance loads at times. The Schiit website has more in the FAQ as far as how it is a hybrid - I'm not sure how much you know about gain-stages, etc. Read up on the continuity circuit and Coherence tech - from the words of Jason Stoddard:

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 11.44.49 AM.png

I was actually planning on getting into planars relatively soon... No worries about how this amp will be able to power them.

As far as tube rolling goes - different tubes have different sound profiles, they distort the music (on purpose of course) in different ways. No need to ever tube roll if you like the stock - but the option is there if you want it. Simply search "6SN7 Tubes" on google and start exploring. No need to find a 'matched set' - the Lyr only takes one tube.

The difficulty with multiple tubes is you have to find a 'matched set' - which essentially means their performance and characteristics are matched by the retailer using special equipment. For older tubes (not new production like my tube) - this can be tricky sometimes.

Hope this helps! Happy Listening :)

Jan 10, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #22 of 26
Thanks for the info.. I bought an Ifi iDSD Signature for the meantime while I haven't bought any tube amps and desktop dacs yet as I transport the headphones from 2 locations per week.. :) hopefully in the future I'll try the Lyr or if I stumble upon anything interesting. Some people recommended the Darkvoice, or the Xduoo TA-20..

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #23 of 26
by the way, are tube amps usually single ended? will having a balanced tube amp make a significant difference?
Balanced headphones will not make a significant difference, over single ended.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #24 of 26
I own the HD800S and I absolutely love them with my Bottlehead crack which has been optimized for large sound stage and clarity with my tube choices and capacitor upgrades. At first, I paired it with a Schitt Modi Multibit DAC. This was originally to drive my HD650 and HD600s which is did fabulously. I then purchased a Hugo 2 originally to drive my IEMs, but I decided to set it up in desktop mode and pair it with my BHC and it worked wonders. I was going to upgrade my Mimby to a Bimby, but with the Hugo 2, I don't need to do it anymore. The BHC really warmed up the sound signature significantly without sacrificing much sound stage. The sound is glorious. Huge sound stage, great clarity, decent resolution and detail retrieval. It is my ideal sound signature for classical music and jazz. The only issue is that the BHC doesn't have TOTL resolution, so I need to upgrade my Amp to have a really great orchestral music system. I just purchased a HIBY R6 2020 so that I can play with EQ to tame the treble on HD800S so I can use the Hugo 2 amp which has much greater resolution and detail retrieval. It's just too bright on its on without EQ or filters.

Just to know more.. I might get the bottlehead crack, would you recommend I get the speedball upgrade..? When you say tube choices and capacitor upgrades, what tubes do you use and what capacitors did you have to change? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back